• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling This years dill pickled japs

Made 12 litres lol theres a few jars missing from friends waiting to have some lol
Picture-9.jpg

Good looking green hotness there CP! Do they come out more pickley like dill pickles or more like the store bought pickled 'peno's? I've never done pickled 'peno's.

Salute! TB.

they have the flavor of dill pickles with that punch of home grown japs awsome on burgers..Since they are green they dont have the sugar content of ripened red japs perfect for dilling..I thought it was a crazy thing untill my buddy gave me a small jar and his wifes recepie ive been hooked since..very pickley lol..YUM

I keep mine simple -- soaked in pickling lime then hot packed with equal parts vinegar and water add Pickling salt, Garlic cloves, pinch Turmeric, sometimes Mustard seed if Im feeling it otherwise thats it.

LUCKYDOG said:
I keep mine simple -- soaked in pickling lime then hot packed with equal parts vinegar and water add Pickling salt, Garlic cloves, pinch Turmeric, sometimes Mustard seed if Im feeling it otherwise thats it.

Do you need a BWB or does the seal get sucked down when it cools?

BWB? After I put the vinegar mnixture in with the japs I boil the jar for 10 min then let cool -- and yes when it cools it sucks the inner lid down and seals.
OH... Boiling Water Bath - duh.. I need more coffee :lol: yes it doesnt read right but yes thats what I do

Dill??????

Sounds like blasphemy to me.;)

Dill on nachos?

I can understand a jar or 2 for burgers, but I love pickled japs on tacos, salads, sandwiches, etc.

Can't imagine the dill every time, but I am sure they are good.

Back