• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

To deseed or not, that is the question.

I'm going to put another batch of Ghosts through my dehydrator. This time I'm wondering if I should deseed them or not? My intention is to make them into powder. What are the pro's / cons?

it'll take longer , will have seeds in your powder , if done at around 85 degrees seeds will stay viable , but then you still have to sift them out . i much rather deseed first .     :onfire:

Open a small hole on the pepper. Let's say just cut the green cap at the top. Put the rest in the dehidrator if you don't care about seeds. 
Blend it in coffee blender and then you will have extra spicy powder.. removing the seeds will take off the heat from the powder. (but remove them if you don't want strong and spicy powder).

Opening the pepper, cutting the green head will speed up the process, and you can cut them in half if you want to speed it up more.

It will really come down to your convenience. How big is your batch? If a small one, go ahead and deseed first. For large batches, though, I find it easier to deseed after they're already dry. I dry at 90F to keep the seeds viable. 

To correct what pixelatem said, the heat of chiles comes from the placenta, not the seeds. So removing seeds only does not detract from the heat of a pod or your powder. This is a common misconception - the seeds only seem to be hot because of their proximity to the placenta. 

geeme said:
It will really come down to your convenience. How big is your batch? If a small one, go ahead and deseed first. For large batches, though, I find it easier to deseed after they're already dry. I dry at 90F to keep the seeds viable. 

To correct what pixelatem said, the heat of chiles comes from the placenta, not the seeds. So removing seeds only does not detract from the heat of a pod or your powder. This is a common misconception - the seeds only seem to be hot because of their proximity to the placenta.
Thanks for the info!

Back