• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

Looking nice everyone! Been lacking on my plants the last 3 weeks. Just been busy with grilling and smoking all sorts of stuff. Well, gotta make some time for the babies.. I really gotta transplant a majority of all the peppers. They are root bound and flowering galore. Picked a few of them off but got to many of them coming in at one time. Going to just go with what others said about leaving them. I used to in the past but wanted to try something different. Most are at about 22" in height
Group shot... These are just a handfull of what I brought out for some rain today. Kinda doing them in batches every day.
20150317_1752251.jpg

Started clearing a area 4 x 32 ft raised bed for some of the peppers and will put the rest in raised air beds and root pots once I start building them next month. I'm thinking I'm needing 10 yards of compost at the minimum for everything when I get to that point.
More flowers popping..
20150317_1752431.jpg

And then more...
20150317_1752511.jpg

and more again
20150317_1752471.jpg

Got another 1/2 doz more plants doing the same. Cheers all!

22" tall? Yep, they'll be root bound. Next season, I'm going straight from Solo cups into #2 pots. If you don't mind my asking, what does a yd of compost run in your area?

Roguejim said:
22" tall? Yep, they'll be root bound. Next season, I'm going straight from Solo cups into #2 pots. If you don't mind my asking, what does a yd of compost run in your area?
I'm thinking maybe starting a month later next year and narrowing down my list of peppers to something more manageable in terms of growth space for each plant Topping them did not help in that area as well. They are seriously fighting for growth space. I really like your Idea of planting from solo cups straight into #2 pots. Them roots going to be loving that extra space. As for Compost depending on the type ie...Oly Mountain Organic Compost, Oly Mountain Organic Fish Compost, 4-Way Compost, 3-Way Mushroom or Organic Compost goes between $18 to $26 a yard depending on the type. Last year I used the Oly Mountain Fish Compost and the tomatoes and cucumbers went crazy with it but not so much the peppers that I planted in it. That compost was almost black in color. Have not made up my mind on what I will use this season. Cheers!

organic pepper said:
Looking nice everyone! Been lacking on my plants the last 3 weeks. Just been busy with grilling and smoking all sorts of stuff. Well, gotta make some time for the babies.. I really gotta transplant a majority of all the peppers. They are root bound and flowering galore. Picked a few of them off but got to many of them coming in at one time. Going to just go with what others said about leaving them. I used to in the past but wanted to try something different. Most are at about 22" in height
Group shot... These are just a handfull of what I brought out for some rain today. Kinda doing them in batches every day.
attachicon.gif
20150317_1752251.jpg
Started clearing a area 4 x 32 ft raised bed for some of the peppers and will put the rest in raised air beds and root pots once I start building them next month. I'm thinking I'm needing 10 yards of compost at the minimum for everything when I get to that point.
More flowers popping..
attachicon.gif
20150317_1752431.jpg
And then more...
attachicon.gif
20150317_1752511.jpg
and more again
attachicon.gif
20150317_1752471.jpg

Those are looking great!

Just started following this thread

Moved from Toronto to Victoria 18 months ago and got the bug early this year.  Just not early enough it seems.  My wife always likes to plant things but she like to start them in the summer when things are hot already.  I knew I had to start early for hot peppers here, wasn't expecting to have to start so early

First year growing peppers and I'm growing the generic Jalapeno and Habanero.  I also have some ornamental Asian variety doing quite well. 

I have three different levels of growing going on right now,  Adolescents, babies and seedlings.  My germanation rates have been quite good

Im looking for help from those on the Island.  I am going to be growing in pots.  When can I put them outside in a full time?  May 24 weekend or longer?

Thanks for any help you can provide me.  My mouth waters, but my brain winces at every super hot you guys post pictures of.  The uglier the better.  Next year I will be ready to sow when we should on the west coast.

I fear its too late for me to plant a super hot for this year

Cheers

NDToronto said:
Just started following this thread

Moved from Toronto to Victoria 18 months ago and got the bug early this year.  Just not early enough it seems.  My wife always likes to plant things but she like to start them in the summer when things are hot already.  I knew I had to start early for hot peppers here, wasn't expecting to have to start so early

First year growing peppers and I'm growing the generic Jalapeno and Habanero.  I also have some ornamental Asian variety doing quite well. 

I have three different levels of growing going on right now,  Adolescents, babies and seedlings.  My germanation rates have been quite good

Im looking for help from those on the Island.  I am going to be growing in pots.  When can I put them outside in a full time?  May 24 weekend or longer?

Thanks for any help you can provide me.  My mouth waters, but my brain winces at every super hot you guys post pictures of.  The uglier the better.  Next year I will be ready to sow when we should on the west coast.

I fear its too late for me to plant a super hot for this year

Cheers
Welcome to our GLOG.  Superhot pepper seeds, chinenses, usually get sown around 16 weeks before the last frost.  I don't know when your last frost normally is.  I'll let someone else address that.  All non-chinense pepper seeds usually get sown around 8 weeks before the last frost.  When you find out when your last frost will be, then you'll know when to put out your potted plants, full time..

organic pepper said:

I'm thinking maybe starting a month later next year and narrowing down my list of peppers to something more manageable in terms of growth space for each plant Topping them did not help in that area as well. They are seriously fighting for growth space. I really like your Idea of planting from solo cups straight into #2 pots. Them roots going to be loving that extra space. As for Compost depending on the type ie...Oly Mountain Organic Compost, Oly Mountain Organic Fish Compost, 4-Way Compost, 3-Way Mushroom or Organic Compost goes between $18 to $26 a yard depending on the type. Last year I used the Oly Mountain Fish Compost and the tomatoes and cucumbers went crazy with it but not so much the peppers that I planted in it. That compost was almost black in color. Have not made up my mind on what I will use this season. Cheers!

Your compost is a lot cheaper then what we pay here.  I was thinking about planting my seeds a month later, but I don't have the nerve!  I think the best answer is to just plant less seeds.  I've never really tried that though. 

What's your nute regimen now?

Welcome NDToronto,

Jim, I just been watering them with 1/3 strength of EWC tea with some kelp meal. They just had their second watering with it. Kinda holding back for the moment. Talking with the company that makes the nursery potting soil I used when I first planted them, I was informed that it contained time released fertilizers within the mix. Just waiting to get them in compost and go from there with a nute regimen depending on their needs. That area I dug up today where these babies are going was just loaded with earthworms. Really liking that! Adding more compost to that area and turning the soil/compost over more should really do the trick.

organic pepper said:
attachicon.gif
20150317_1752251.jpg
More flowers popping..
attachicon.gif
20150317_1752431.jpg
And then more...
attachicon.gif
20150317_1752511.jpg
and more again
attachicon.gif
20150317_1752471.jpg

Holy crap!  Your plants are huge (and beautiful)!  Last year mine didn't look like that until about early May.  When are you planning for plant out?  The way the weather has been in Seattle we might be able to put them in soil late April, though that may be pretty risky.

Last year I used Oly Mountain Organic Fish Compost in my raised bed and the plants seemed to like it. 

This may be premature, but I'm going to bring some of the larger plants outside tomorrow, and begin hardening them off. I really don't want to harden them all off at once.

I bet that's a chore with all your plants! I wish I had a cart with casters so I could just roll the whole lot out at once from the garage. Hmmmm maybe I need to look into that.

turbo said:

Holy crap!  Your plants are huge (and beautiful)!  Last year mine didn't look like that until about early May.  When are you planning for plant out?  The way the weather has been in Seattle we might be able to put them in soil late April, though that may be pretty risky.

Last year I used Oly Mountain Organic Fish Compost in my raised bed and the plants seemed to like it. 
Thanks Turbo. I'm kinda watching the weather forecast and playing it by ear for plant out. I hope its soon though. Cheers

Looking at the green house pic i took a coouple days ago, and then these, it is amazing what a couple of days of full sun will do.  I went through on wednesday and shifted tings around a little.  I only have 5 cups that havent sprouted yet.  A few that come to mind are peach hab, chocolate hab, and MOA scotch bonn.  But i rearranged so that the unsprouted cups got the most sun, and close to the heat at night to see if i can give them a little helping hand.  But 83% germ outdoors seems pretty good to me.  Ive been pre planning in the event that the others dont pop, already sprouted a second jalapeno, and will be doubling up on a couple others later this week depending on how things go.

Here is the tray of strong / fastest sprouting seedlings

b1n6X0T.jpg

This purple coty Chinese 5 Color has me very intrigued...the other two that sprouted were green...

1N0OxiL.jpg

And the tray of slow starters

KgMTxjJ.jpg

Annnnnnd my toms!

ceroLdl.jpg

There was huge wind a few days ago which makes me hesitant to put my peppers out. I did get a little too excited with our nice weather so I put my tomatillos, roma, and some basil in the ground without hardening them off. I'm risking it but the overcast is working in my favor because I'm not sure how they would do in hot direct sunlight. They have been out there for 2 days now and seem to be doing well. I have started hardening off my hot peppers and I guess I'm waiting for someone on THP to start bringing their plants outside before I do. This is my first grow by the way.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-fvp753VPrU0/VQt0CAKdynI/AAAAAAAAAQ8/AY4KieSR3XA/w958-h539-no/20150319_090341.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-xZMogU6b0gA/VQtz_Kfz0jI/AAAAAAAAAQw/s7_btZS6ZjM/w958-h539-no/20150319_090348.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-EyVq3Phdrec/VQtun-H4bUI/AAAAAAAAAQc/q6nSaXB1aek/w958-h539-no/20150318_225721.jpg

Back