• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Tis' the seasoning

Hey Podners, Sethsquatch here. I am going to be making my first batch of sauce soon. I have my ingredients picked out (pretty basic) and may be frothing at the mouth a bit. I've been all over these forums the last couple months reading and researching.

Here's the list in order of quantity:
Red Habaneros
Mandarin Orange
Carrots
Onions
Tomatoes
Vinegar
Garlic
Sugar
Spices

Before I get cooking, I have some questions for the pros:

1. I am probably gonna have like 20 habs. I have no idea on how much of what to use (grams, cups, etc) so any advice based on the list would be appreciated. I want the habs to be the largest amount and obviously, spices to be the smallest.

2. What kinda vinegar should I use in this sauce. With the mandarins, should I be using an apple cider vinegar?

3. What kind of spices have you used successfully in your sauces? Cumin, Cracked Pepper, Corriander? Just curious because I am not sure what seasonings to incorporate.

4. Do you use canned mandarin oranges? Do you strain and drain or use the juice?

I really appreciate any advice you seasoned pros can give. Help me out pepper people!

Hey Podners, Sethsquatch here. I am going to be making my first batch of sauce soon. I have my ingredients picked out (pretty basic) and may be frothing at the mouth a bit. I've been all over these forums the last couple months reading and researching.

Here's the list in order of quantity:
Red Habaneros
Mandarin Orange
Carrots
Onions
Tomatoes
Vinegar
Garlic
Sugar
Spices

Before I get cooking, I have some questions for the pros:

1. I am probably gonna have like 20 habs. I have no idea on how much of what to use (grams, cups, etc) so any advice based on the list would be appreciated. I want the habs to be the largest amount and obviously, spices to be the smallest.

2. What kinda vinegar should I use in this sauce. With the mandarins, should I be using an apple cider vinegar?

3. What kind of spices have you used successfully in your sauces? Cumin, Cracked Pepper, Corriander? Just curious because I am not sure what seasonings to incorporate.

4. Do you use canned mandarin oranges? Do you strain and drain or use the juice?

I really appreciate any advice you seasoned pros can give. Help me out pepper people!

Ok with 20 habs I'm thinking something like:
20 Habs
1 small can Mandarin Oranges(oranges only reserve juice)
3 Large carrots ( for medumum thick Sauce sdjust for what you like)
1 med sweet onion
3 Roma Toms
1/4 cup Lime juice ( dont use vinegar unless you love the flavor. Lime/lemon will adjust ph and give better flavors)
3 cloves garlic
NO sugar use reserved orange juice to add sweetness but adjust after it's been cooked and blendered
Spices ? what are you using?

As above use Lime/lemon juice

It depends on what flavor profile your looking for. Usually only use Garlic but have also used Cumin, Corriander, Graham Marsala... You have it think about the flavor porfile your looking for. Ther eis no right or wrong.

I try not to use canned anything unless I have to. All natural is best, well to me.

Now the important stuff.
1. Clean and sanitize everything that is going to come into contact with the sauce. Run it all thought the dishwasher with the heated dry on and your gold.

2. Make sure your ph is below 4 to keep the nasties out.

3. Boil Blend Simmer 30 mins, blend again if you want, check ph and adjust, heat to 190 and bottle. Keep an eye on the temp though, if it falls below 185 heat it back up.

4. once bottled and, assuming your using woozies, reducer and cap is on, inverthtehbottles for 15 minutes to kill any nastiews on the cap.

Cheers,
RM

Ok with 20 habs I'm thinking something like:
20 Habs
1 small can Mandarin Oranges(oranges only reserve juice)
3 Large carrots ( for medumum thick Sauce sdjust for what you like)
1 med sweet onion
3 Roma Toms
1/4 cup Lime juice ( dont use vinegar unless you love the flavor. Lime/lemon will adjust ph and give better flavors)
3 cloves garlic
NO sugar use reserved orange juice to add sweetness but adjust after it's been cooked and blendered
Spices ? what are you using?

RocketMan hit the nail on the head with this one. If you are unsure as to what 'spices' you would like, just keep this one simple with what you have. You already have great fruity undertones (habs, Mandarin, lime) and you'll have plenty of sweet from the carrots which you can adjust like RocketMan said with the leftover juice.

After you blend it the first time, take some out in a bowl and test it. Adjust the sweet/salt level to taste. A lot of people don't care for the vinegar taste, but I added a tablespoon to my last smaller batch and it really made some of the flavors jump out on my tongue. Just plain white vinegar, but that is totally up to you.

+1 for RocketMan's near quote of the correct FDA process for bottling!! GOOD LUCK! and post up a pic when its done!

Thanks so much Rocketman! I'll let you know how it turns out. Going over to Justaguy's house Friday to help/learn saucemaking as well. Between you two, I might just have a shot at this. I'm in freaking love with peppers. Gotta chase the burn brother. Thanks again.

After you blend it the first time, take some out in a bowl and test it. Adjust the sweet/salt level to taste. A lot of people don't care for the vinegar taste, but I added a tablespoon to my last smaller batch and it really made some of the flavors jump out on my tongue. Just plain white vinegar, but that is totally up to you.

Good tip man. Thanks!

Have to agree with Justaguy great looking sauce. Look to be thick enough that a reducer would be a waste of time and i love a thick sauce. The color though is AWSOME! Way to go!

Thanks guys! I love the thick sauce too. It actually turned out good (in no small part because of the tutoring of Justaguy and the recipe refinement of Rocketman). I have decided to dub it Chunk. My PH was around 4. I need an official reading. I am storing it in the fridge for safety. Also, I water bathed the bottles after bottling at 195, just to be extra safe.

Back