• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

off-topic Time Travel?

back to time travel...

as I recall...Einstein theorized the fastest speed one could attain was the speed of light....as you approach the speed of light length shortens and objects become more dense...once the speed of light is attained, everything around you is static...no movement because light is how we perceive our surroundings....he said, Imagine riding a light wave....you would be just standing there looking at a totally static environment...

I was going to make a point but got lost in the theory remembering my advanced physics courses...

oh yeah...I remember seeing some of the Bell science class film series when I was 13 years old...one of them had to do with space travel and through theory there were two twin brothers...one went into space and returned some years later...don't remember the exact amount of time he was in space....but I remember when he came back to earth, he was only a couple of years older and his brother was something like 20 years older...

point being time passes slower in space than on earth...now, is that because you are traveling at a faster rate than we perceive we are on earth?..and as we approach the speed of light, time slows....

"Pear trees blowin in the North Texas wind
Don't know where I'm goin', may not be back again...
Rustle of the leaves under that dark gray sky..
Early Sunday morning I sit and wonder why...
Time passes, things change, Life goes on..."
AmDmE

AlabamaJack said:
back to time travel...

as I recall...Einstein theorized the fastest speed one could attain was the speed of light....as you approach the speed of light length shortens and objects become more dense...once the speed of light is attained, everything around you is static...no movement because light is how we perceive our surroundings....he said, Imagine riding a light wave....you would be just standing there looking at a totally static environment...

yes if you were moving at the speed of light the light that reflects off everything and back into your eyes would be at a constant of the last image reflected.

AlabamaJack said:
oh yeah...I remember seeing some of the Bell science class film series when I was 13 years old...one of them had to do with space travel and through theory there were two twin brothers...one went into space and returned some years later...don't remember the exact amount of time he was in space....but I remember when he came back to earth, he was only a couple of years older and his brother was something like 20 years older...

this would be due to time measurement through revolution of the planet around itself & it's revolution around the sun. But yes, it's just a measurement of time & would bear no influence on the genetics of another human who was outside that sphere of measurement. They would age the same.

AlabamaJack said:
point being time passes slower in space than on earth...now, is that because you are traveling at a faster rate than we perceive we are on earth?..and as we approach the speed of light, time slows....

there have been some experiments using atomic clocks to do with this. Yes they have different times after space travel by a few microseconds. It is unclear why.

Time is 'funny'

gardenkiller said:
So now that the whiskey is definately getting the better of me, I have this need to know if I am crazy. I discussed this with IGG briefly in another thread a long time ago, but here goes for everyone. Have any of you heard the story of John Titor? If so do you believe it? If you haven't heard it, check this out http://www.johntitor.com/

The site layout kind of sucks if you ask me, but the story is incredible. I pride myself on not buying into these far out type of things but this one has had my brain tied in knots for years. If you get a minute read the story of John at the site and let me know what you think. Its almost too real to be fake.....I dunno. Ok, ok enough rambling.....check it out!

It's a grand lie. The anonymity of the 'net and love of a mystery/conspiracy that we seem to be hard wired for gave the story legs, but it's right up there with Xenu and nuclear bombs in volcanoes. There is no time traveler in our midst, we are the masters of our own fate.

I am at the mercy of mother earth Pam...I have thrown myself upon her throne and we talked one time... :lol:

gardenkiller said:
so technically, according to that theory, one can only travel back as far as the machine was invented......well......that sure takes the fun out of it now doesn't it. damned laws of time travel physics!

Well, look at it this way. When your in a car taking a road trip, your advancing forward. When you go home, you're still advancing forward, but in the opposite direction. Even if you decided to drive in reverse, the only thing going "backward" is the car.

So, doesn't it make sense that if time travel is possible, you could only go to the future? Of course, then back to your origination.

AlabamaJack said:
I am at the mercy of mother earth Pam...I have thrown myself upon her throne and we talked one time... :lol:

What'd she say? "Get the hell off my throne, and clean up that mess!"

"And stop using Miracle Grow, you great lummox!"

Pam said:
What'd she say? "Get the hell off my throne, and clean up that mess!"

"And stop using Miracle Grow, you great lummox!"

So you ARE mother earth huh... or is she your sister?... :lol:

I honestly can't believe that I am the only "sucker" to be drawn in by this. Secondly, DD, I have to disagree with you. As long as you have/are inside your time machine, there is no reason that the past is any more difficult to navigate than the future.

gardenkiller said:
I honestly can't believe that I am the only "sucker" to be drawn in by this. Secondly, DD, I have to disagree with you. As long as you have/are inside your time machine, there is no reason that the past is any more difficult to navigate than the future.

Well, no, you're not, or it would have died a long time ago. That's one of the difficulties of the Internet, sorting the wheat from the chaff. I was certainly taken in by people and sites when I first got on line. At this point I approach everything with wary skepticism, sort of a guilty until proven innocent way of net surfing.

Owning to the fact that I'm an uber-nerd, I actually had a discussion with a colliege of mine about whether time travel violates the laws of thermodynamics. The conclusion we came up with was travel backwards - yes it does and probably can't be done...but travel forward would not violate it. Yeah, we had to much time on our hands...

so what you all agree upon is that you cant travel back in time, correct ?
well then when you go forward in time you cant go back in time to the starting point, so even though we know you cant do this anyways but then you truely cant do time travel.
you can go forward in time by the means of some kind of hibernation.

chilehunter said:
so what you all agree upon is that you cant travel back in time, correct ?
well then when you go forward in time you cant go back in time to the starting point, so even though we know you cant do this anyways but then you truely cant do time travel.
you can go forward in time by the means of some kind of hibernation.

First, I still think that backward travel is possible. Second, you say that time travel is not possible. I belive people 200 years ago thought that flying wasn't possible either.....just a thought.

So I am glad we are having this discussion on time travel, but the real thing I was going for on this thread was the John Titor story and his predictions all seeming to come true. I know that Pam thinks it's a farce, but how bouts the rest of ye?

So wait, is time travel possible or not? a guy just sold me this as a time machine and I hope I wasn't wrong buying it.
tardiscb3.gif

gardenkiller said:
I know that Pam thinks it's a farce, but how bouts the rest of ye?

I think its a farce. Lots of people over the past 500 years have made their living by giving vague profecies that can be interpereted in many ways. I looked at the site, and I think the site's best feature is it can make you think about society and your life.

And don't get me started on all the time travel related paradoxes...just watch a bunch of Star Trek TNG and Voyager episodes (I'm not familiar enough with DS9, Enterprise, and TOS, but I'm sure there are some in there too) if you want to "study" more.

gardenkiller said:
First, I still think that backward travel is possible. Second, you say that time travel is not possible. I belive people 200 years ago thought that flying wasn't possible either.....just a thought.

There's a difference between being willfully blind and making an observation based on the available information. People were surrounded by birds that flew, animals that glided, and they could make kites that flew. They knew flying was possible in a variety of ways; but they rejected the notion that a man could fly without really examining the mechanics of flying that were all around them.

There is no naturally observable phenomenon that indicates time travel is possible. So, you can't really compare comments about time travel with comments about flying.

The physicist Ron Mallet has published some papers that are way over my head, but which offer a theoretical possibility of some sort of time shifting with neutrons or something. Like I said, it's way over my head, but I think his theory requires a singularity to bend light waves. I first heard him interviewed on NPR's "To the Best of Our Knowledge". He's an interesting man with a very poignant back story. Google him, you might enjoy reading about him and the theorists that disagree with him, too; if you are really interested in the scientific perspective on time travel.

so I am glad we are having this discussion on time travel, but the real thing I was going for on this thread was the John Titor story and his predictions all seeming to come true. I know that Pam thinks it's a farce, but how bouts the rest of ye?

A slight correction, I don't *think* John Titor is a farce, I *know* he is. His predictions have not come true, although he inserted a tidy "I'm from a parallel universe" to make his claims unverifiable. So, I guess we have to say that our universe is not following the same time line as his to be absolutely correct and unbiased. But...come on, the idiot couldn't even keep his own story straight, he contradicted himself. He was a fabulous Internet hoax, that's all.

Isn't Ron Mallet the same guy who put two particles (atoms, photons...something along those lines) in two different locations at the same time?

DevilDuck said:
Isn't Ron Mallet the same guy who put two particles (atoms, photons...something along those lines) in two different locations at the same time?

He may have, I don't know. I got interested more because of the poignant back story about his father that I heard in the NPR interview, skimmed the actual time travel physics, glanced at some of the rebuttals, felt overwhelmed by all that I don't know about physics; and filed it away mentally as "way cool guy who's doing interesting work". That's why I suggested googling and reading about him, 'cause even a card-carrying Grand Pooh-bah of Bovine Malarkey, a supercillious pomposo like moi is intimidated by Physics Wankery of that magnitude.

Back