• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grilling Thinking of purchasing a new grill/smoker

Hello all,
I have been a member here for a little while but this is my first post in the BBQ/Grilling section.  I saw a deal at our local Academy Sports for the grill/smoker in the link below for $229.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-triton-4-burner-propane-and-charcoal-grill/pid-1067116?color=Black&N=578846087 

I currently have this http://www.lowes.com/pd_44754-49769-2121_0__?productId=3033621&Ntt=char+griller&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dchar%2Bgriller&facetInfo= with the smoker box attachment.

I wanted to get a combo because I love using charcoal (and the smoker box) on the weekends, but i don't grill enough during the week because of the time involved of using charcoal after work. I enjoy smoking meats but i am by no means a pro.  I do however grill a lot, especially on the weekends. I originally wanted this grill/smoker http://www.lowes.com/pd_5050-49769-5050_0__?productId=1245537&Ntt=char+griller&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dchar%2Bgriller&facetInfo= but obviously it is more expensive at $299. So sorry for all the links and the long story, but i was wondering if anyone has used either one of these grills/smokers and what your thoughts are.

Thanks

I am personally not big on combo deals but that is just me. I have smokers to smoke and grills to grill. I hate that I use propane but in the winter months it is very convenient :) The same applies to an electric smoker I use mainly for smoking peppers but in the winter on cold days meat may make an appearance. 

I am a huge fan of Weber products and if I had the coin I'd be going custom. 

Enjoy!

I'm with Joyner,offset smokers are fuel hogs in my opinion.A nice Weber will smoke for along time on one load of heat and wood chunks.Or as a grill.

This

10390139_10201787406231248_7254830467320868553_n.jpg

equals this

10294413_10201789224676708_1498821205396979236_n.jpg

:dance:

+1 on Weber. I have the Weber Smokey Mountain as above for smoking and a propane unit for grilling.

Cheap offset smokers are notoriously finicky, especially combo units. It may serve your purposes just fine, and I know cost is a huge consideration, but caveat emptor. Having a propane gasser with a side burner is also nice feature. You can cook hot sauces outside, and make other meals if you ever lose power.

hottoddy said:
+1 on Weber. I have the Weber Smokey Mountain as above for smoking and a propane unit for grilling.

Cheap offset smokers are notoriously finicky, especially combo units. It may serve your purposes just fine, and I know cost is a huge consideration, but caveat emptor. Having a propane gasser with a side burner is also nice feature. You can cook hot sauces outside, and make other meals if you ever lose power.

Whatever i do a side burner definitely seems like a plus for the exact reasons you mentioned.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Agreed, spatchcock jerk chicken smoked with some pimento wood...mmmm mmmmm
    Joyner I youtubed spatchcocked chicken and am impressed.I've done a Turducken and wondered how much bone you take out on your spatchcock?God I luv that name.And what do you make your jerk with?If anyone is wondering,these are serious questions.HA

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Agreed, spatchcock jerk chicken smoked with some pimento wood...mmmm mmmmm

Too much in common. I also have a WSM and Genesis, and just purchased two Costco chickens to smoke spatchcock style (the best way) this weekend. Probably use pecan wood, and just a simple rub.

randyp said:
    Joyner I youtubed spatchcocked chicken and am impressed.I've done a Turducken and wondered how much bone you take out on your spatchcock?God I luv that name.And what do you make your jerk with?If anyone is wondering,these are serious questions.HA
Walkerswood
hottoddy said:

Too much in common. I also have a WSM and Genesis, and just purchased two Costco chickens to smoke spatchcock style (the best way) this weekend. Probably use pecan wood, and just a simple rub.
1005536_10201333464402986_809060655_n.jpg

Some more Weber love here...
I've had a Weber three burner grill (Genesis I think) for more than 10 years now. It gets frequent use and still works great.
Before that I was using a Weber Smokey Joe that was purchased when we moved into our house in 1993. I converted it to a smoker this past fall (which is smoking a pork shoulder as I type this).
As much as I love the Smokey Joe conversion, I'm pretty sure there is a Smokey Mountain in my future  :dance:

Here is my Memorial Day weekend cook on the WSM. I decided to do two chickens in pans, instead of spatchcock. The pans allow them to cook in their own juices but also has holes for the smoke. Both methods are great.
14276884324_028ede001a_c.jpg

Sesame ginger on the left and traditional rub on the right.

Back