• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ThePepperGrowingMan's 2011 Grow Log (DWC)

With the 2010 outdoor season coming to end (here's my 2010 grow log and here's my 2010 harvest compilation for those who just like pictures) it's time to kick off the 2011 grow. Trying something different this time...growing clones in dwc buckets over the winter from some of my best plants this year and then 4 - 6 weeks before plant out in 2011 taking clones from my clones and rooting them in dirt. I root them in the bucket on the right and after rooted each will get it's own bucket similar to the one on the left. Will grow all winter and if all goes well these 4 plants should contribute 10 - 20+ clones for my garden of 25 - 30 plants.

On the left is a bhut jolokia and on the right we have two giant bhut jolkias and a chocolate jolokia.

IMG_3522.jpg

so it begins...

I backed the lights off (both time on and distance from plants) a few days ago and it's helped the leaf curl a little. Still haven't changed the water in either bucket since the last update, may do that today in the bucket with the 2 chocolate jolokias.

2 chocolate jolokias:

IMG_3846.jpg

IMG_3845.jpg

and the brain strain

IMG_3847.jpg

:cheers:

Progress!

Finally added some nutes to the brain strain today.

img_3871.jpg

The chocolate jolokias are both doing well too:

img_3875.jpg

img_3874.jpg

img_3873.jpg

Group shot -
img_3876.jpg

I had to kill a bunch of stuff to get a handle on growing in DWC but now that that's past I feel like this is pretty easy, especially compared to dirt. I can just ignore the buckets at this point for a week + which is just how i like it :)

They are looking good. :cheers: I think backing the lights off was a good idea because in the earlier pics the plants were very short and wide, with really short internodal spaces (I think thats what its called). And in the latest update pics the tops of the plants have started to stretch a bit more. The lights definitely aren't too far away like I had mine because they go really tall and stretch for the light.

Did you find out what was the cause of the root rot that killed off the clones? I had that problem with my hydro system and I think it was because my growing cupboard was too enclosed and the reservoir got too hot from the lights.

I had given up on hydro but I might try to do a DWC again after learning what not to do.

Did you find out what was the cause of the root rot that killed off the clones? I had that problem with my hydro system and I think it was because my growing cupboard was too enclosed and the reservoir got too hot from the lights.

I'm fairly certain heat was my issue too. I was actually using a small fish tank heater in the first bucket thinking 60 degrees would be too cold for the roots. I think the rot set in the first bucket and then when i moved the clones to the their own buckets it followed right along. MI might have had some light issues too - heat and light = not good for roots. The reflective metal tape helped solved both issues. No more light and reflects any heat from the lights.

Definitely got some thick stems there. Putting on some height too I see. Looking Good!

Thank you.

Stems are thick, that's for sure. Cools temps in my basement + keeping the lights close will do that. Think the temps may make them set buds/flowers earlier too, I noticed small buds today on the brain strain and chocolate jolokias.

img_3992.jpg

what about a aqurium heater for the buckets to keep the temp at the right range just an idea don't know if it would work

I used of those before in the bucket and am pretty sure it contributed to root rot. The key with DWC, at least how I understand it, is to keep the temsp inside the bucket in the 60's (limits algea/nasty growth) but outside temps can be in the "normal" growing range. I'm fine with slow growth, no plans to try and enclose my grow space to control temps until next year. This year is already well underway :woohoo:

I moved one of the chocolate bhut jolokias (right) to dirt. Needed to free up some space in that bucket, it was getting crowded. The one on the left is the 7 pod brain strain. Still going strong and I haven't changed water/nutes in 4 weeks or more. I love how low maintenance these buckets are.

img_4005.jpg

Even though the brain strain is only about 3 inches tall (and the stem is about an inch thick, lol) the cool temps causing it to flower like crazy. I've been pinching buds almost every day.

img_4006.jpg

Update time!

The chocolate bhut has been growing like crazy. Lots of buds but they keep drying up and falling off. The 2x2 T5 I'm using isn't cutting it. I'm going to move it under my 4x4 T5 in about 6 weeks after I move my other plants outside.

img_4128.jpg

The chocolate bhut I transplanted from dwc to dirt is doing well:

img_4123.jpg

img_4124.jpg

The brain strain I moved from dwc to dirt is growing too although much slower. It's a dense plant.

img_4125.jpg

Back