• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

Here is my setup while I'm on vacation for 2 weeks.  Got my overwinters and starts of peppers.  Along with orange, eggplant, kaffir lime, pineapple, basil plants.  

20150221_151932137_iOS.jpg

20150221_151948506_iOS.jpg

FGpepperguy said:
Here is my setup while I'm on vacation for 2 weeks.  Got my overwinters and starts of peppers.  Along with orange, eggplant, kaffir lime, pineapple, basil plants.  

attachicon.gif
20150221_151932137_iOS.jpg
attachicon.gif
20150221_151948506_iOS.jpg
Wow, is that set-up in the top photo in your kitchen?  My wife would kill, me!

This is a couple of photos of my Choc Handgrenade Hab that was started back on Dec. 14.  I discovered a few days ago that some of the roots were coming out the bottom of the #1 pot.  The same with my Brown Moruga.  Today, I had to pot both of them up into #2 pots.  This is a first for me.  Must be something in the water!

Wow Jim,  Nice set of roots on that plant. They must really like what you are feeding them.    Not sure you need the HPS light for growth after seeing this.  You might be in 3 gallon pots by the time plant-out comes!

LOL

bpwilly said:
Wow Jim,  Nice set of roots on that plant. They must really like what you are feeding them.    Not sure you need the HPS light for growth after seeing this.  You might be in 3 gallon pots by the time plant-out comes!

LOL
A combo of the potting soil, and the fish emulsion/kelp/cal-mag...and the bokashi.  I hope you're wrong about the 3-gallon pots.  How's your own grow coming along?

Jim,
My grow is coming along OK so far.  I did have to re-plant about 30 of the seedlings, as I let them get to wet and they died on me.  My fault, so I will be watching the soil a lot better this time around.  Now I am just trying to figure out where I am going to put them all as they get re-potted.  The indoor room I used last year is currently full of other projects, so I am squeezing plants in where I can.   I will try to get some pictures in the next few days.  Most of the plants are only about 2-3 weeks old and I sure hope we get a early spring this year so I can get them in the ground as soon as possible.

Well I started some sb70 f3, silver Surfer, 7-pot bubblegum and Jays peach ghost scorpion seed today. It's time I step up to 2 heat mats....

Yes this was the first round... I'm going to get a 2 tray mat today.. I don't have a choice.

Roguejim said:
Excellent!  Is this your first round of seeding?

Roguejim said:
Wow, is that set-up in the top photo in your kitchen?  My wife would kill, me!

This is a couple of photos of my Choc Handgrenade Hab that was started back on Dec. 14.  I discovered a few days ago that some of the roots were coming out the bottom of the #1 pot.  The same with my Brown Moruga.  Today, I had to pot both of them up into #2 pots.  This is a first for me.  Must be something in the water!

That baby looking awesome Jim! Nice root system going on! Very healthy looking hab there. Its the green thumb you got there brother!

Today, I expanded the 4'x4' growroom, to 8'x4', in anticipation of the second 400-watt HPS which should be here Monday.  I also put an oscillating fan in the growroom/laundryroom.  Those are most of the second rounders in the middle.  They all need room to breathe.  I will be switching to some Nectar From The Gods nutes, which should also arrive Monday.  We'll see how she goes...

Awright, Jim, double the light and full speed ahead!

Just transplanted 40 plants from the seedling tray yesterday.  I moved my grow area down into the basement where I'll have a little more room.  The plan is to put 18 of these suckers into the ground, but its so hard to let any go.

IMG_1253.jpg

turbo said:
Just transplanted 40 plants from the seedling tray yesterday.  I moved my grow area down into the basement where I'll have a little more room.  The plan is to put 18 of these suckers into the ground, but its so hard to let any go.

IMG_1253.jpg
Are you saying 18 won't make the cut?

Are those T5s?

Roguejim said:
Today, I expanded the 4'x4' growroom, to 8'x4', in anticipation of the second 400-watt HPS which should be here Monday.  I also put an oscillating fan in the growroom/laundryroom.  Those are most of the second rounders in the middle.  They all need room to breathe.  I will be switching to some Nectar From The Gods nutes, which should also arrive Monday.  We'll see how she goes...

Jim,

Why do you top your containers with Perlite?

Roguejim said:
Are you saying 18 won't make the cut?

Are those T5s?

No, 22 won't make the cut.  I only have room for 18 plants in my raised beds.  At least that was the initial idea.  More than likely I'll keep as many as I have room for once I transplant once more into bigger pots.  Then when its time to put them outside I'll put the leftovers in 3 or 5 gallon pots.  I was originally planning on only using raised beds this year and no pots.  But these are my babies!  :P

Yup, its a 6 bulb x 4 foot T5 light fixture.

Roguejim said:
Well, I think I'm going to bite the bullet on this one.  Whole kit for $97, FREE shipping.  The idea is to be able to sell some plants locally next season to offset energy bill.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400-watt-400w-Dimmable-HPS-MH-Grow-Light-System-Set-Kit-/150656047425?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2313ccd941

Thanks for the heads up on this! I also pulled the trigger on the HPS system. Also, I found a MHL 400w conversion bulb on Amazon for $22.  

ColdSmoke said:

Thanks for the heads up on this! I also pulled the trigger on the HPS system. Also, I found a MHL 400w conversion bulb on Amazon for $22.  
Very cool!  Post photos of the set-up when you get it.  Will you be swapping out the HPS bulb for the MH?

I'm not sure yet on that. I also have to figure out where I'm putting all this stuff! I have room in my garage, so that's probably where it will be. Any advice on where to find some cheap trays to hold my pots? 

chachie09 said:
Well i have a few indoors right now that have been topped and trained. All have variouis amounts of tops, but they all stem from one main stem, rather than have 1 split to 2, and then 2 to 4.  

PICS!!!!

Scorpion
fcZcook.jpg

Ha6DN10.jpg

Hungarian Goat Horn
R5G151g.jpg

Kt6Qiq7.jpg

Thai Dragon
LEacOnX.jpg

2xoBVsm.jpg
I lIke the looks of this!!!! Great job!

Well, I spent part of the weekend re-potting 17 more plants, up from their #1 pots, into #2 pots.  Yuck.  All were root bound.  It's great that they're growing this fast, but I really didn't account for it beforehand.  If they all follow suit, I won't have the room to accommodate them all.  I've already cut back on the lighting from 18 hours, to 14 hours, on.  Oh well, I'll worry about it when the time comes, I guess.  Not really.  I'm already worrying about it.  Here's a few photos.  I'm guessing on the names.  Too tired to write them down.

Choc Hab.

Giant Yellow 7-Pot.

Brown Moruga.

Pimenta Leopard.

Choc Handgrenade Hab, biggest of the bunch.

Red Savina?

Jamaican Mushroom.

That's all I got.  Pooped.

Back