• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

tutorial The Pest Guide

What Threat Level would you rate Broad Mites 1-10? Concider damage, control, prevention, and how ann

Votes: 6 8.7%

Votes: 3 4.3%

Votes: 9 13.0%

Votes: 12 17.4%

Votes: 16 23.2%

Votes: 23 33.3%

• Total voters
solid7 said:
Neem is particularly ineffective when you don't emulsify.  I know that you read tons of stuff online that says you just mix it with water.  But it's an oil.  And as such, it's first priority is to reconstitute into a glob, that floats on top of a less dense liquid.
https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bronners-Pure-Castile-Liquid-Soap/dp/B00120VWJ0/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=dr%2Bbronners%2Bpeppermint&qid=1555016282&s=gateway&sr=8-2&th=1  <--- Dr. Bronners w/peppermint essential oil extract
If you use this mixed with Neem at a ratio of 2 Tbsp Neem to 1 Tbsp soap, per gallon of water, you'll find that it's about 10000 times more effective.  Also...  make sure that the Neem is warm beforehand.  I like to mix the soap and Neem in a separate container first, get it well emulsified, and then add it slowly into the water.
I use the stuff at least once every 2 weeks in the summer.  If not, I get overrun with aphids, broadmite, and whitefly.

I decided to follow this advice and it proved to be sound. This mix was very effective, all three times I've used it lol.

Now hold on.....I had to use it three times because I never did the follow-up spray in a week or so. As a result, the few survivors rebuilt their ranks until I had another infestation. My bad.

BUT, this was a great solution for me. ymmv.

Thanks 7.

DownRiver said:

I decided to follow this advice and it proved to be sound. This mix was very effective, all three times I've used it lol.

Now hold on.....I had to use it three times because I never did the follow-up spray in a week or so. As a result, the few survivors rebuilt their ranks until I had another infestation. My bad.

BUT, this was a great solution for me. ymmv.

Thanks 7.

You're welcome, but do note that I've started to recommend looking into alternatives to the soap.  Why, you may ask?  Well, it has a very high pH - around 11, on average.  I was finding that the hotter and more humid that my weather was, the more detrimental that was proving to be.  I killed a rocoto all the way to the ground, and the only common factor that it shared with my other plants (which were showing damage, but not death) was the soap and Neem.  I tried plain soap on another rocoto, and killed it dead.  Within a week.  Rocotos aren't that easy to grow here, so it stung a bit.
I think that you can fairly safely use that mix, most of the time.  I'd still probably stay away from it when the weather is at peak summer conditions.  But there have been some good discussions around the forum about alternatives to soap, for emulsifying Neem.  It would be great if we had more of those, IMO.

My plants are under heavy attack by aphids. Totally infested. A while ago I made a bucket full of water with dishwas soap and spirit and put my plants upside down in it.....worked it seemed but the little buggers came back. Totally infested plants....more aphids than green.
So again I made diswash water, plants upside down in it and then showered the leaves clean. Left them in the shower for a day and repeated the process.....clean now......but for how long remains to be seen. They're indoor plants. These plants are quite sturdy though. One of them, the Cherry bomb has its first flower. Critters away.....I want peppers. 😁

Hi Guy's I have problem with my plants, I have had green caterpillars eating leaves on some of the plants however I have removed and killed them (the caterpillars that is):-
Cayenne's:- Leaves turning inwards and very dark green, growth stunted, initially new growth looked burnt and shrivelled.
Bhut's:- Again some of the plants had caterpillars (removed and killed), now some have leaves turning inwards and very dark green, growth on these plants is stunted.
I have checked for infestations however can not see anything. (I did think that I saw some "dark spots" beneath some Cayenne plant leaves which I thought looked "mite'ish) having researched the sick plants look like they might have "Broad Mites"
Any suggestions as to management and eradication gratefully accepted.
Thanks all!

Hi Guy's I have problem with my plants, I have had green caterpillars eating leaves on some of the plants however I have removed and killed them (the caterpillars that is):-
Cayenne's:- Leaves turning inwards and very dark green, growth stunted, initially new growth looked burnt and shrivelled.
Bhut's:- Again some of the plants had caterpillars (removed and killed), now some have leaves turning inwards and very dark green, growth on these plants is stunted.
I have checked for infestations however can not see anything. (I did think that I saw some "dark spots" beneath some Cayenne plant leaves which I thought looked "mite'ish) having researched the sick plants look like they might have "Broad Mites"
Any suggestions as to management and eradication gratefully accepted.
Thanks all!
We started using Spinosad two years ago & it has replaced Thuricide for caterpillars & worm control for us. Use a natural sticker for longer plant protection.

We started using Spinosad two years ago & it has replaced Thuricide for caterpillars & worm control for us. Use a natural sticker for longer plant protection.
Hi Marturo, Thanks for input, After researching I believe that it is Broad Mites that are causing the damage. From what I have read it is best to prune the infected leaves, cut / kill the plant and remove it. Also spray with miticides.

Back