overwintering the winter grow!

beardedchunk said:
Plants are looking great, dart! I'm looking forward to seeing the indoor melons.

I hate reading the last post in a thread, getting all excited, then reading the rest.

Watermelon update as soon as I get home. Had a minor setback on Tuesday. I man decided he could pull out in front of me and I ended up in an ambulance. Lucked out with road rash bushing and 4 broken ribs so I'll get a grow update up in a couple days.
With a pepper update as well cause that's what this forum is all about right

All I read at first was "Watermelon update" thinking "Jesus, what does this man do with his melons..."

I've got Saul Goodman's number around here somewhere if you need it..

Here is an update on the winter grow. The watermelons are coming along nicely and I'll have to get them supported soon. Im going to move them out under there own CFL so I can spread out the peppers.

I have two on this one plant which I might prune one off so the plant can focus on the one melon.

I had to leave town for 4 days and when I got home my pepper where in dire need of a drink of water. One more day and it could have been a tragedy.

Gave them all a drink and they came back and are all looking healthy again

I thought I'd show an updated photo of one of my Trinidad Douglah plants that I topped.

Oh man, I'm glad to hear you're ok- too many people getting hurt on bikes. I've almost bitten it myself, hope there isn't too much damage to your bike. Anyway, enjoying reading about your grow thus far!

Thanks Virgil Cane Im enjoying the grow immensely. As for the bike it's most likely a write off. But it's a miracle I didn't get more injured or killed. Would have been a shame not to get to see my peppers pod out. Im running out of room to keep all 50 pepper plants under my lights cause I think its time to pot up the peppers soon. There in 24oz cups at the moment and they have between 8 and 12 true leaves.

Im basically at the point wear im out of room to keep all 50 pepper plants I really want to keep them but that would mean buying 50 containers that are about 1.5L and repoting all the peppers. I really think 50 is over kill and I should just pick my best 20 and repot into my 4.5L pots I have. Im just really having a hard time letting go.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to destroy the ones you don't want to pot up.

Keep them in the cups.  Put them anywhere you've got room that gets a tiny bit of light.  They'll go dormant and some might die, but when your important plants start dying you'll have spares.  Quicker to get em producing from this stage than from seed.

Or go mad scientist with the rest.

Practice grafting.

Take up treeweaving.
Tree_400.jpg

Start farming aphids on them.  See how bad they can get, then throw aphid bombs into the gardens of neighbours that you hate.

Ok so I now have 20 plants that have 12 to 20 leaves in 1.5 gal pots.
Moruga Scorpion
Black Naga
White Bhut
devil
7 pot yellow
7 pot chocolate
scotch bonnet yellow
Malaysian Goronong
big sun habs
mustard habs
Orange magnum habs
Santa fe grands
sweet datil
aji dulce yellow
aji dulce #2

I kept another 19 plants in the 24oz cups for now just to see how the transplanting goes. Maybe I'll sell them on kijiji. I moved the watermelons out into my kitchen and I have them under a CFL. My rack is full of peppers only now.

Time for a 1 month update. My peppers have been under the Enviro Gro T5 HO 4 ft 8 bulb lights with AgroBrite High Output 54w 6400K bulbs for 1 month now and Im super pleased with the growth that Im seeing. This is my first grow so people with more experience will have to comment on the quality of the grow given the amount of time. I have between 18 and 36 true leaves now and my pants are 6 to 8 inches tall. They are now in pots that are 10" diameter and 8" tall. Here are some pics I took today.

Watermelons are growing nicely. All 4 plants have melons on them. These have also been under the T5 HO lights for 1 month and I now have them under a sunblaster CFL.

Looks great dart, not to be too nosey but do you mind me asking what u have wrapped up into your set up dollar wise? Looks like what I would like to have in my basement in the near future.

cdubb2010 said:
Looks great dart, not to be too nosey but do you mind me asking what u have wrapped up into your set up dollar wise? Looks like what I would like to have in my basement in the near future.
Hahaha to funny I just answered your question in your own thread.....be as nosy as you like it's why where here to learn and save someone eles the trouble of failing.
Oh and I said around $1000 dollars but that's Canadian. You can get everything I have cheaper in the states. It cost me $265 for each light fixture with the bulbs included plus the fancy rack I could have built myself (lazy plus it wouldn't have turned out as nice) $220. Germinating tray with heat pad $45. $100 in cups, pots, emergency blanket,small pruning shears. Then $160 in soil mix and ferts.
Oh and $65 for all the seeds.
I ordered the rack cause I couldn't find one that was 60"×24" which was what I wanted to have room for the light to hang freely and have the space to take 20 plants to pods.

Haha yeah I just saw your reply on my thread also. I really do like your set up man. Now at what point do the plants get too large for the rack and you have to abandon it? What do you do at that point in terms of set up when they get near adult hood?

The rack is tall enough that I drop one shelf out so there's just the bottom and middle shelf. The light are on pulleys and it gives me a max grow hight of 30" of plant.
There adults making peppers bye that hight.

This is an Aji dulce yellow at 40 days.

This is a Malaysian Goronong also 40 days.

This is a White Bhut Jolkia also 40 days.

This is a Santa fe Grand also 40 days.

This is a Santa fe Grand that is 40 days under the T5's. I topped this plant a few weeks ago. I think this pic shows what you can expect from topping. I belive that if you want a bushy plant that will have a better chance being more sturdy and not needing to be staked this is the way to go. And I say this as we not all plants need to be topped some will grow in this same way on there own. I have a Black naga that is as bushy as this Santa fe and I've not put the shears to it.

The Santa fe in the pic now has 6 main beams now.
Oh and 25 flower pods.

Back