• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The right way to keep strains pure

Hey there,

There are a lot of folks giving advice on prevention cross-pollination/outcrossing to maintain the integrity of seed strains, but does anybody know of actual peer-reviewed studies on the topic?

thats a great question. I was thinking the same myself, besides growing on specific types in enclosed areas.

Other then that I'm going to be elmers gluing the flowers before they open on seeds that I want to save.

Let me know how that works Jester and I know others would be interested.

This past season I planted one of each type I wanted to isolate in a 5 gallon bucket, then covered the whole thing with tulle after seeing the first flower and removing it. I kept each around 15-20 feet up wind of the gardens to lower the possibility of crossing due to wind.

On a thread I read about gelatin capsules I forgot were though I will try looking for it. A member was using http://www.amazon.com/Life-Extension-GELATIN-CAPSULES--BOVINE/dp/B002R3JJ8W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322429447&sr=8-1, but not sure what size I think it was "00 or 0" before the flowers opens similar to what JesterJoker does. I haven't personally tried it yet, but I was thinking of doing it this year with a few plants.

I'm trying to get my current flowers to set, I'm using cheapo florescent lights so I'm waiting for my HPS that I'm ordering and my pod producttion should go through the roof "I hope"

I see 100 flowers on a few of my peppers, to bad they will all fall off the way I have them growing now.

There's a thread on this already. But basically what we have seen is you take the petals and antlers off one flower before it opens and then use the antler of another flower and pollinate it.

The surest way to prevent it is to grow only one type of pepper. Read this here.....
http://www.ehow.com/info_8042939_pollination-pepper-plants-bees.html

Sounds legit to me. I havent experienced any crosses in 3 years and I grow plants from the previous years seeds.

hes really not asking about breeding right, just "outcross prevention"? to keep strains alive and pure...

Exactly right. And more specifically, I'm asking if anybody knows where this has actually been studied and reported in a peer-reviewed publication. Since this is one of the most important vegetable crops in the world, and there are so many varieties, that somebody somewhere along the way would have studied and published it. It's the kind of thing that is pretty important, so I imagine there may even be validated protocols out there, somewhere.

While they have the capacity for self pollinating, outcrossing rates have been reported from 2-90%, and so they're considered a facultative cross-pollinating species. Here's a little something. Here's a little something. Now that I have a place to start, it makes it a lot easier to research.

More to come...

some good info on commercial seed production in this report from the new mexico chili task force
there's some surprising info in this--not really about preventing outcrossing (apart from keeping the area free from other Capsicum pollen sources)--but is anyone keeping tabs on soil nematodes? or leaf petiole nitrate levels as a predictor of fertility (i.e., how many peppers and seeds the plant will produce)? or how about the 3 parts bleach to 2 parts water as the dilution used to disinfect seeds? I typically use a 1 part bleach to 9 parts water.

Wow. Thanks!

Does the US FDA have any resources on this? I know an old school botanist (formally trained in the 60's I believe) I might ask.

And check LexisNexis, and Google Scholar.

Back