• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Today's Project - Smoked Pork Butt

Been on a smoking binge the last couple of days. Today's project is pulled pork sandwiches. Also threw a load of Congo Blacks (got them from AJ) that I'll eventually turn into BBQ sauce. Will smoke the pork for about 6 hours and then if needed move to the grill to finish.

Just about read to add the wood:
P1020528.jpg

Starting the smoke:
P1020529.jpg

Mmmmm...Pulled Pork sandwiches....One of my favorites.

Let us know how everything works out for ya Buddy. :cool:

dvg

moved it to the grill after about 5 hours in the smoker. still using some hickory wood with the charcoal. made some amped up mop sauce - cider vinegar, sea salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, and homemade naga flakes. mopping the pork butt every 1/2 hour. i'm getting hungry!

P1020533.jpg

come on over - the Good Lord knows that we're going to have more than we can handle. i saw that you are planning to sell seeds this year - count me in. always will support a fellow illinoisian. just hope that you're a bears and illini fan!

sounds great - i smoked a load of chocolate congos (courtesy of Alabama Jack) with the pork butt. haven't decided whether to grind them into flakes or make some bbq sauce from them.

finally ready to take off of the grill (188F internal temperature). have hit it with the mop sauce every 30 minutes.

P1020535.jpg

in a pan with the extra mop sauce (notice the naga/7pots) resting prior to pulling apart. finally close to making a sandwich :)

P1020538.jpg

okay - here's the end product.

pulled pork in the pan:

P1020539.jpg

finished and ready to eat :)

P1020542.jpg

it was really, really, good!

Buddy why did you decide to finish it on the grill rather than just smoke it to full temp? Pics look great!

was starting to take too long in the smoker. after 5+ hours i needed to kick it up a notch. it was snowing outside and smoker stayed fairly cool - it was great for the chocolate congos that i smoked. finished on the grill - used indirect heat and still used some hickory - but took the temperature from approximately 200 to over 300. still took a couple of hours on the grill. bottom line - i was getting hungry :) . finished it at just over 185 degrees internal temperature. then let it rest for about 30 minutes before pulling. it was pretty darn good.

Back