• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Thought you all might enjoy the Coyote Zan White and Pear sauce I made.

I fermented for about 2 months, and then blended with fresh pears, Honey harvested from bees across the street, fresh orange juice, and white vinegar. I cooked it to kill the fermentation then bottled it up.

eM06mtQ.jpg

I0LxSSF.jpg
9QyNIHz.jpg

Even if I wanted to grow the Coyote, I had none so far, probably this year will be the first year to have it in my garden, so no idea about this side of taste. But the pear is one of my favorite, and no matter what, only the color and is enough to make me wish have one of these. Really nice color! A winner one!

rghm1u20 said:
Even if I wanted to grow the Coyote, I had none so far, probably this year will be the first year to have it in my garden, so no idea about this side of taste. But the pear is one of my favorite, and no matter what, only the color and is enough to make me wish have one of these. Really nice color! A winner one!
Yeah I love the color, it's more white in person. And the Coyotes are like little habanero fire crackers.

Also I thought it would be nice to do something different than a normal red or orange sauce.

I'm new to the hot making sauce thing and fermenting peppers. You say you cooked it to kill the ferment. A couple of questions. How much do you think it changes the flavor by cooking it? Also are you cooking the sauce before bottling or cooking it in the bottle like in canning? Any benefit to either process or just personal preference? Thanks.

Taste loses a little of that "fresh" taste, but you aren't boiling it, just a slight simmer to temp. Then I pour into the bottles, place them upside down to cool, then seal the tops the next day.

Benefit of cooking is you can make them sweeter, if you don't kill it, it will continue ferment and explode your bottles.

Also I'm no expert, just learning as I go.

Reactions: Bou
Cartierusm said:
Also just read on reddit that if the final PH is below 4.2 that will stop fermentation as well? Can anyone else confirm that. I just like to know my options.

Absolutely untrue; many Lactobacillus strains will ferment and bring your pH way lower than 4.2 if given enough sugar and time! Some even in the pH 3 range so I'd make sure to kill them all prior to bottling to avoid pepper bombs!

Hawkins said:
Taste loses a little of that "fresh" taste, but you aren't boiling it, just a slight simmer to temp. Then I pour into the bottles, place them upside down to cool, then seal the tops the next day.

Benefit of cooking is you can make them sweeter, if you don't kill it, it will continue ferment and explode your bottles.

Also I'm no expert, just learning as I go.

No expert neither but the only way to make sure that bugs and Lactobacillus are dead is by boiling them (212F). Homebrewers are usually using known strains (or mix) and therefore its easier to target the specific temp to kill them. Whit lacto fermented foods, who knows how many strains can be present on the veggies you're planning to use...

Bou said:

Absolutely untrue; many Lactobacillus strains will ferment and bring your pH way lower than 4.2 if given enough sugar and time! Some even in the pH 3 range so I'd make sure to kill them all prior to bottling to avoid pepper bombs!
I concur. I just made a roasted tomato, onion, garlic, lemon, DWV and fermented jalapeno sauce that PH'd @ 3.3 after boiling and bottling.

Reactions: Bou
Back