• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

rory said:
Great start, your plants look super healthy! Do you mind me asking what soil mix you have there? :)
I started out with a Gardener & Bloome mix which my plants didn't respond well to.  I switched to a 50:50 mix of Royal Gold Tupur, and Happy Frog.  Plants liked it. 
http://royalgoldcoco.com/node/22

When the hydro shop ran out of the RG Tupur, I switched to a 50:50 mix of two locally made products, Zen Blend, and, Gaia's Gift, which the plants also like.
http://thegoodearthorganics.com/product-types/custom-soils/ I started out with fish emulsion, kelp extract, and cal-mag.  I've since switched to these Nectar For The Gods nutes: Medusas Magic, Gaia Mania, Herculean Harvest, Zeuss Juice.  They were FREE samples.
http://oregonsonly.com/

I have had killer success using Happy Frog and Ocean forest. I so in plenty of big chunk perlite..But, the main thing is to find some thing that works for you and run with it.. I run a T5 8 bulb Sunblaster light. Stepping up to 4 next year.

Also before i forget... What is every one here using for Cal  and Mag Ferts ?

KevinH said:
I have had killer success using Happy Frog and Ocean forest. I so in plenty of big chunk perlite..But, the main thing is to find some thing that works for you and run with it.. I run a T5 8 bulb Sunblaster light. Stepping up to 4 next year.

Stepping up to 4 next year?  Go BIG, man!

This liquid bone meal nute, supplies the bulk of my Ca: http://oregonsonly.com/herculean-harvest
I should mention that the Nectar For The Gods line of nutes are calcium based.  Out of the 4 different Nectar For The Gods nutes that I am currently using, 3 contain bone meal.  Frankly, I'm shocked at the beefy stems and stalks on some of my plants this season. 

In case anyone here is interested, I posted this in another subforum, but it got little attention.  See what you think.  I'd be interested in any comments.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/53257-nectar-for-the-godsscott-ostranderyoutube/

3rd tray potted and under the light.Time to pick the last peppers to start and start the normal garden.
1426361554706.jpg

KevinH said:
I have had killer success using Happy Frog and Ocean forest.  Agreed!

I use Botanicare liquid Cal-Mag, 1 teaspoon per gallon as long
as the plants are in cups or small containers, along with fish fertilizer.  
Every watering.  When plant out comes, I prep the soil with Bone Meal
and use kelp foliar spray every week or two.  For plant out I use Cal-Mag,
B-1, and liquid molasses and water them in real well when potting up.

Thanks Paul..Got the package thanks again..Anything you need let me know.

PaulG said:
I use Botanicare liquid Cal-Mag, 1 teaspoon per gallon as long
as the plants are in cups or small containers, along with fish fertilizer.  
Every watering.  When plant out comes, I prep the soil with Bone Meal
and use kelp foliar spray every week or two.  For plant out I use Cal-Mag,
B-1, and liquid molasses and water them in real well when potting up.

How much perlite should I use for a 5 - 7 gallon pot? Is course perlite too big for container plants? I quart per five gallons? That's a total shot in the dark guess. 

ColdSmoke said:
How much perlite should I use for a 5 - 7 gallon pot? Is course perlite too big for container plants? I quart per five gallons? That's a total shot in the dark guess.
If you don't get a good response here, I'd post your question in the general Growing subforum. There's a few guys who will have your answer. I don't want to guess, and give you bad advice. It's a good question.

Ok here is how I do it. 2:1 2 gal soil. 1 gal perlite. I don't get to precise but it works. The idea is help the soil drain better.

No such thing as too corse..

ColdSmoke said:
What is the rest of the soil comprised of? 

Roguejim said:
What is the rest of the soil comprised of? 

half and half last years soil : greensmix organic blend 5, which is just various composted organic materials (I got a bunch for free), along with some worm castings, vermicompost and that root organics fert mix I posted earlier

KevinH said:

This stuff here...can't beat the price: http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-CaliMagic-Gardening-1-Quart/dp/B00GZRKI40/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1426435733&sr=8-12&keywords=general+hydroponics+nutrients

Everyone be sure and keep an eye on your thermostats turns out mine went bad and wasn't heating. So I stepped up to a digital. I have much more control now.

Got my soil today and got all the pots filled! Not to mention, got the green house filled a couple weeks ago, and things have really taken off! The soil is North County Bounty - SoCo Blend, pics of the mix included.  Only got half the pots in place before the rain started on us, the center row and other half will be placed on weds, weather permitting.

VbDs4hv.jpg

qWh9XrK.jpg

tPuQmiM.jpg

UMuCZNt.jpg

Back