• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

tim's habanero sriracha style hot sauce

I make  about 72 jars of this every fall for family and a few friends  [ my partner and I consume 1 jar a week ] , it's not overpoweing hot , but adding more habs will up the ante.  I have been making this for 4 years and have almost finished tweaking it . This year I used ''purple haze'' carrots and it was even redder than usual.

Tim's   Habanero Hot Sauce
7 lg. red bell peppers [ cleaned, rough chop]
2 big carrots ..ditto
2 lg. , onions.. ditto
4 small apples ..ditto
5 habanero peppers ..stems removed 
1 head garlic , whole cloves browned in pan 
put above in saucepan ,
 add
1 1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 1/4 cup water 
partially cover , bring to a boil and then simmer till carrots soft
use a hand blender in the pan until well blended 
add
1/2 -3/4 cup sugar 
3 1/2 -4 teaspoons of salt 
simmer for one hour 
if too thick add more 50/50 vinegar water mix

makes 10  250ml, jars 
I hot waterbath can for 20 mins 

tim storey said:
I make  about 72 jars of this every fall for family and a few friends  [ my partner and I consume 1 jar a week ] , it's not overpoweing hot , but adding more habs will up the ante.  I have been making this for 4 years and have almost finished tweaking it . This year I used ''purple haze'' carrots and it was even redder than usual.

Tim's   Habanero Hot Sauce
7 lg. red peppers [ cleaned, rough chop] I grow King Arthurs
2 big carrots ..ditto
2 lg. , onions.. ditto
4 small apples ..ditto
5 habanero peppers ..stems removed 
1 head garlic , whole cloves browned in pan 
put above in saucepan ,
 add
1 1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 1/4 cup water 
partially cover , bring to a boil and then simmer till carrots soft
use a hand blender in the pan until well blended 
add
1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar 
3 1/2 - 4 teaspoons of salt 
simmer for one hour 
if too thick add more 50/50 water and cider viegar

makes 10  250ml, jars 
I hot waterbath can for 20 mins 

Well another growing season .. King Arthurs have a replacement ''Double Up ''  I have some King A's growing along side  so we shall see how that works out .. 
my friend Frank took the above recipe and switched the apples for mangoes  and the red peppers for orange peppers and got a lovely orange , mango-ey version ..  can you make  viegar from mangoes  ? why not ? 

tim storey said:
Suffering through what is no doubt the coldest February on record , I have my hot sauce to warm up with ..
 After  a dozen bottles I can report that Maya habeneros are for sure not as hot as Carribean Red.
Next fall I will up the Maya count in the recipie. 
As I made maple syrup last year I thought  I might do a batch replacing the sugar  with syrup ..but given the subtleness of pure maple syrup [ as opposed to the jumped up artifical taste of the commercial stuff  ]  maybe next falll ..providing this cold snap ever ends and we can tap our trees .

So winter did end and I did make maple syrup .. not a great summer for the peppers [again ! ]
I replaced the sugar in the recipe with syrup ..... 2/3 of a cup  and cut back on the water/vinegar mix by 1/4 cup so not to make it too loose .
While I can't say the maple flavour comes through with boots on , I find the sweetness smoother  and as i have gallons of the stuff I will continue with it . 

Now canned 53 jars into this years harvest and made a few tweaks,
maya habeneros, grown in my new greenhouse, they were so ahead of the game I had to freeze them... 8-9 as they are milder
One cup of maple syrup to replace the sugar
Cut down the 50/50 vinegar water mix by 1/4 cup to adjust for liquid maple syrup .
Bought a crate of Super Shepard red peppers instead of king Aurther. We ate all the King A's that I grew in the green house .
Of course after the frustration of the last two cold summers we built a 8x12 greenhouse and then had the hottest summer on record...and so it goes!

Going to try a slightly modified version of your recipe as a fermented sauce.  Thanks for the original recipe.  Started it today.

Ferment #2 (Tim's)
Red Hatch Peppers 495 grams
Red Brain Strain 50 grams (6 pods)
Orange Bell Pepper 115 grams
Orange Jalapeno 105 grams
Carrots 200 grams
Onion 200 grams
Apple 350 grams
Garlic, Roasted 120 grams
Salt, Pickling 65 grams (4%)

Date Started 10/10/2016
Date Ended