• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The Sample Platter

I offered a long distance buddy of mine who digs heat some pepper powder and he came back with heck yes. Seems he makes his own hot sauce, which I'm just now learning. Figure I'll send him a few fresh pods too if he's interested. He's a busy guy and didn't realize there was much above Habanero heat level. You can rest assured he's aware of it now or soon will be.

Here's what I sent him:

IMG_6055cre.jpg

I like to vacuum pack powders that I send unless it's just a couple. I've had folks tell me they can smell the powder through the baggies, vacuum bags and bubble wrapped mailer. Powerful stuff.

That's a nice sampler platter. It's a lot of work preparing peppers for dehydrating if
you take out the seeds. Just did that today with 20 bhuts. Lot of work.

Great comments thanks guys!

Super hot chocolate powder sounds delish Chris? I wonder what a couple taps of the Douglah shaker over a cup of hot cocoa would be like? Dang sure warm you up.

Roper you're right, it is a bit of work. Well worth it in the end though believe me. Nothing better than sitting down to a meal and having a selection of different powders to choose from. Plus I get a huge kick out of sharing it.

I was happily surprised with the heat in the yellow 7 Pods. For some reason I thought they wouldn't be that hot. Yeah right. Sheesh.

what do you use to powder those up so finely I have a ton of dehydrated chocolate bhut pods and that seems like the best thing to do and i can relate to how much of a pain in the ass de-seeding can be

The way I ground up my Nuclear Fallout Powder was to take a small mouth mason jar and screw the base from a blender onto it. The jar i used was a 12oz mason jelly jar. The longer you have the blender on, the finer the powder. It is also sealed, so you won't put a bunch of pepper powder in the air and drive yourself out of the house when you turn the blender on. Just put the dehydrated peppers in the jar, screw the blender base on, and a few seconds later you have powder!

Edit to add:

For deseeding, get a Pepper Shark, at peppershark (dot) com..... :D

The only difference I've found when leaving seeds in is they leave behind slightly larger bits that are lighter in color. For my powders I usually remove the seeds.

I use a coffee bean grinder that has settings that allow me to pick the amount of time it grinds. Set it, push the button and that's it. I shake the grinder while it's running too, you can tell when the blades are in the powder by the sound. The more time the peppers are in the blades the finer the powder obviously. You have to give it a couple of minutes to settle before taking the lid off or you'll be choking and hacking and drive everyone out of the house.

I may have to give RS67Man's idea with the blender and the mason jar a try though.

Thanks for the compliments lazienfat and Pepperlover. Judy your powders are pretty good themselves. Hot. Wow hot! The Ghost Breath rocked my cheesy eggs this morning.

The way I ground up my Nuclear Fallout Powder was to take a small mouth mason jar and screw the base from a blender onto it. The jar i used was a 12oz mason jelly jar. The longer you have the blender on, the finer the powder. It is also sealed, so you won't put a bunch of pepper powder in the air and drive yourself out of the house when you turn the blender on. Just put the dehydrated peppers in the jar, screw the blender base on, and a few seconds later you have powder!

Edit to add:

For deseeding, get a Pepper Shark, at peppershark (dot) com..... :D

+1

The only difference I've found when leaving seeds in is they leave behind slightly larger bits that are lighter in color. For my powders I usually remove the seeds.

I use a coffee bean grinder that has settings that allow me to pick the amount of time it grinds. Set it, push the button and that's it. I shake the grinder while it's running too, you can tell when the blades are in the powder by the sound. The more time the peppers are in the blades the finer the powder obviously. You have to give it a couple of minutes to settle before taking the lid off or you'll be choking and hacking and drive everyone out of the house.

I may have to give RS67Man's idea with the blender and the mason jar a try though.

Thanks for the compliments lazienfat and Pepperlover. Judy your powders are pretty good themselves. Hot. Wow hot! The Ghost Breath rocked my cheesy eggs this morning.
You've seen first hand powder ground with a mason jar/blender with seeds left in. Was it fine enough? :)

You've seen first hand powder ground with a mason jar/blender with seeds left in. Was it fine enough? :)

Cool. It most certainly was fine enough. In fact I can't recall if there were any lighter colored specks in it from the seeds. Thanks for the info SS.

Back