• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

organic pepper said:
Picked my first batch of peppers today. 
attachicon.gif
20150905_1613091.jpg

Cheers all!
What's the big orange one in the front?

Those were Orange Bhuts. The others were Yellow Bhuts and the 2 small peach color looking ones were the White Bhuts. The smaller red ones were Star of Turkey.

Some real nice looking harvests.  Most of mine still have a ways to go, but some sure are liking the cooler weather.  Here are a few pictures of some I picked the other day.
My Peach colored pods are not coming out peach colored this year.  Nice shape, just wrong color.
01beefa5-6910-4ab2-bfb6-7d3a4d81b853_zpsd4vvugf7.jpg

7cfe3b5a-83bd-4abd-ba0d-3af071863f73_zpsvtgnxdtv.jpg

The 7 Pots seem to be doing OK, just have a ways to get much for a harvest
358c0379-4909-4c9c-9465-99084b2d8bf4_zpsliektwrl.jpg

75cdd566-dd97-48fd-9685-f3570bca7f65_zpsxf1y0z3w.jpg

2d6ce6d1-3e9f-4f45-8ed1-8c9ede640e9e_zpsomg1oxmz.jpg

68abc684-46dd-4338-a782-5812dda00f00_zpsz8veupwo.jpg

d7f08340-690b-4334-9ed9-c9b73da8c61a_zpskwuv4lri.jpg

d86b9e98-7989-46c8-abb7-b17aaf128d44_zps4daa7abv.jpg

358c0379-4909-4c9c-9465-99084b2d8bf4_zpsliektwrl.jpg

2c032769-72ac-4ade-8c9c-59b698b21b4f_zpse5rk1o3v.jpg

Got plenty getting ripe, but did lose a few plants to the wind storm last week.   The Pubs are liking the cooler weather, so I have my fingers crossed for them.  They have taken a long time to produce any fruits this year.  Just dropping flowers most of the summer.  I think they really could use more shade next year.

Roguejim said:
I appears you like fire! How do you use them? I hope the season goes on long enough for you.
Jim,,

For the 7 Pot line, I like the brainstrains the best.   They seem to always be very productive and the flavor is nice (but hot).  I have never gotten enough pods to really make a judgement on the Jonah, but many seem to like them, so I will see about making a sauce based just on them this year.  As for liking fire, I have actually gotten wimpier the past few years, but I do like the flavor of the Ghosts and Nagas.  They are hot, but they have a special flavor to them that does go well in a sauce.   The one that surprised me last year was the reapers.  very hot, but they do make a nice sauce,  They have a sweet taste to them, before they wipe out the ability to taste anything.

I do have plenty of milder ones this year as I ordered several of Judies peppers from Turkey.  I just do not have enough experience with them yet to say where they may be used best.  The Albanian Red Hots that I got from her before made a great powder that is mild enough that just about everyone I know has liked, plus it goes great on pizza, eggs, etc.   I seem to be drifting more that way no days, but still like to grow some of the super hots just for the heck of it.   I know my wife thinks I am crazy, as I have more than enough dried peppers, but this is just to addicting!.

Devv said:
Very nice Bill, I too hope that you get a full harvest ;)

Devv, thanks for the hope.   I got my fingers crossed.  September is normally a pretty nice month around here for the weather, so we shall see.  As long as the temps stay 60-80, I should be just fine this year.   If not, I always have plenty from the past 2 years.  I made so much puree last year to clean out the freezer, and that stuff is really concentrated!

Take care.

Roguejim said:
They end up stinking, don't seem right.
Do you sterilize everything like when you brew? I always use starsan as if the jar is my beer fermenting vessel. Then I make sure I use at least 4% salt. I don't do a brine, I just crust the top so nothing can get to the mash. At the end you can just stir it in or scrape it off and use fresh salt. It's how Tobasco ferments their peppers

Weather is going nuts again here.  It's been hovering around 75-80F last week.  Tomorrow will be 94F, up to 102F by Friday!

Roguejim said:
This isn't your first harvest this season, right?  Freezing them?
I've had one other haul about this size.  The ones prior have been pretty small.  

I vacuum sealed some peppers and put them in the frig.  They started to get soft so I threw the vacuum bags in the freezer.  From then on I've been freezing in regular zip lock bags

Its been dead in here, so I thought I'd liven things up a bit.  The season isn't over yet folks!

My plants did a late season growth spurt during Sept and doubled in bushy volume.  They are packed with green pods.  I think I'm gonna take a stab at trimming them back, keeping only the branches with pods on them, them potting them up and bringing them indoors under my grow light.  It'll be nice and warm and bright.  Hopefully I can eek out some more ripe pods before they kick it.

My MOA is kick out some picture perfect pods.
IMG_3241.jpg

My Trinidad Scotch Bonnet has just been awesome this season.  LOADED with huge pods, and awesome flavor.  This year was all about exploring different Chinense verities, seeing which ones work best for me, and I'm definitely going to bring these bad boys back next year
IMG_3247.jpg

More Trinidad Scotch Bonnet
IMG_3252.jpg

Cheiro Roxa was a big success.  The pods don't get very big, but you get a LOT of them
IMG_3258.jpg

Good plant growth, just not a lot of ripe pods late season :tear:
IMG_3260.jpg

Morouga Red (green?) Habanero
IMG_3275.jpg

I think I'm going to have to experiment with what to do with green pods this year.  Taste each variety and see what I can do with them.  I'll have plenty to work with

I'll probably give them another couple of weeks before I start transplanting them.  Just trying to plan the end of the season.  I'd also like to have another go at bonchi again.  Aphids just overtook my bonchi last year and destroyed them.  Hopefully I'll do a better job of de-pesting my plants before bringing them inside this year

Back