• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

this a disease?

I haven't experienced this myself but I believe people in the past have said that is a result of over-watering. I would wait for the more knowledgeable people to comment. Pics would be helpful as well.

Some of my older pepper plants were attacked by spider mites which left little bumps. Look around for incredibly fine webs around the top of the leaves...

not the best quality...but heres some pics
ld006.jpg

ld007.jpg

ld005.jpg

i've had spider mites before, and i know that is not the case...

my_key said:
It looks more like Oedema to me... ?

yep did a google image search...that's definately what it is
200401147PepperOedema4.jpg

are there any major problems that this causes?
and is it contageous?

If your plant is in an environment that doesn't get below 60F, you really don't need a seed heating mat. Once seed sprout, the mat offers little benefit in the majority of circumstances.

I'd nix the mat (as per the Cornell sheet warm soil and cooler humid ambient temps cause the problem) and, as Patrick suggested, reduce the watering. Wait until the plant looks like it's starting to wilt before you give it water.

FWIW,

Bill

just relax the watering a little bit and all will be great. I had that problem last year and just let them dry out a bit more before watering and they ended up just fine.

If you're wanting to evaporate the water just place an oscillating fan by the plant. As per the factsheet you really don't want to heat the soil... "It is likely to develop when the soil is warm and moist and the air is cool and moist".

Back