• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Tomatillo habanero mint salsa

Hey guys,

Here is the salsa I've been making that takes up a fair amount of my habanero crop.  The Whole Foods by me has fresh hydroponic mint, which is pretty crucial.  Anyway, here are the ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs tomatillos (roasted at 400 F until browned, make sure to add as much of the juice that comes out of them as possible)
3 habaneros, seeds and all (no stems)
1/2 medium yellow onion, raw
3 tbsp lime juice (or more)
1/4 cup water (more or less based on consistency)
1 tsp salt
1/2 bunch cilantro leaves
~12 leaves fresh mint
2 cloves garlic, raw

I highly recommend it.  I've noticed that tomatillo salsas like this one start out about twice as hot as they become after a day or so in the refrigerator.  I actually like it better if I dice up the onion very fine and add it after everything is already is pureed.  That gives it a bit more character in the texture department.

ya, what type of mint did you use? i am just processing my mint for the dehydrator, spearmint and english mint. i find english mint gives an overall better flavour for meats and sauces.

They don't say what kind of mint it is at Whole Foods, but I suspect it is spearmint.  It tastes pretty much the same as the spearmint from my garden.  It isn't super minty, but I find that the mint and spice play off each other pretty well.

Back