• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

organic pepper said:

The 400 watt HPS will definately give you better growth. It's the lumen's and intensity thats hitting your plant that gives you that vigorous growth.  Floro's come nowhere near that. They are great for starting seedlings and small plants and use as supplemental lighting but hands down HID lights are the way to go. There are lighting calculators online to help figure out cost for running HID lights. It was spot on for me. I'm running MH bulbs which is not as cost effective as the HPS bulbs. I dont think you can get what your looking for less $$ on you electric bill without putting out big $$ for more expensive equipment. Hope the info below helps.

250w HPS 33,000
400w HPS 55,000
600w HPS 95,000
1000w HPS 140,00 these are the lumen counts approximately for each wattage:wave: Here's some extra info on lighting.

Metal Halide – MH
Metal halide bulbs produce an abundance of light in the blue spectrum. This color of light promotes plant growth and is excellent for green leafy growth and keeping plants compact. It is the best type of light to be used as a primary light source (if no or little natural sunlight is available). The average lifespan is about 10,000 cumulative hours. The bulb will light up beyond this time but due to the gradual decline of light, it is not worth your while to wait for the bulb to finally burn out. If you compare their lumen (brightness) per unit of energy consumed, metal halides produce up to 125 lumens per watt compared to 39 lumens per watt with fluorescent lights and 18 lumens per watt for standard incandescent bulbs.

High Pressure Sodium – HPS
High pressure sodium bulbs emit an orange-red glow. This band of light triggers hormones in plants to increase flowering/budding in plants. They are the best lights available for secondary or supplemental lighting (used in conjunction with natural sunlight). This is ideal for greenhouse growing applications.
Not only is this a great flowering light, it has two features that make it a more economical choice. Their average lifespan is twice that of metal halides, but after 18,000 hours of use, they will start to draw more electricity than their rated watts while gradually producing less light. HPS bulbs are very efficient. They produce up to 140 lumens per watt. Their disadvantage is they are deficient in the blue spectrum. If a gardener were to start a young plant under a HPS bulb, she/he would see impressive vertical growth. In fact, probably too impressive. Most plants would grow up thin and lanky and in no time you will have to prune your plant back before it grows into the light fixture. The exception to this is using a HPS light in a greenhouse. Sunlight is high in the blue spectrum which would offset any stretching caused by HPS bulbs.
HID Light Efficiency
comparison.gif

One 1000 watt HPS bulb puts out as much light as 111 incandescent 100 watt bulbs. One 400 watt MH bulb puts out as much light as 20 fluorescent 40 watt tubes

HID Light Output​
                                                        Primary Growing Area            Supplemental Growing Area  ​
                      100 watts 2′ x 2′                        3′ x 3′​
                      250 watts 3′ x 3′                        4′ x 4′​
                      400 watts 4′ x 4′                        6′ x 6′​
                       600 watts 6′ x 6′                        8′ x 8′​
                        1000 watts 8′ x 8′                      12′ x 12′​

"If a gardener were to start a young plant under a HPS bulb, she/he would see impressive vertical growth. In fact, probably too impressive. Most plants would grow up thin and lanky and in no time you will have to prune your plant back before it grows into the light fixture".

Not in my experience.
bpwilly said:
Jim,

Let me add my 2 cents here.  A 400 watt bulb will help, but you can also accomplish the task with lower cost T8 lights and save a bundle in the process.  You just need to keep the lights close to the plants and if they grow at different rates, you just need to move the plants around so you can get them lined up by height so you can arrange the lights as best as you can.

If you were going to grow the plants all summer inside, then a HPS or MH light is what you would want, but just to keep them growing until you get to plant out, you can accomplish it with Florescent bulbs.

I have started all my plants on (multiple) 4 foot 2 bulb light fixtures the past 3 years and I have a lot less invested than what I have spent on MH/HPS lights for other crops!   Plus the floro bulbs do not put out the heat the MH/HPS lights will.

Just something to think about before you spend some cash.  Right now I have (4) double bulb fixtures (wally world specials) covering a 4 foot by 4 foot area and they should be fine up until I plant out sometime this spring.  Granted I will need more room and lights added as the plants get potted up as they grow, but for the next few months they should be all the light the plants need.

OP,  Not trying to be contrary to your advice, as you have some good figures there, just trying to share my experience with starting peppers inside.
I understand plants will grow under T8s, but, at what rate compared to a 400-watt HPS?  My first year, I used T8s, and my plants seemed to respond well.  But, having used a 400-watt HPS last/and this season, the growth rate seems faster.  4, dual bulb T8s would run about $16 monthly here.  A single 400-watt HPS runs $24, monthly.  I'm still figuring...Considering a hoop house with heater for the second round plants, especially if this warm weather pattern is a new, permanent pattern for the PNW. 

Great lighting discussion, fellas.

How about T5HO lights as a medium step
between fluorescents and the heavy artillery?

BTW, plants look great, Aaron!

PaulG said:
Great lighting discussion, fellas.

How about T5HO lights as a medium step
between fluorescents and the heavy artillery?

BTW, plants look great, Aaron!
Thanks Paul, I dont know anything about T5HO lighting. I have never used them in the past. I started off with Floro's and eventually got HID's here and there from craigs list. This is the first year I'm using MH bulbs. I wanted to try more blue spectrum but, there is a drawback with that route. Less lumens output compared to HPS. Maybe someone else has better insight on the T5HO lighting. Cheers Pal

chachie09 said:
Well its done and looks better than i ever imagined it would!

6GUpkZj.jpg

LeOLb8s.jpg
That space is looking awesome!

ColdSmoke said:
Would I be better off with MH if I'm only going to be using it for sprouting seeds and young plants before they head outside?
That's all I'm using the HPS for. The plants all go outside in Spring.

Today I noticed the Choc Handgrenade Hab, and Brown Moruga are beginning to root out the bottoms of the #1 pots they're in. Seems kind of soon to me. I'm not wanting to pot up again before plant out, so, can I just snip off the roots as/if they continue to grow out from the pots? Plant out is still at least 8 weeks away. If I keep them fed and watered, it shouldn't be a problem, right?

I would rather pot up than cut on the roots. I wouldn't trim the roots personally. You can stave off growth by depriving them of light...

KevinH said:
OK guys  here  are  some up dated pics.. It's been just over 10 days and this is what is up and in the humidity dome under a light...

20150219_160627_zpsjic8cv1k.jpg
Excellent!  Is this your first round of seeding?

Back