• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Thoughts on using fruit juice instead of fruit

I see that a lot of other people on here use fruit juice instead of fruit. I have toyed around with this idea for a while but never committed to it. 

So what are you guys thoughts on using fruit juice instead of fruit? The pros, the cons etc?

Juice is easy/fast/consistent and will yield consistent results.  When I'm using fruit in a recipe I always use fresh fruit because I'm looking for the pulp to improve the body of a sauce.  Because I'm dependent on ripe fruit (and strangely 'too ripe' or fruit almost at spoiling is best) so I don't make those sauces as often as I make non-fruit sauce recipes/ferments.

I'd recommend you try replacing fruit in an existing recipe with juice and see how you like it.  One note:  Some juices are going to have other stuff; color/hfcs/preservatives. etc so be sure to use something from the organic/natural section.   

Recently I've used orange juice instead of fresh oranges and apple/apricot sauce instead of apples and apricots in a couple of sauces and they turned out great. I wouldn't hesitate using apple juice as well. 

And I use an organic carrot juice all the time in my super hot sauces I make and it works great.

SmokenFire said:
 Because I'm dependent on ripe fruit (and strangely 'too ripe' or fruit almost at spoiling is best) so I don't make those sauces as often as I make non-fruit sauce recipes/ferments.
This is where I like my fruit as well. It seems as though when it gets to that spoiling point there is an almost orgasmic proportion of natural sugar to maximize flavor. 

Do you not get ripe fruit up in Chi all year long?

And see I'm the opposite. Everything I make is almost exclusively fruit based except for the one or two jars I make just to have because people like a pepper based sauce instead of fruit.

Maybe I should invest in a juicer? Is there kiwi juice? I make sauces that use raspberry as a main, cherry and rasp as a main, peach as a main, pineapple, kiwi as a main.

Hmmmmmmm I will try using juice in the very near future.

What would the proportions be?  1/2 the amount of juice to fruit? A 1:1 ratio?

X2 what SnF said.  Lots of makers use juices, myself included.  Consistency, ease of use, year round availability, 

Whe looking at your recipe, consider that juice is straight liquid and will not have any bulk/pulp. You may need to adjust the recipe, cook it down longer..

Fruit juices also allow one to mix and create or experiment with an almost infinite number of flavor combinations more easily without ruining a whole bunch of fresh fruit. 

Back