• Do you need help identifying a šŸŒ¶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? šŸ¤§
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

annuum The (Supposed) Shishito Roulette Wheel

It's often reported in seed magazines and in descriptions about Shishitos that they are very mild peppers (maybe more of a sweet than a hot pepper, really) but that approximately 1 in 10 peppers is a bit of wild card in that it's hot. I've been growing Shishitos for a few years now, and have never eaten a Shishito that's given me more than a mild tingle. Has anyone here actually ever had a Shishito that had a respectable amount of heat before?

I've grown shishito in the past. Your description of "a mild tingle" sounds about right. Perhaps a thing for people with a very low tolerance for spicy food? (I'm suddenly remembered of those diced Tamedā„¢ JalapeƱos)

I grew some but tasted too few to know if it ever goes above mild. I think tolerance can be a bitch because when I do dinner in my home I am sure it is not spicy. But I am often reminded that I don't know what 'non spicy' mean. Now I have to put my spices on a plate not before.

I grew some but tasted too few to know if it ever goes above mild. I think tolerance can be a bitch because when I do dinner in my home I am sure it is not spicy. But I am often reminded that I don't know what 'non spicy' mean. Now I have to put my spices on a plate not before.

I think I'm done with growing Shishitos for a little while. They're a nice tasting pepper but too small and not quite spicy enough, plus in the few years that I've grown them, the productivity has been low relative to that of other plants. Next year I'm looking at trying Pimento de Padron as my frying pepper, let's see where that takes us.

I have just read about two of them, because I remember I saved some seeds from the Padron pepper and could't remember if they grew. I think they did and with Shishito they were so similar, I forgot they are different.

According to the text I've read, Padron supposedly have 1/10 chance to be spicy and Shishito has 1/100 chance. And wrinkles. Mine didn't have noticeable wrinkles. And didn't have amazing amounts of pods but more than a bell pepper. Bell pepper in my language means not worthy of growing xD

Last edited:
I have just read about two of them, because I remember I saved some seeds from the Padron pepper and could't remember if they grew. I think they did and with Shishito they were so similar, I forgot they are different.

According to the text I've read, Padron supposedly have 1/10 chance to be spicy and Shishito has 1/100 chance. And wrinkles. Mine didn't have noticeable wrinkles. And didn't have amazing amounts of pods but more than a bell pepper. Bell pepper in my language means not worthy of growing xD

I'll report back on the Padron after next year's grow. If it doesn't do anything for me, I'll just resign to growing long hots as my frying pepper. I'll pick up store bought long hots from time to time but there's no comparison to if grown in a garden. A buddy of mine gave me some long hots from his garden and they were HOT and really good tasting. I love frying in a little olive oil and sea salt, such a versatile accompaniment.

I'll follow up about the Padrons. My annuum list next year is reasonably small (my chinense and pubescens lists are larger). For annuums I have Jeromin (a hot paprika pepper), Jaranda (another paprika pepper but not as hot as Jeromin if I understand correctly), Zapotec Jalapeno, Craig's Grande Jalapeno, and Pimento de Padron.

Back