• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Tips for making a fruity hot sauce?

It's been my goal for sometime now to grow my own chiles and make sauces out of them. I want to use some typical ingredients such as white vinegar, choco habs, salt, spices & herbs, garlic, onion, xanthan gum, etc. But I really want to incorporate some fruit in the mix. I'm thinking lime juice for sure, but more along the lines of peach, nectarine, or maybe even some berries :) or apple ;) .

I'm growing caribbean red habs, ghost peppers, moruga scorpions, manzano, 7 pot brainstrain red, aji lemon drop, choco fatalii, choco habs, and hot chipotle peppers. I plan on making a smokey chipotle sauce, a normal choco hab smokey sauce, and a superhot sauce. I will prob be using a caribbean red hab base with a moruga scorpion or two into the mix.. The superhot sauce will be my fruity sauce. Goes great with the heat.

Any tips? I've never made hot sauce before, but I'm super excited to do so. You guys are the pros so help me out!

:) :onfire:

Nova said:
Use canned fruit, it blends easier.

I like to use pineapple with yellows and mango with reds.

I love pineapple. Totally slipped my mind. Mango should go great as well. What do you recommend for a smokey chipotle sauce? How do you get a real smokey flavor in there?

Welcome to the Fun Bin!  Mixing things all up and having fun!

You have some great base ingredients lined up.  I'd suggest to-
start with one chile pepper
taste it raw, what is it's flavor profile? What fruit would pair with that chile? 

If you have 2 chiles that you want to use, do the same thing...taste them together, think of the fruits that will work with those chiles. 

Taste test some small batches.

Most of all...Have FUN!

take pics and post results.  We Luv pics!

salsalady said:
Welcome to the Fun Bin!  Mixing things all up and having fun!

You have some great base ingredients lined up.  I'd suggest to-
start with one chile pepper
taste it raw, what is it's flavor profile? What fruit would pair with that chile? 

If you have 2 chiles that you want to use, do the same thing...taste them together, think of the fruits that will work with those chiles. 

Taste test some small batches.

Most of all...Have FUN!

take pics and post results.  We Luv pics!

I definitely will. Thanks for supporting my bases! Didn't know if they were good or not. I'm just kind of basing the ingredients off of hot sauces I've tasted. I want my own signature recipe that makes for one unique sauce!

Sidenote. You guys know any nice fundamentals for a chili powder blend? Thanks!

obeychase said:
What do you recommend for a smokey chipotle sauce? How do you get a real smokey flavor in there?

Chipotles. They are smoked jalapenos. That is how you get the smoky flavor.

Nova said:
You can get liquid smoke, just add to taste.

Uh noooo! Why would you add liquid smoke?

One of the best hot sauces I ever had was a Habenero and Mango.  Not sure how this really helps you outside of understanding that mango's work well. Give them a try in one of you mixes.

Best of luck, Chase
Rob T

I dried some pods then put them in the smoker. They have been ground into a powder and will be added to my next batch of sauce.

Personally, I like to stay natural and avoid artificial ingredients.

Cheers........

I love pineapple,but I can promise you sweet or not I have to have carrots in there somewhere.I has a sweetness and helps thicken the sauce.Blueberries or raspberries work well also.If you can get them.

jay_fruity.png

Shorerider said:
I dried some pods then put them in the smoker. They have been ground into a powder and will be added to my next batch of sauce.

Personally, I like to stay natural and avoid artificial ingredients.

Cheers........
the same here and I've use various different fruits in the same batch of sauce that tasted great together.
mecdave said:
Do a search for roasted pineapple sauce. That's a good one. Also consider garlic, onion, and ginger in your sauces.
Yes all 3 of those are a must- onion,garlic and ginger. I also like cilantro in there as well.

Back