spirits The Whisky Thread

QuadShotz said:
Holy Mother of Crappachino, Nova!!!

Everclear by the carboy!!!!!

Unfriggin' real....where do I sign up for "quality control"?

Yup, there is over a gallon in that piccy!! Makes approx 12 litres of drinkable shine and only cost around $20 to make!! :hell:

You'd think moi of all people would like that Clamato swill. I do not. I do not like it in the can. I do not like it with cayenne. I do not like it in my drink. I will pour it in the sink. I do not like that Clamato swill, but 2 shots of vodka...yes I will!!

I have a question for the Whisky Conosours...

I was given a 3/4 full bottle of The Macallan Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky (12 years old) about 5 years ago. I enjoy this whisky and was curious if it is expensive and of 'collector quality'?

Also, a silly question for the experts...does whisky go bad? Like I have no idea how long this bottle has been open. I know wine goes bad, it turns to vinegar. But, what about whisky? I did say it was a silly question, so Nova leave the meter be. :lol:

Not that silly really, well maybe a little...

As far as i know it won't "go off" but it definantly is not getting any better. After it is taken from the casks it should be at it's best and likewise should be drank straight away with thoughtless abandon (comes natural for me lol). As for the question is it a collectors whiskey i don't know but google will. *goes away to google* Ok im back it retails for around the $65-$70 mark and is currently in stock at the online shop i just visited.

Heres a tidbit---
Macallan (12 yr., 43%) 93 A seamless whisky of great integrity! Full amber color. A rich, fragrant aroma fills the nose with honeyed sherry, smoke, and light fruit. Its flavor delivers what the aroma promised, with a very full, voluptuous, balance of sherry, caramel malt, delicate fruit and smoke. A beautiful, full-bodied, sherried Speyside.

My guess is that it isn't a collectors dream, so get to drankin!!

Thanks Nova, I am infact drinking a small glass on the rocks as we speak and after reading your post I'm not feeling a bit guilty. ;)

Good to hear PF, now you enjoy your drinky poos mmmmmkkkkkkk :D

Errrr sorry to interupt your drinking PF but i kinda missed this part in the review.
* Famously collectible, Macallan bottlings spent much of the past 10 years breaking the record for the world's most expensive bottle, only to have it snatched from them recently by a Dalmore.*

:Runs far away:

Yeah the Macallen 12 year is a nice drop and I have had (and finished) many bottles of it over the years. Not collectable but a bloody nice dram from a world class distillery.

and as nova said, whisky won't go "off" due to the high alcohol content, but after a few years, it can change flavour ever so slightly, you would have to know the complexities of the dram very well to tell. The more air that's in the bottle will affect the flavour over many years.

Also once a bottle gets below a certain point and you don't drink it you will find that the level of the bottle will drop. This is known as the "angels share". It happens mostly when the spirit is in the cask but the drink will very slowly evapourate in the bottle once it about 1/2 empty. We tend not to notice because we drink our favourite drinks to fast to tell or don't take notice of the level, but if you got a bottle of 50% whisky and made a mark at when it was half full and came back in 5 years you would find that the level would have dropped some what depending on the temperature the bottle was stored at and other factors.....

Some very helpful and useful information. Thanks guys. :)

Oh and Nova...I almost felt a twinge of guilt after reading your edit, but I took another swig instead. Sorry I read Moy's post before seeing your edit.

:takes another pull from glass:

Mass produced 12 year olds will never be a collectable, It's only that Macallen has such a good reputation that people buy and shelve their 12 years olds.....

But on the other hand a collectable is something that you really like and always have (even if it's not expensive or rare).....I ALWAYS have a bottle of 10 year old Ardbeg in the cabinet and and love drinking it on a regular basis...So, for me that would make it a collectable

If you want a colectable Single malt these days...... its a fair call to say if its worth less that 4 figures....... just drink it and enjoy.

I looked up some colectable bottles and they are around the 5 to 10 K mark.

Too much for my budget with kids and home loan to pay for.

I personally love the 16 year lagavulin. Its dry and peaty and bloody nice. My bottle is alost empty and i'd say now that im thinking about it im up for another $100 :)

cheers

Ya could always just get the Ardberg Soap...;)

Hmm...this sounds fun:

SHEEP DIP 1990 Old Hebridean
A vatting of aged island and highland single malt whiskies. Apparently this contains 19 year old Dalmore, 21 year old Fettercairn, and 25 year old Ardbeg, vatted then aged for 15 years more. Very sherried and peaty, this is a gem of a discovery!

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?cat_id=D_ARDB&pf_id=1000000000336

Me, I'd like a drop first done up the year I was born....

0010000037739_xl.jpg

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?pf_id=0010000037739

:D

If your a sheep with lice!

Off topic!

Im enjoying a Jack Daniels Single barrel tonight.

mmmmmmmmmmmm Timber........ i can taste the timber.

Worth every cent.

Back