• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

I might as well do a photo update.  These first 2 photos are from the same plant.  The first photo shows the pods before they turned red, a few weeks back.  The second photo shows the current pods; totally different shape.  They are looking like paper Lantern Habs in the second photo.  They were supposed to be Choc Handgrenade Hab

Jamaican Mushrooms, Round 2.

Scotch Bonnet Fariah, I think...Round 2.

MOAs, I think...Round 2.   I lose track after about 10 photos, sorry!

Ma Wiri Wiri, Round 1.

Aji Pineapple, Round 1.

Cacho De Cabra, Round 1.  5' tall. 

Cherry Hots.  Can't wait to try a simple pepper sauce with these.

Large Orange Thai.  Growdown Throwdown entrant...ain't gonna win.

Big Jim's, Round 2.  Getting some BER on these.  My unproven theory is, "the bigger the pods, the more susceptible they will be to BER".

Mystery plant.  Cayenne?  One pod ripened red.

Another mystery/cross, Round 2.  Ripens orange/yellow.

Hope your harvests are bountiful!

Looking good Jim. It won't be long before you see color. Looks like the heat is still sticking around. No harvest here. I've got one Jigsaw about the size of a nickel. The other Chinese are not ready to flower. I'll see pods the end of August through September.

Thanks for sharing. Hope you have a good weekend.

organic pepper said:
Wow Jim! looking sweet buddie! I had to restart to whole batch but, lets see what comes off of it. I mentioned to you I lost the whole crop for the fam emergency a few months back but this is where I'm at for the moment. This is my second start up after I lost the whole first batch.

I didnt make the air pots like I wanted to,. Been busy with other things on the grilling thread. You guys are rocking thou!

Hey Organic Pepper, welcome back (to this thread)!  I'm sorry to hear about your crop, so even more about a family emergency.  Hope everything is ok.  Your restart looks pretty good.  If you are gonna have a late start to growing, this is the year to do it.  Weather models show upper 70's and low to mid 80's all the way through mid November.  So you should still be able to get a good big of pods.

turbo said:

Hey Organic Pepper, welcome back (to this thread)!  I'm sorry to hear about your crop, so even more about a family emergency.  Hope everything is ok.  Your restart looks pretty good.  If you are gonna have a late start to growing, this is the year to do it.  Weather models show upper 70's and low to mid 80's all the way through mid November.  So you should still be able to get a good big of pods.
Thanks Turbo,  Just hoping to get some peppers to for my dry rubs. That would be awesome if the weather can hold till November. Everyone's pics are looking awesome! Cheers all!

We finally got a bit of rain up here in Seattle this weekend.  It was nice not having to hand water for a couple days.  And this week we're back in the upper 80's.  The plants should respond nicely.

My Brazilian Starfish  is pretty loaded
IMG_2841.jpg

This will be my first ripe Starfish.  Can't wait to try it.
IMG_2854.jpg

Aji Peruvian seeds were a freebie from PepperLover.  They are turning out to be a favorite of mine.  They ripen early, and have a really sweet, almost cherry like flavor.  But a nice kick of heat as well.  Not to mention it is really beautiful with the plant if full of pods of different maturity.
IMG_2857.jpg

A friendly little bumble bee taking a break
IMG_2864.jpg

Trinidad Scotch Bonnet (seeds from plant BPWilly gave me last year) is packed with big pods.  Some are starting to turn red.  Can't wait to see what this guy looks like in October
IMG_2866.jpg

Another view of my Trinidad Scotch Bonnet
IMG_2875.jpg

turbo said:
We finally got a bit of rain up here in Seattle this weekend.  It was nice not having to hand water for a couple days.  And this week we're back in the upper 80's.  The plants should respond nicely.

My Brazilian Starfish  is pretty loaded
IMG_2841.jpg

This will be my first ripe Starfish.  Can't wait to try it.
IMG_2854.jpg

Aji Peruvian seeds were a freebie from PepperLover.  They are turning out to be a favorite of mine.  They ripen early, and have a really sweet, almost cherry like flavor.  But a nice kick of heat as well.  Not to mention it is really beautiful with the plant if full of pods of different maturity.
IMG_2857.jpg

A friendly little bumble bee taking a break
IMG_2864.jpg

Trinidad Scotch Bonnet (seeds from plant BPWilly gave me last year) is packed with big pods.  Some are starting to turn red.  Can't wait to see what this guy looks like in October
IMG_2866.jpg

Another view of my Trinidad Scotch Bonnet
IMG_2875.jpg
That Scotch Bonnet is loading up. What variety of Aji Peruvian are you growing?
turbo said:
Any idea what weather models are for southern Oregon? We're heading into 100+F days again.

Roguejim said:
That Scotch Bonnet is loading up. What variety of Aji Peruvian are you growing?

Any idea what weather models are for southern Oregon? We're heading into 100+F days again.

Hey Roguejim,
I didn't realize there were more than one variety of Aji Peruvian.  I get them as a freebie from PepperLover when I got some seeds last year.  Here is the link. 

http://pepperlover.com/pepper-seeds/pepper-species/capsicum-baccatum/aj%C3%AD-peruvian-detail

I don't know if this pepper is just a pepper from Peru, or a specific variety called Aji Peruvian.  I do know that its yummy!

Here is a pretty in depth article talking about the current weather pattern we're having in the Pacific NW.  It looks like it affects both Oregon and Wash long into next year

http://www.komonews.com/weather/blogs/scott/Seattle-warm-stretch-to-last-into-October--2016-315989291.html

ColdSmoke said:
This plant is turning into a monster
image_zpsywgah7dk.jpg

Is that a golden cayenne? Such beautiful peppers.
Yes as a matter of a fact it is Golden Cayenne. Well done
sorry wrong post lol

Hey guys! Nice to see how well everyone's plants have been doing. I'm happy with how my grow has turned out so far for my first year. I do feel like I'm behind compared to a lot of you guys so I think I will start my plants in December instead of late January for next years grow. I have only got to harvest a handful of habaneros, thai chilies, jalepenos, and some long ones I don't know the name of. I do need help identifying some of the peppers since I lost track of labeling them while transplanting. I hope to get pods off all so I can have seeds for next year.

I'm guessing this is a reaper? https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/8ZHKTNFq-2cuMxIJ_DiKb5kYj195vTURQy3z_l4GTLo=w1280-h720-no

I have no idea what this is, my friend ordered some seeds which were supposed to be peter peppers but this is what I got. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/FgyuXrUJHW5QLQl5qeGt4Xgl0FoUGju3AoBD16mgLfg=w1280-h720-no

I'm pretty sure this is a red moruga but please correct me if I'm wrong. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/TPojHz0KZX5sBoTvVtDfY0hghEdWPtIu_yrWit3lZco=w1280-h720-no

I planted way to many this year and will probably do half next year. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3Ma7YLCTHRmak31VMOB6MgBotGD7namPMseO-CT_vws=w513-h911-no

My little habanero tree. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/6jAFFAl5wLX0LbUM1_13oI_-4r135ulVqnQwr_M88f4=w1280-h720-no

Footballhead said:
Hey guys! Nice to see how well everyone's plants have been doing. I'm happy with how my grow has turned out so far for my first year. I do feel like I'm behind compared to a lot of you guys so I think I will start my plants in December instead of late January for next years grow. I have only got to harvest a handful of habaneros, thai chilies, jalepenos, and some long ones I don't know the name of. I do need help identifying some of the peppers since I lost track of labeling them while transplanting. I hope to get pods off all so I can have seeds for next year.

I'm guessing this is a reaper? https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/8ZHKTNFq-2cuMxIJ_DiKb5kYj195vTURQy3z_l4GTLo=w1280-h720-no

I have no idea what this is, my friend ordered some seeds which were supposed to be peter peppers but this is what I got. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/FgyuXrUJHW5QLQl5qeGt4Xgl0FoUGju3AoBD16mgLfg=w1280-h720-no

I'm pretty sure this is a red moruga but please correct me if I'm wrong. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/TPojHz0KZX5sBoTvVtDfY0hghEdWPtIu_yrWit3lZco=w1280-h720-no

I planted way to many this year and will probably do half next year. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3Ma7YLCTHRmak31VMOB6MgBotGD7namPMseO-CT_vws=w513-h911-no

My little habanero tree. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/6jAFFAl5wLX0LbUM1_13oI_-4r135ulVqnQwr_M88f4=w1280-h720-no
Very cool group of plants. It might be easier to identify the pods after they ripen. You might be right on the reaper, and moruga.

I agree with Jim's comments above, Very hard to say exactly what your plants are at this point.  Some of them are definitely super hots, but beyond that it is hard to tell.  Your plants don't look behind at all as I don't have many ripe super hots yet myself.  getting some of annuums (jalapenos, etc) but the only ripe supers I have gotten are the early small ones.  The regular shaped and sized ones are just as green as yours at this stage, but they should be getting color soon.

Looks like you are doing pretty good!

Finally got around to shooting some update pictures.  Most pods are still green, but getting larger, so color should be soon.

Start with a first for me, the 7 Pot BubbleGum
Here is one that is getting larger
BBG3_zpsfxgk5thj.jpg

Here is a smaller one getting color
BBG2_zpsl3b8f8wf.jpg

Here is a 7 Pot Red Brain Strain  - They are all getting this nice shape
720Pot20Red20BS201_zpseamvslov.jpg

Chero Roxa  - This plan just keeps growing taller, but has finally started putting on pods
Chero20Roxa_zpsw8pawipc.jpg

This one I am really looking forward to.  First time growing it.   Jigsaw
Jigsaw203_zpsd3rarstc.jpg

Peach Naga  new one as well from Judy (PL)
Peach20Naga202_zpsz2ftgpde.jpg

This one sure looks like a Farmers Market, but is a Albanian Red Hot - from Judy as well.
Albanian20Red20Hot202_zpsz0ufofab.jpg

Black Pearl
Black%20Pearl_zpsojugatsp.jpg

A very productive mis-marked unknown.  Looks hot regardless
Mismarker%20-%20Unknown_zpstpqs4qu3.jpg

Looking for more color soon as the plants are liking the milder weather we are having and not dropping as many flowers.
Dosed them all with a good foliar AACT yesterday, so they would be picture perfect this morning!

Bill

Back