• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Thoughts on a specific type of blue led bulb

There's a lot of discussion on the use of led bulbs for growing, and one of the downsides that I've noted is their exorbitant cost. It seems to me that the manufacturers/sellers add the word "growlight" to a product with blue leds, and then triple the price of a similar bulb with white leds.

So, I'm looking for options, and found these bulbs. My intention is to use both T5HOs and blue leds, so these would supplement the T5HOs.

http://www.buylighting.com/LED-PAR20-Flood-Blue-25-Watt-p/nv-led-par20-b.htm

http://www.buylighting.com/LED-MR16-GU10-Blue-25-Watt-Flood-p/led-mr16gu10-b-120v.htm

They don't give you the spectrum but they look about the right colour. Might be worth giving them a pop.

White leds serve no purpose in growing.

LED growlighjts are pretty steep in cost but when you look at long term they use less power and have a longer lifespan than normal growlights

Interesting, much cheaper than others I've seen. I'd be interested in knowing what Omri thinks about these. He's a lighting guru.
I may try these myself.

Toleman said:
They don't give you the spectrum but they look about the right colour. Might be worth giving them a pop.

White leds serve no purpose in growing.

Could be, but a couple of people selling high-end LED panels have taken to adding a few white bulbs, claiming their test trials show it helps enhance growth.

Mike

I think there is an ideal ratio of leds containing Blue, red, orange and a tiny amount of uv I think.

But to keep it simple and with proven good results, red and blue work well.

Chris

From my experience plants react to most types of light. the question is how they react. the levels of photosynthetic absorption and photosynthetic activity may vary from different wavelengths of the same spectrum end. very specific wavelengths trigger certain pigments and thus create a certain hormonal activity within the plant (those wavelengths beyond the obvious energy, deliver instructions to what organic substances should the plant produce). I'd refer you to my website (chilebase.com) which explains all the little details, but my host kicked me out.

In addition, the actual LEDs have very different qualities, such as the lighting angle which directly affects the amount of light the plants get from it. it's not just about the intensity or power. there's efficiency.

In conclusion... the product has no real details. you have no idea what wavelength you're adding to the mix, how it will affect your plants, how efficient the bulb is and pretty much every other important detail. so can I really comment on good these are? no. I can tell you that one wavelength is not the way to go. I got best results with a fine spectrum made of many, many different wavelengths I picked especially for this job.

So should you buy these? if you don't mind the money and take into consideration that they will affect your plants, for better or worse... sure, why not.

Good luck with that.

Back