• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

To seed or not to seed? That is the question

I made a jolokia sauce. To save from posting the whole recipe, it is supposed to be a sweet but hot sauce. Made with peaches, brown sugar and Apple Juice (which I used to substitute pear cinnamon cider.)I used about 30 Naga Jolokia and yielded 30 oz. of sauce so about 1 pepper per ounce.

The recipe said that if I wanted to actually use the sauce to remove the seeds. I did so (and reserved some hopefully to grow next spring). The sauce ended up quite warm but I am one that likes to know where I can go with something.

I am thinking of making the same sauce with 1/2 the Jolokia's and one with the same 30 peppers but leaving the seeds in this time.

This would let me have one that would be more sweet and one that is uber hot!

I am curious what your thoughts would be on the effect of leaving the seeds... would it be un-usable or just exponentially hotter?

Hmm, sounds great! I used two romas in mine, figured less sugar. I see what your saying about the gum though. Used it a couple times for sauces in the past. What about bottling sauces, can you still put the butter in it? I thought it was against regulations. Something about not able to bottle dairy?
Thanks heirloomchef:)
Aaron

Hmm, sounds great! I used two romas in mine, figured less sugar. I see what your saying about the gum though. Used it a couple times for sauces in the past. What about bottling sauces, can you still put the butter in it? I thought it was against regulations. Something about not able to bottle dairy?
Thanks heirloomchef:)
Aaron

If you're bottling it I believe you have to use something shelf stable like margarine or coconut oil. Allthough clarified butter like ghee has been used as a way to have shelf stable butter for centuries, you would likely have trouble getting that approved as logic and evidence does not usually trump regulations. :)

If you're interested in bottling it you should consult a process authority in your state about working with them to get a recipe approved.

Hey Aaron,
your sauce base sounds more like a hot sauce base than a wing sauce base. One wing sauce I have in the fridge contains cayennes, vinegars, spices, cream and pepper extract. Another one contains naga jolokias, habanero and cayenne, butter, vinegar, spices, salt pepper.

I'm not a food scientist or anything, but it seems to me that roasting garlic and onions etc, seems to bring out more of the natural sugar flavors. I don't know if roasting actually does convert some of the starches to sugars, which would counteract the chile heat.

Maybe research a different style base and keep the roasted veggie sauce as a specialty sauce, I could see it on burgers and chicken.
SL

If you're bottling it I believe you have to use something shelf stable like margarine or coconut oil. Allthough clarified butter like ghee has been used as a way to have shelf stable butter for centuries, you would likely have trouble getting that approved as logic and evidence does not usually trump regulations. :)

If you're interested in bottling it you should consult a process authority in your state about working with them to get a recipe approved.

I wasn't looking for bottling it myself, but the owner has this ideal about another venture for business. He thinks he can get a couple sauces done up and selling them. I explained how much work and money it would take to do, then told him its something that takes a lot of patience and time. He still wants to look into it. I just wanted to do it for fun and take it up as hobbie of mine. But if theres money to be made at least it would pay for itself I guess.

Hey Aaron,
your sauce base sounds more like a hot sauce base than a wing sauce base. One wing sauce I have in the fridge contains cayennes, vinegars, spices, cream and pepper extract. Another one contains naga jolokias, habanero and cayenne, butter, vinegar, spices, salt pepper.

I'm not a food scientist or anything, but it seems to me that roasting garlic and onions etc, seems to bring out more of the natural sugar flavors. I don't know if roasting actually does convert some of the starches to sugars, which would counteract the chile heat.

Maybe research a different style base and keep the roasted veggie sauce as a specialty sauce, I could see it on burgers and chicken.
SL

You could be right SL, i notice the bell being sweeter after roasting. Its actually the reason for roasting it. As far as a wing sauce vs a hot sauce that could be true, however I am worried about the vinegar over taking the sauce. Its the reason for the extra ingredients. Again I am way to knew to challenge this though. So maybe you could inform me more. Its sounds to me that if you want a wing sauce you chop your peppers, add some vinegar, season it according to what flavor you want, simmer then add butter and gum. I know that this seems easy but just giving a short possible answer. But if you want a hot sauce for dinners and such you need a base such as mine. Is this what you mean?
Again just trying to better understand, there is obviously more to it than what is written and in no way am I trying to sound rude or talk down to anyone. Just going for short description.

On the flip side, I have gotten a lot of compliments for this sauce as is. One man even said "Now this is a mans sauce" as he put it on some chicken he just baked off. :cool:
Thanks SL
Aaron

:rofl: Scovie, you crack me up! I MIGHT let you have that bbq sauce, but it's cost ya! (no idea what, but I'll think of something~~~ :hell: )

Anyway, I just came back in here to suggest to Aaron to make a traditional-style wing sauce (lots of recipes online like the Buffalo Wings sauce), mix up the Franks's red hot and all the rest of the ingredients except the butter. Add in what you want for superhot chiles, cook it, blend it, etc and then at the very end, add the butter to the sauce.

There you go! A SUPER-hot wing sauce.

Edit after reading ^^^-
Yes about the differences of the sauces. Most wing sauces are more vinegar based. There are some wing sauces in the supermarkets, we have some Stubb's brand over here. Take a peek at the ingredients if you see one.

I think any contestants in a wing challenge would be expecting a wing sauce, not a hot sauce. Your roasted sauce is good! Don't get me wrong. And it would taste good on chicken. But it's not what I'd think of as a wing challenge sauce.

I see what your saying, and defintley right on that. Looking around at what is here already its all vinegar based, Franks, tobasco, etc. I will adjust accordingly, thanks SL!
Aaron
P.S. Taking this sauce home with me :lol:

Back