• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2014...CLOSED FOR THE 2014 SEASON

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

Me, and my Cacho de Cabra, which stands at 4' tall.

Some non-chinenses.

Chinenses.

GRIF 9265.

I'm using the square foot gardening method.  Plants are getting close.  I like the appearance.

A weird cross.

MoA, Scotch Bonnet.  Can't wait for these.  I have 4 plants.

Weather is into the 90s today, and will hit 101F tomorrow.  It's funny the misconceptions people have about Oregon weather, in particular, southern Oregon.  Good luck to all.  I hope this Pacific Northwest GLOG will be a success!

Roguejim said:
Welcome, you're getting a lot of ripe pods already. Is this normal to be getting that many ripe pods this time of the year in your part of Oregon?

I've been considering cutting off the lower branches myself, but couldn't decide either way. A little chicken, too. With the square foot garden I have, it would make watering and fertilizing easier. On the other hand, the lower leaves provide shade to the root zone. Then again...my plants are so close together, that the ground is pretty well shaded except for the east side edge. Hmm, I could convince myself either way. Is there any down side to that lower branch pruning?
Lots of baby pods, but I'll take 'em.  I'm sharing almost all of them with my neighbors.

I don't prune all the lower branches, just the ones that don't have any flower buds by this stage.
Some people prune all the branches below the primary fork, I gather.
I also prune out yellowing and damaged leaves, so that opens up some space, too.

I can't think of any down side but I'm no expert.

We broke the heat here - .45 inches of rain today.
How about down your way?

Got a small harvest of Jolokia's today. It wasn't long after that a big storm blew in and proceeded to blow all of my plants over. Got drenched as I ran around bringing them in. Oh well, we needed the rain. We have a few 10,000ha+ burning in our area.

I did manage to put a small pea sized chunk of Jolokia into the chili smothered pork we did up tonight. The bit can be seen in hanging off the pod in the upper right hand pepper in the pic. The ol' lady didn't know it was in there and said that the dish was hot for just having cayennes ;). Couldn't hide my grin. Gave me the sweats.

Neil

PaulG said:
Lots of baby pods, but I'll take 'em.  I'm sharing almost all of them with my neighbors.

I don't prune all the lower branches, just the ones that don't have any flower buds by this stage.
Some people prune all the branches below the primary fork, I gather.
I also prune out yellowing and damaged leaves, so that opens up some space, too.

I can't think of any down side but I'm no expert.

We broke the heat here - .45 inches of rain today.
How about down your way?
Heat broke, just a little rain, and back to 98F by Saturday.
Blister said:
Got a small harvest of Jolokia's today. It wasn't long after that a big storm blew in and proceeded to blow all of my plants over. Got drenched as I ran around bringing them in. Oh well, we needed the rain. We have a few 10,000ha+ burning in our area.
I did manage to put a small pea sized chunk of Jolokia into the chili smothered pork we did up tonight. The bit can be seen in hanging off the pod in the upper right hand pepper in the pic. The ol' lady didn't know it was in there and said that the dish was hot for just having cayennes ;). Couldn't hide my grin. Gave me the sweats.
Neil
Nasty looking pods, man! I hope mine turn out like yours.

Portland garden update...

My Mystery Peppers are starting to show some pod growth.  I still have zero idea what they are yet but I hoping for Jalapeno's seeing as my "Jalapeno's" really aren't Jalapeno's at all.

and 

My Trinidad Butch T Scorpion and Bhut Jolokia are starting to grow nicely.

I seem to have a bit of Blossom End Rot on this Bell (that as supposed to be a Jalapeno).

My Floridade Tomatoes are really starting to pop too.

And now for the desert next year that is.  STRAWBERRIES!!!

Oh damn!!!  I forgot to say what it is.  I took a plastic rain gutter and mounted it to a 2X4 on the outer edge of my deck rail.  Then I filled it with potting soil, compost, garden amender, worm castings and rock dust.  So dlsolo hit it right on the money with the rain gutter part but they are strawberries.  That is the mix I used for transplanting several of my plants last weekend into bigger pots.  I am definitely going with a raised bed next year, pots are a PITA!!!    :P

I was just out checking out the pepper garden again and found a little Habanero. 

And these are some more of my Mystery Peppers:

These pods are only about 2" long.

Are these Goat weed?  Did I even get close with that name?

and

Roguejim said:
Mystery peppers look similar to serranos.

I have two Serrano plants that don't have the white fuzz growing on them so that's was why I figured they were something else.  I remember someone posting something about Goat's Weed or something like that and thought that might be what this pepper is.

OK folks I potted my baby's onto 1 gallon pots. I will begin the process of hardening off next Friday..

20140725_1943061_zps4432cf3e.jpg

LowDrag said:
Oh damn!!!  I forgot to say what it is.  I took a plastic rain gutter and mounted it to a 2X4 on the outer edge of my deck rail.  Then I filled it with potting soil, compost, garden amender, worm castings and rock dust.  So dlsolo hit it right on the money with the rain gutter part but they are strawberries.  That is the mix I used for transplanting several of my plants last weekend into bigger pots.  I am definitely going with a raised bed next year, pots are a PITA!!!    :P

Darn it, I was close.  I like that idea for strawberries.  

Ok folks. I have submitted the paper work and will be a sunlight systems supply buyer at the wholesaler level. I will pay what grow stres pay. Lets think about what we want, and figure out pick up at the warehouse in Vancouver, Wa. I will be looking in too a membership as a store after I post this.

oo I will be getting a membership soon as I hear back from the sales guy.

KevinH said:
OK folks I potted my baby's onto 1 gallon pots. I will begin the process of hardening off next Friday..

20140725_1943061_zps4432cf3e.jpg
Hi Kevin,
The plants look great, but I have to ask whether there is enough time in your season to bring these plants to fruiting, unless you have indoor HID lighting?

KevinH said:
So lets get a seed co op for the north west going.
Do you think there are enough people?  I'm not so sure...We would probably want to wait until after harvest, in any event.  More seeds.

Roguejim said:
Do you think there are enough people?  I'm not so sure...We would probably want to wait until after harvest, in any event.  More seeds.

I agree this should wait until after harvest, but I think it might be cool if everyone swapped seeds from plants that grew best in the NW. Just a suggestion for everyone here.

Back