• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomatillos

So here is a shot of four of the six Tomatillos I have started

bc2596c6.jpg

They have started to yellow a bit and I'm not sure why. But I have started to harden them off outside. I've read that they like their soil a bit more moist than peppers, which these have been on the same cycle of watering that I do for my pepper plants so they might have been too dry for their liking. I will be watering them a bit more frequently to see if that helps them out.

Nice, i tried growing tomatillos 2 years ago. They got huge, but when these slimy slug creatures attacked it in my raised bed, i threw them out. Didn't want them infecting my other plants. I hear you need at least two to get any fruit.

sweet. I wanna try growin those. i would keep them away from the peppers if they need to stay wet might bring in some pests

Nice, i tried growing tomatillos 2 years ago. They got huge, but when these slimy slug creatures attacked it in my raised bed, i threw them out. Didn't want them infecting my other plants. I hear you need at least two to get any fruit.

Yeah each pot ( 3 ) has two plants in it so a total of six :) So I should have plenty of tomoatillos when the time comes.

I planted a lot of tomatillos last season, so many were destroyed by slugs. I started making nightly patrols at around 11 and I would cut every slug i saw in half. Once the plants got a little bigger i didn't have to worry so much about the slugs. I just started my tomatillos for this season both green and purple.

I've always just grown them in the same exact conditions I grow tomatoes and peppers. Never had a problem. Usually they reseed so readily that you won't have to start seedlings next year if you like them. Just let a few fall to the ground and then move them in the spring when they come up. They get huge and I've never had any pest problems with them. I treat them just like maters and peppers.

Only problem I've ever ran into, is when planted out too late, they can take awhile to mature and I don't get very many ripe ones before frost.

k

I've always just grown them in the same exact conditions I grow tomatoes and peppers. Never had a problem. Usually they reseed so readily that you won't have to start seedlings next year if you like them. Just let a few fall to the ground and then move them in the spring when they come up. They get huge and I've never had any pest problems with them. I treat them just like maters and peppers.

Only problem I've ever ran into, is when planted out too late, they can take awhile to mature and I don't get very many ripe ones before frost.

k
Mine seem to be doing better since I have moved them outside. But as far as the pest problems, the first night that I had them outside something already gotten to them.

31f8de7e.jpg

I looked over the whole plant as well all the surrounding plants but I couldn't find a thing. Here, where I live I have had problems with the Horned Tomato Worms eating at some of my outside plants before, but this damage doesn't appear to be the same. Not sure what it was but it hasn't happend since the first night. We'll see how they come along, I might just be worrying too much about them and should just let them do their thing.

I just transplanted my tomatillos last evening since they seemed like they were ready for it.

ddfd3e2c.jpg

Each one has roots similar to the one pictured, and they are just around a month old.

Here is how they look after the transplant. Standing up nice and straight even with the good amount of wind I had yesterday.

dca1370e.jpg

*blush* my tomatillios are still tiny and spindly
one of these days I'll get grow lights and heat mats
this is my 1st year of seaiously growing things from seed
so I guess I still need to kill lots of perfectly healty plants to learn how to keep some alive

any advice on how to make my babes grow this sturdy-stocky?

a tomatillo is a member of the physialis family
guess you could describe them as spicy tomato
seeded purple and yellow this year
and have a couple of last years overwintered physialis peruvanis, andeeberries, already outside

any advice on how to make my babes grow this sturdy-stocky?
These plants have been outside of a bit and get a fair amount of wind so they have really beefed up on the stem. If you are starting them inside, get a small fan, preferably oscillating, and let them get some push from the wind of the fan, they will sturdy up in no time. This is good practice anyway for indoor plants because when it comes time to harden them off outside they will have a better chance of acclimating to outside.

I remember someone telling me that tomatillos are highly self-incompatible and you need several plants to ensure decent fruit set. Haven't tried growing them before, never really ran into them much growing up in New York. They're nice looking plants, and the fruit are certainly novel...

I remember someone telling me that tomatillos are highly self-incompatible and you need several plants to ensure decent fruit set. Haven't tried growing them before, never really ran into them much growing up in New York. They're nice looking plants, and the fruit are certainly novel...
Yeah I read the same thing, and because of this I have two plants per pot and all pots will be kept together to help with pollination. They are already starting to bud. Super excited to have my own tomatillos, most of my salsas now will be from my own plants :)

So my tomatillos are starting to flower. Grabbed a pic of one that was open still by the time I had gotten home.

1d2dc72d.jpg

I had about 7 or 8 tomatillo plants last year, I love them. They're extremely easy to grow and are great for sauces.

1190088926_photobucket_56081_.jpg

My purple tomatillos last year (from Tradewinds fruit) never really turned purple, they just got a few purple streaks on them. I'm using two different sources for purple tomatillo seeds this year (Tomato growers and Burpee) so hopefully I'll get ones that actually turn purple.

BTW, did anyone hear Bobby Flay on TV a few weeks ago say that tomatillos are not closely related to tomatoes and are members of the gooseberry family? Apparently Bobby Flay doesn't know the difference between a gooseberry and a cape gooseberry, because gooseberries are about as closely related to tomatillos as bananas are to apples. It's mind boggling that no one at Food Network bothered to correct this misinformation. Someone there has to know what a gooseberry is?

I'm growing some purple tomatillos this year too. I put them outside and they IMMEDIATELY get gobbled by some critter. I had them on top of a plastic filing cabinet in the driveway about 4.5 feet off the ground with a bunch of tomatos, and whatever creatures got them honed in on the tomatillos like a missile. I put them in the window for a few days and now they are CRAZY leggy, one of them cant even stand on its own now. :(

So..word to the wise...get them adequate light or they will streeeeeeeeeetttttttttchhhhhhh on you.

Back