• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The world's heaviest pod contest 2015

Now hold on.  What is to prevent a big bell from sweeping all before it.  Some of us would argue that bells aren't really even peppers. 

Problems aside, this may be the coolest thread in years.  I will watch with cocktails.  :drunk:

BTW, alma paprika also puts out some very heavy pods (hint hint).

Suggestion:  In many of the pics the scale display cannot be seen.  Please state the reading in the message.

This is 5 1/8th ounces or 146 grams

Corno Di Toro sweet pepper

8_13BigPepper1_zpsbhfdxi50.jpg

What it looked like a couple days ago.

8_11BigPepper_zpsug865ujv.jpg

DMF said:
Now hold on.  What is to prevent a big bell from sweeping all before it.  Some of us would argue that bells are really even peppers. 

Problems aside, this may be the coolest thread in years.  I will watch with cocktails.  :drunk:

BTW, alma paprika also puts out some very heavy pods (hint hint).

Suggestion:  In many of the pics the scale display cannot be seen.  Please state the reading in the message.

You really must have been drunk, every picture that has the scale you can read the output. :) 

Well, my eyes aren't real young, and my monitor is a little dark, but there's several I couldn't read. 

So, is a current status possible yet?

Currently messed up on coffee.

dragon49 said:
My yellow 7 is outside, but in a 5 gallon bucket with potting soil, getting MaxiBloom once in a while.  Not sure if the container is limiting the size of the pods, but I am not disappointed at all. 
I would not be disappointed in the slightest, either. You have monster pods for being grown in a bucket.

alkhall said:
I would not be disappointed in the slightest, either. You have monster pods for being grown in a bucket.
Thanks.

Here is my second heaviest Yellow 7.  It is much smaller than the one that surpasses it by .01 oz, so it must be more densely packed:

Here is my heaviest Pimento De Neyde x Bhut Jolokia F7:

I have 2 on the vine which may be heavier, but am waiting at least a day for them to ripen a bit more.

Bhuter, I can see that there's something on the display but I can't read it.  Help a guy out?

(Magnificent pod, btw.)

dragon49 said:
Nice!  What is it growing in and what nutrients are you giving it?
Thank you! I grow everything in-ground, except 1 OW Black Naga and I'm using an old bloom fert that has an NPK of 5-5-10. I'm sure there are better products, but I had this laying around and it has good micronutrients.

DMF said:
Bhuter, I can see that there's something on the display but I can't read it.  Help a guy out?

(Magnificent pod, btw.)
Sorry about that. It reads 1.040 oz or a little over 29 grams. Thank you very much!

so 5 1/8 is the current record to beat for annums going to be a tough one. too bad i'm not growing any bells. 

D3monic said:
so 5 1/8 is the current record to beat for annums going to be a tough one. too bad i'm not growing any bells. 
Well... as I said earlier, my scales go up to 300 g/10.5 Oz. and one of my Great Stuff bells caused the scale to error out, so...

I would guess the biggest bells would be more than a pound.

FROG DOG said:
shouldn't each entry be surpassing the previous.....or is this like look i tried kind of deal, hehehe. 
Nah it should be about the best each person can produce. Of course the heaviest will win but if we wait for the next heavier one this might be a dying thread. The more pictures the better IMO. Besides, even though what I'm growing doesn't compare to what is being posted here, at least I can see how big they could be given the right conditions. :party:

Hawaiianero said:
Nah it should be about the best each person can produce. Of course the heaviest will win but if we wait for the next heavier one this might be a dying thread. The more pictures the better IMO. Besides, even though what I'm growing doesn't compare to what is being posted here, at least I can see how big they could be given the right conditions. :party:
This is for fun.  I encourage people to post pics of their heaviest pods, even if other entries in the same category far surpass the weight.

Hawaiianero said:
i agree, post your biggest tepin if you want.....i just love the pod pics baby :lol:

Back