• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Tolemans 2009/ 2010 Season

Toleman said:
Added 2 cfl's to the box today. Now have 76w in my 2'x1' area. So thats 38w per square foot.

Temps are rising though
DSCF1841.jpg

Keep in mind that I'm a complete newbie, but is there any value to having the 2 CFLs where they're at with the other fixture between them?

Hi YL - nice to see you here. How did you get on with the toms?

Hi Nova head.

The two cfls are higher than the fluorescent fitting (shop light) due to how hot they get. In the picture the shop light has swung over towards the back as the lid of my box when closed holds it central. The shop light is only 36w total and I added the 2 20w cfls to push that up to 76w. They are where they are as I couldn't see a better way to fix them but so they can be adjusted. If you look at the tubes they are spreading 18w across the whole length and are nowhere near as bright as the confined 20w lights.

Remember, this is all in a small confined space.

5 more days:

DSCF1842.jpg

DSCF1843.jpg

The ones not potted up are: Brain strain, Orange Hab, Rocoto Orange and another I have forgotten :rolleyes:

Chris

ABurningMouth said:
Very good. Most people use a very dense material to grow in. They don't even care that the roots can't breathe. That's why their plants are all yellow and sickly slow growing.

Your prob refering to me:)
I need to get a wheel barrel soo i can mix in some chunks:)

ToleMan cant wait to see how these puppies grow up for ya!

The mustard habs still don't look happy, dispite being bottom watered and completely dried out between waterings. The picture is a little close up but the one on the right dropped its two bottom true leaves this morning. They are also quite light green and have patches of dark speckles.

DSCF1858.jpg

Edit
DSCF1860.jpg

Just because the soil can absorb/hold a lot of water, doesn't mean it should.
Bottom watering can be overdone.
Letting them dry out between waterings is overrated.
Less water more often would be better.

Iv'e just removed the two biggest from their pots and they have good root balls so im figuring they are a bit root bound. They are now potted up so hopefully there should be some improvement soon

Chris

Pepper Grower said:
Toleman- are you going to transplant these seedlings directly into the ground in the summer?

Nope, we don't have the wather for them to go outside propperly and my greenhouse is on decking. I'm going to be using 10 litre final pots.

Chris

The mustard habs are dropping yellow leaves now. some new leaves look like they are coming through though. Optimistic ;)

Back