• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

To Dome or not to dome?

I'm seeing several suggestions to remove plastic domes for sprouted seeds. About 90% of my seeds have already sprouted very well and I have been keeping them in the high dome under the lights. Is there a reason I might be missing with peppers as to NOT use the Dome.

Once sprouted the dome is usless. it only will create damping off, which is a fungus that kills young seedlings. So i'd take out the sprouted ones and put them under the lights and leave the non sprouted under the dome untill they do so.

chillilover said:
Once sprouted the dome is usless. it only will create damping off, which is a fungus that kills young seedlings. So i'd take out the sprouted ones and put them under the lights and leave the non sprouted under the dome untill they do so.

Yep, that's how I'm doing it.

I agree with the above, but would like to add that I cover the empty cells with saran wrap to hold in moisture until they sprout or I give up on them.

jacob

When I try and leave the dome off the top of my seedling try for an extended period of time, the leafs start to curl, from the tips, inward. It's never been the case before, so I don't know what's up. :/

Pita said:
When I try and leave the dome off the top of my seedling try for an extended period of time, the leafs start to curl, from the tips, inward. It's never been the case before, so I don't know what's up. :/

Might not be enough humidity in the house. I am having that problem too.

Could also be a shock going from high humidity to low humidity. Did you leave the dome on for a few days then remove it, or is it new seedlings never under the dome?

jacob

jjs7741 said:
Could also be a shock going from high humidity to low humidity. Did you leave the dome on for a few days then remove it, or is it new seedlings never under the dome?

jacob

A few of them are on their 3rd set already. It is probablly the shock from high-to-low humidity. The humidity level is extremely low here.

Sounds like possible shock, or your cells are drying out a lot faster and your seedlings are not use to the dryer conditions. I don't use plastic or any type of covering for sprouting my seeds. I just make sure they are watered and let them grow. Never had a problem with any of them sprouting, or growing because of a lack of not being covered. Makes you wonder how chiles ever sprouted and grew prior to the invention of plastic and plastic domes. Lol

Back