• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The year of FLAVOR...

I grew super hots and such, and while they have their uses for powders and sauces to kick it up a notch... I have to say next year will be a year of flavor with some heat.... Had my first Aji Lemon, out standing... along with other firsts. My first and only Mistress will be the Fatali... Love a stuffed Bishops Crown. Have some Brazilian Starfish seeds. i like the unusual pods also. I guess what I'm gettin at , are Super hots a novelty of sorts? Don't get me wrong I see people eatin whole pods, which I like a ring of fire, but i can't do a whole one. Doesn't mean i don't like them, I just think there are some peppers out there which could fill a gap when your belly be an aching...I will be growin plenty again next season, but lookin forward to some Relleno peppers... MMMMMM

YES! I do love me some Aji Lemon myself! :D

I will be growing Fatalii for the first time this season to see what all the fuss is about. It had better live up to it's name! :shakes a warning fist at my Fatalii plant: :lol:

Lemon Drops, Paper Lanterns......OOHHHH YEEAAAHH!

The superhots definitely have their appeal. A limited number of the general populace can eat superhots with some regularity. The rest of us chileheads will eat the lemon drops, serranos, lanterns, throw in the habs and fataliis for special occasions....

that's real life outside of THP. :lol:

wimps...

jk :lol: Yeah, I agree. You need to mix it up a bit. I love my supers, but I can't eat them day after day without unfavorable side effects. The mouth and throat burn is no problem, but laying in bed at 3am with horrible stomach cramps when you need to get up and go to work in a few hours is not my idea of a good time.

My tag line has my favorites for flavor... but that is my list for the exotic chiles. A roasted green chile like a Big Jim, Barker or Lumbre tastes 10 times better to me than any Chinense variety I have ever had. If I was on an island and could only grow one chile, it would be a New Mexico Green type hands down. It still amazes me that I can occasionally get a NM Green that burns as hard as a Habanero or even a Fatali. It must be the mix and type of capsinoids in them. If I lived in an area that did not sell them abundantly, I think 80% of my garden would be devoted to growing them along with Biker Billy’s.

Having said all that, I think the tastiest one I have reviewed this year has been AjiJoe’s Peach Bhut. It was really really impressive for a Chinense. The Rocoto’s also are on their own level above most everything else. I still need to try more varieties to be sure and the heat so far... is way below the hottest green chile but they are still great. I am going to be trying to grow 8 different varieties for the 1st time next year. It may be a crash and burn type of endeavor but they were very special and worth the attempt.

Aji Lemon great pepper and plant I have to keep giving away these pods to family and friends due to overload :dance:
I think the actual plant itself would have to be one of my favourites too. Last season when all my other plants whinged about it being too hot and wouldn't produce for me, my Aji Lemon just kept pumping them out—absolute trooper! It produced for me three times over the season too and looked like it was ready for a fourth lot until I pruned it back for Winter.

Best. Chilli plant. EVER. :cool:

I think 80% of my garden would be devoted to growing them along with Biker Billy’s.
I'm also growing Biker Billy for the first time this season. Along with Fatalii, they too had better live up their rep!

Everybody has their own sweet spot and what’s important is finding it. I like what I’m doing now, but god knows where it goes from here!!

Just don't grow a Choco Fatali. I will still grow a few super hots, but I still want to try new varieties, so I'm not missin anything... I'm sure any of ya growing Fatalis, ya won't be disjointed...

I'm also growing Biker Billy for the first time this season. Along with Fatalii, they too had better live up their rep!

You'll love the Fatalii.
Heads up on the Biker Billy. If you are growing from the seed I sent, they were disappointing this year. Average size pods and one of the mildest jalapenos I've ever had. Very nice flavor but just not the heat or size I was expecting. I think Burpee must've had some seed problems with them. Let me know how yours turn out.

You'll love the Fatalii.
Heads up on the Biker Billy. If you are growing from the seed I sent, they were disappointing this year. Average size pods and one of the mildest jalapenos I've ever had. Very nice flavor but just not the heat or size I was expecting. I think Burpee must've had some seed problems with them. Let me know how yours turn out.
They would be the ones, mate! :D

But don't tell me that... I have been waiting for like EVER to finally give them bad boys a burl! Maybe you just didn't do it right... (J/K!) :P

As they're a hybrid, I wonder if they are stable or not. :think: Or perhaps even a seed mix up on Burpees part... (Jalapeno False Alarm) :eek:

EDIT:

Will definitely let you know how I go though, mate. You may have to wait a little bit is all as mine are only just growing their first sets of true leaves now.

In my first season I screwed up everything - soil - nutes - started too late etc. Despite that one plant pumped out pods with no problem.

Aji Lemon

It didn't stop for winter either. I had it in a cold frame and it kept on going. I finally cut it back near the end of winter and put it outside and its resprouting now.

Taste great too. :cool:

I grew super hots and such, and while they have their uses for powders and sauces to kick it up a notch... I have to say next year will be a year of flavor with some heat.... Had my first Aji Lemon, out standing... along with other firsts. My first and only Mistress will be the Fatali... Love a stuffed Bishops Crown. Have some Brazilian Starfish seeds. i like the unusual pods also. I guess what I'm gettin at , are Super hots a novelty of sorts? Don't get me wrong I see people eatin whole pods, which I like a ring of fire, but i can't do a whole one. Doesn't mean i don't like them, I just think there are some peppers out there which could fill a gap when your belly be an aching...I will be growin plenty again next season, but lookin forward to some Relleno peppers... MMMMMM

Here here!

I think we sometimes get distracted by all the craziness of the heat and forget that it's food we're eating, and it's food we're trying to enhance the taste of.

As they're a hybrid, I wonder if they are stable or not. :think: Or perhaps even a seed mix up on Burpees part... (Jalapeno False Alarm) :eek:

I don't think they are really hybrids, they probably just call them hybrids so people will buy them every year instead of saving their own. I've grown f2s a couple of times and they always appear to be stable and grow true

My tag line has my favorites for flavor... but that is my list for the exotic chiles. A roasted green chile like a Big Jim, Barker or Lumbre tastes 10 times better to me than any Chinense variety I have ever had. If I was on an island and could only grow one chile, it would be a New Mexico Green type hands down. It still amazes me that I can occasionally get a NM Green that burns as hard as a Habanero or even a Fatali. It must be the mix and type of capsinoids in them. If I lived in an area that did not sell them abundantly, I think 80% of my garden would be devoted to growing them along with Biker Billy’s.

Having said all that, I think the tastiest one I have reviewed this year has been AjiJoe’s Peach Bhut. It was really really impressive for a Chinense. The Rocoto’s also are on their own level above most everything else. I still need to try more varieties to be sure and the heat so far... is way below the hottest green chile but they are still great. I am going to be trying to grow 8 different varieties for the 1st time next year. It may be a crash and burn type of endeavor but they were very special and worth the attempt.
I have to agree my man. I have eaten many super hots, including the Jolokia and Im wondering if the different varieties like the annums, Chinense, and fruct- have different capasciunoids.

I'm definitely planning on scaling down the chinenses and superhots next year. There are only so many superhots I can consume, there's no point in growing a thousand superhot pods every year when there's no way I'm going to consume that many in a year.

I grew a ton of redundant chinenses too, too many different varieties with practically the same color and very similar flavor and heat. Too much trouble keeping all these varieties separate when one doesn't offer anything unique enough from the other. I do like the flavor of chinenses a lot, but I had superhots and chinenses coming out of my ears all summer while I was constantly running out of jalapeños and nu mex types. I like the flavor of bhut jolokia a lot too, but I find it difficult to match with food. I don't think the flavor goes very well with Mexican food, which I cook a lot.

In lieu of a lot of the chinenses and superhots I'm going to grow more bird peppers, Biker Billy's, and more numex, Mexican, and sweet types. Probably a few more baccatums and pubescens, and some more mild chinenses. I probably won't grow any ornamentals next year either. No point in taking up limited space, time and resources with plants that I'm not going to cook with, I'm not really into growing plants that are just for looks.

It's easier said than done though, the superhots are so fun to grow and I'm like a kid in a candy store wanting to grow every different strain... :eek:

...In lieu of a lot of the chinenses and superhots I'm going to grow more bird peppers, Biker Billy's, and more numex, Mexican, and sweet types. Probably a few more baccatums and pubescens, and some more mild chinenses. I probably won't grow any ornamentals next year either....

...It's easier said than done though, the superhots are so fun to grow and I'm like a kid in a candy store wanting to grow every different strain... :eek:
I'm in this camp. I'm always in need of the 'mild hots' being constantly out of home grown versatile peppers like Anaheims, Jalapenos (and sweet Bells) for salads, cooking, canning.

After being on this Board for a few months, I'm getting more hooked on the growing exotic peppers and SuperHot fun and challenge but doubt it will ever surpass my functional need for the milder hots.

Original post refers to FLAVOR--hard to define. Perhaps the hottest wins by maxxing out taste buds! The stuff I like is more about TEXTURE, like thicker walled meaty peppers providing a substantial part of the meal, while imparting a flavor that does not overwhelm.

I only grew a few chinenses this season for a change and I think I'll continue this next season and grow more jalapenos, fresnos Numex/Anaheims, aconcaguas, as well as my all my own hybrids/crosses

Back