• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Thinning Seedlings

If you're gonna thin out seedlings when is the best time to do it? Also what's a better choice of how to do it... pinching, transplanting?

I thin when they completely pop out of the soil before their first set of true leaves show up. I carefull pull the unwanted seedling out (sometimes consuming them right there). I've used scisors to cut them off at the base but I stopped doing that after a bunch of their roots kept growing after decapitation.

imaguitargod said:
I thin when they completely pop out of the soil before their first set of true leaves show up. I carefull pull the unwanted seedling out (sometimes consuming them right there). I've used scisors to cut them off at the base but I stopped doing that after a bunch of their roots kept growing after decapitation.

Cool... thx man. My first set of true leaves are just starting to grow. I'm gonna try on pull out the weaker seedlings

imaguitargod said:
Do it gently in case the root are intertwined.

I just finished my first 72 cell tray. There were 2 seedlings in all cells but one... so out of 144 seeds only 1 didn't germinate! They came out pretty easy.... longer root system than I'd thought they'd have, but they were spaced enough in the cells where they didn't have a chance to intertwine.

Is this a private conversation?(;))

I hate culling, but it is necessary. I do it after 2 weeks or so, because the first to pop up is not necessarilly the best specimen.

cheezydemon said:
Is this a private conversation?(;))

I hate culling, but it is necessary. I do it after 2 weeks or so, because the first to pop up is not necessarilly the best specimen.

Not private at all! lol My seeds germinated about 2.5 weeks ago, so I could pretty much tell which were the stronger of the two... although in a lot of the cells they both looked good.

I don't. Let them all grow together, pull the best ones out and transplant them, soak the soil so what's left keep on keeping on. But I group sow mine.

Mike

wordwiz said:
I don't. Let them all grow together, pull the best ones out and transplant them, soak the soil so what's left keep on keeping on. But I group sow mine.

Mike

That's a really good idea... I felt bad tossin out a bunch of good seedlings lol what a waste

I pull the weaker ones out and transplant them into pots anyway, I dont mind (usually) letting more than one grow. If it is obviously weak and crappy it gets snuffed, but two healthy seedlings will be allowed to try and live.I use jiffy pots, if that makes a difference.

McGoo said:
I pull the weaker ones out and transplant them into pots anyway, I dont mind (usually) letting more than one grow. If it is obviously weak and crappy it gets snuffed, but two healthy seedlings will be allowed to try and live.I use jiffy pots, if that makes a difference.

I only had a few that were obviously crappy and needed the snuffing, but I prolly tossed a good 60 or so seedlings out that were perfectly healthy looking grrrr live and learn! :hell:

If you're going to group plant then stick with "survival of the fittest" from the start. Theoretically if you save your fastest, biggest plants' seeds every year, then you you'll be selectively breeding them to be stronger(or at least faster.) Always destroy the runts and don't shed a tear:)

POTAWIE said:
If you're going to group plant then stick with "survival of the fittest" from the start. Theoretically if you save your fastest, biggest plants' seeds every year, then you you'll be selectively breeding them to be stronger(or at least faster.) Always destroy the runts and don't shed a tear:)

haha... not a tear? damn i was sobbing!:lol:

imaguitargod said:
Hey! I told you to eat them, sprouts are good for you! Great for amino acids!

haha... i should of, i've spent the past 2.5 weeks watchin the little guys grow just to throw em out lol

ExtremeBurn said:
I just finished my first 72 cell tray. There were 2 seedlings in all cells but one... so out of 144 seeds only 1 didn't germinate! They came out pretty easy.... longer root system than I'd thought they'd have, but they were spaced enough in the cells where they didn't have a chance to intertwine.

What varieties of peps are you growing?

PeteyPepper said:
What varieties of peps are you growing?

in this tray i have hot lemon peppers, jalapenos, and orange habs. but I have 2 others as well. one has scorps, naga morich, and bhut jolokia and the other is tomatos, onions, and bell peppers

ExtremeBurn said:
in this tray i have hot lemon peppers, jalapenos, and orange habs. but I have 2 others as well. one has scorps, naga morich, and bhut jolokia and the other is tomatos, onions, and bell peppers

Nice. And stupid hot too :mouthonfire:!!!

Are you going to grow in containers, outside?

Back