• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The start of my 2012 growing list

Well from the few I had already and the ones I have gained since being on here my list is starting to look okay and above the average until compared to many on here.lol...

Tepin
Piquin
Zimbabwe Bird Pepper
Serrano
Purple Serrano
Purple Jalapeno
Chocolate Habs
White Habs
Naga (red and chocolate)
Uba Tuba (thanks to Richard)
Thai
Manzano (red,orange and yellow)
Fatali (yellow and hopefully Ann's)
Yellow 7 pod
Butch T
Brain strain
Bhut Jolokia

Still more to be added as we get closer to getting it going for the season. Already started a few that I will play with growing inside for the winter some in soil and some hydroponically. I have the space to plant to my content as well as having a greenhouse going up now to help things along with our wacky weather and temps we get here in Western Washington. Started my seeds in a terrestrial orchid mix and so far real good.
DSC06247.jpg

my first ever Bhut Jolokia
DSC06244.jpg

DSC06246.jpg

3 yellow Manzano
DSC06243.jpg

Zimbabwe Bird Pepper

Well after a 95% germ rate had a 50% chomped rate by my first ever chili pepper eating deermouse. woke up one morning to find several seedlings and a few pods drying nearby gone. Then the next day I caught sight of him as he jumped down from the shelf after doing more damage. Caught him in a snap trap today. In all my years gardening I have never had a problem with any peppers getting eaten by a rodent. Have little bunnies munching my abundant tomato crop but pass right by the peppers now in the garden. So anyways still have 3 Manzano yellow, 3 Tepin, 2 Piquin , 2 Bhut Jolokia and 1 NuMex Bailey Piquin trying to make it. All have their first true leaves now and it has only been 3 weeks since a planted the seed.
DSC06302.jpg

Bhut
DSC06298.jpg

DSC06299.jpg

Tepin
DSC06301.jpg

DSC06300.jpg

Yellow Manzano
Sorry some are a bit blurry will replace them with better pics in the next day or so.

Washington State? Well first off, good to have another Washingtonian member here :D secondly, nice starts, nice variety.
Brandon

Well last night I started a second round of seeds and transplanted the seedlings I started the first round so each is in their own pot. In the second batch I had to start a few Fatali yellow seeds and several purple Serrano peppers. The Serrano will be for a hydroponic grow.

here is my current list for next yr with hoped for quantities of each. Some will be planted as a group of three in a 25 gal pot as it will hold moisture more even for longer times then smaller pots and can be moved to isolate the plants from other peppers. I have 5 acres to space them out on. I will still ad a couple more peppers as we get closer to the outdoor season next spring. The most Pepper plants I have grown in a season before is a few yrs back at 48 plants so this is a big jump.

2012 grow list

Peppers

Manzano red x3
Manzano yellow x3
Manzano orange x3
Carribian red x2
Bhut Jolokia x3
Fatali yellow x12
White bullet Hab x4
Red Mushroom x3
Trinidad Perfume x9
Aji red x6
Uba Tuba x6
Yellow 7pot x6
Brain strain x12
Butch T x6
Naga chocolate x3
Naga red x3
Habanero chocolate x6
Tepin x3 (2 new 1 overwintered)
Pequin x4 (2 new 2 overwintered)
NUMEX pequin x2
Zimbabwe bird pepper x3
Serrano x6
Purple Serrano x12
Purple jalopeno x5
Black Scorpion Tongue x3
Thai hot x4 (overwintered)
Tio x3
bhut white x3
bhut purple x3
not galapagos x4
goat weed x6
Peru 238051 x3
black congo x3

Other Veggies

Galapagos Tomato x6
Mexican cucumber x6
French bush Pumpkin x6
Kuri Squash x6
Oriental cucumber x6
Tomato Virginia sweets x3
Cape gooseberry x6
Purple Tomatillo x12
Naranjilla x6

Other plants

Baobab
Bixa orellano
Kalahari Bauhinia
Red Orchid tree
Lilac Lycianthes

These are my first 2 Yellow Fatali peppers
DSC06428.jpg

This is a pepper given one to me and one to my mom from a guy here in the area from seeds he brought back from his families home in Mexico. He called it a Tepin.
DSC06446.jpg

DSC06448.jpg

DSC06447.jpg

Mine is just starting to bloom but my moms is already loaded with pea sized round fruits one per node.

Okay it is time for updated pics of my test seedlings I started about 6-7 weeks ago.
First is a couple of the yellow Manzano.
DSC06534.jpg

DSC06538.jpg

Next is my Bhut Jolokia
DSC06535.jpg

These are all in 4 inch plus diameter pots to give idea on size of seedlings. I am thinking I got them through the wimpy seedling stage and they got their first fish tank water feeding last night.
Next is my yellow Fatali seedlings from round 2 of seed starting so sept 22nd. These took about 10 days to brake the surface.
DSC06537.jpg

WOW, you have quite the list going there,onefowl1. Thank goodness for the greenhouse! You'll be needing it.

Were any of the seeds from the chile party?
SL

Yeah that is a lot of plants. Hope you have the space for when they get big! That is a hole I've just dug myself, lots of seedlings and no place to put them :P

WOW, you have quite the list going there,onefowl1. Thank goodness for the greenhouse! You'll be needing it.

Were any of the seeds from the chile party?
SL
Not this time but soon as it gets closer to the season. I had just started the bhuts, manzano and tepins when I joined up here and the fatalli just after I met you all at the get together. I do have about 6 good seeds from your fatalli peppers you shared at the meet and I will grow them as well come Jan-Feb as I really like the flavor of them.

Yeah that is a lot of plants. Hope you have the space for when they get big! That is a hole I've just dug myself, lots of seedlings and no place to put them :P

Megamoo I have 5 acres to play on with them as well as a sister and mother who will take some if I send them their way.

Okay pic updates time. The Manzano are really taking off with branching and flower buds forming now. Have changed the fert program as fish tank water is lacking now they are under better lighting.All 3 manzano have flower buds.
DSC06651.jpg

DSC06654.jpg

DSC06653.jpg

Well the Manzano are just days from blooming now and still not a single bud drop yet. Got 2 more 6 bulb t8 lights from home depot tonight for the indoor growing. Something interesting is they claim it has a 10 rating (10 being the best) for light efficiency and the t5 systems I have looked at locally have only a 7 rating, more wattage and bulbs per square footing but 30 percent more wasted. The other t8 systems they carry only have a 5-7 rating it is just that one fixture that has the 10.
Anyway here are some new pics.
DSC06718.jpg

DSC06717.jpg

Another thing on the Manzano is they really do not like even to strong of florescent lighting. Every morning when the lights first come on they are fanned out in their leaves but by night before the lights go off the leaves are curled around the stems. They will now be moved to one of the new lights and have the lights father away from their tops to see if it makes a difference.

Well the Manzano are just days from blooming now and still not a single bud drop yet. Got 2 more 6 bulb t8 lights from home depot tonight for the indoor growing. Something interesting is they claim it has a 10 rating (10 being the best) for light efficiency and the t5 systems I have looked at locally have only a 7 rating, more wattage and bulbs per square footing but 30 percent more wasted. The other t8 systems they carry only have a 5-7 rating it is just that one fixture that has the 10.
Anyway here are some new pics.
DSC06718.jpg

DSC06717.jpg

Another thing on the Manzano is they really do not like even to strong of florescent lighting. Every morning when the lights first come on they are fanned out in their leaves but by night before the lights go off the leaves are curled around the stems. They will now be moved to one of the new lights and have the lights father away from their tops to see if it makes a difference.

Nice looking plants ya have there,
My Manzano (Perrons) didn't like the heat from my HID's so I moved it back under the flours and closer to a fan.
I ended placing it in a partial sunlit spot in the garden, the plant grew pretty big but didn't produce as much as I thought it would. It had alot of flower drop due to the unusually hot summer. I did overwinter it and hope it will doudle out this year. The peppers had a unique "apple" flav to them.

Greg

Oh by the way, good choice on the T8's, The high bays are the ones that I use and when it comes down to replacing any bulbs you'll be way ahead on saving money compared to the T5's. I'm up to 12 fixtures and they have produced some really nice plants.

Greg

Nice start. If those Manzanos produce for you, I may be interested in buying some pods from you. I use it in a chile powder I make, but haven't successfully grown a Manzano pod in three years of trying. It really does not like our Kansas heat.

Okay not days but the very next morning. I was up before the lights came on and the flower opened before the lights came on so during the night as it was still closed last night when I got home.
First flower opened on day 79 from seed being put into the soil.
DSC06728.jpg

It has pollen already so tried the electric tooth brush boogie on the main stem about 2 inches from the flower this morning.
DSC06729.jpg

Nice start. If those Manzanos produce for you, I may be interested in buying some pods from you. I use it in a chile powder I make, but haven't successfully grown a Manzano pod in three years of trying. It really does not like our Kansas heat.
For sure I will keep you updated on pods. If you try them again try full shade as at least for me it has not been heat they dislike but to much light that they shy from. My plants are in a grow area with an ambient temp of mid 80's during the day and mid 70's during the night and a heat mat keeping the root area in the upper 70's at the lowest and up to 85 during the warmer times of the day. I pulled one of the three plants away from this enviroment and put it just under another T8 lighting no extra heat added about 4 days ago and this morning bud drop so I will move a heat mat under that grow area as well. Funny thing on these heat mats is between them and my lights the room stays above 65 at the coldest times so far and so I have not run the house heaters yet and my bill is the cheapest it has ever been this time of year. My oct bill was 67$ and all my past ones before adding the grow area with my house heaters going have been over 100$. I will be a happy camper if all winter gos this way.

Back