• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

The UNLUCKY SQUIRREL made by scott Zalkind owner of LDHS

As much as I want to finish this, I am saving the remainder of my bottle so I can do a 1 vs 2 comparison if I get the new batch.

I ate the pods raw - they were quite hot. Hotter than a habanero by a fair stretch.

I tamed it with jalapeño quite a bit but I did taste tests side by side with my Orange Label and the heat was comparable - about a 6/10 (the new batch of Orange Labrl is hotter) - I think it was just balanced enough to fool your taste buds is all.

No way that was a 2/10. Others in here have agreed that it's 6/10, so right now you are in the minority with that assesment. You're talking the same heat as my Green Label at 2/10 and that's just not the case.

It's not a big deal, but I think it's kind of amusing.

Always happy to entertain! :) *8takes a bow*

Maybe I've damaged all of the tasters sense of heat scale with my sauces hah. My Dad keeps telling me its too hot, and I keep making it hotter...

The batch I made today has like an oz and a half of pepper (mostly bhut, but contains many peppers and is around bhut heat) powder, and 3oz of pepper paste, mixed with a store bought naga morrich sauce that was quite hot, despite tasting terrible... Garlic, onions, and so forth as well... Turned out tasty I think, and not overwhelmingly hot, despite the fact that 1oz of pepper powder loosely equates to 10? of fresh pod? something like that... If a single pod is a half oz, then thats like 30-40 supers All in a normal sized woozie. :flamethrower:

May have over done it this time... We'll see tomorrow.

If you make another batch, I'll definitely buy one :) and keep my mouth shut about the heat. lol Unless you need some entertainment I suppose *chuckle*

Mines been in the fridge here at home, but it's coming to college with me where I can do some real damage to it. Ate it on some nachos yesterday. Yummy!

Brought one of the last few bottles out to Phat Matt's yesterday (mmmmmm, brisket) and chowed with the dude from BBQGrail (great site, btw) - he thought it was better than my 3 production batches.

I think it's different - It's a much more traditional tasting sauce with a lot of snappiness. Less versitile/balanced to my tastes though. But it should be a good 4th flavor eventually. Ill play with it for a year & see where it's at. I'm toying with the idea of using agave instead of sugar to make a sugar-free sauce. Nice selling point maybe.

Anyway, really thrilled that y'all have had such enjoyment of it. As you all know it's a ton of work doung it at home and this feedback makes it all worth it. I'm a little surprised by the passion you guys have for it! Man - maybe I should auction off the last bottle in the marketplace. Hahahaha

Brought one of the last few bottles out to Phat Matt's yesterday (mmmmmm, brisket) and chowed with the dude from BBQGrail (great site, btw) - he thought it was better than my 3 production batches.

I think it's different - It's a much more traditional tasting sauce with a lot of snappiness. Less versitile/balanced to my tastes though. But it should be a good 4th flavor eventually. Ill play with it for a year & see where it's at. I'm toying with the idea of using agave instead of sugar to make a sugar-free sauce. Nice selling point maybe.

Anyway, really thrilled that y'all have had such enjoyment of it. As you all know it's a ton of work doung it at home and this feedback makes it all worth it. I'm a little surprised by the passion you guys have for it! Man - maybe I should auction off the last bottle in the marketplace. Hahahaha
It would bring about 500 bucks, lol.

It is less versatile than orange label for me, but the flavor is just spectacular.

Back