Tomato Tone and Kelp - I Feel Like a Mad Scientist

I just placed an order for Tomato Tone and Dr. Earth Kelp. The two together seem pretty well rounded and, as stated in another tread, I can't use the stinky stuff I really want to use.  I also grow other things such as broccoli, perlila, beans, cabbage (soon to be harvested) etc etc. I think this combo will work for my other plants as well. 

Anyone know if what I bought is poisoned or made with the tears of newborn babies or something horrible like that? 

Koreansoul said:
My cabbage does not smell....what type of cabbage have you grown? lol 

Cook it and tell me it doesn't permeate the kitchen  Open the door and HOA will beat a path to your door... :lol: .  Raw, there's no smell.   I loves it meself. :cheers:

I've never grown it and nor do I like it, but where I use to live in Wisconsin it was a very common crop for farmers.  If you drove within a mile of a cabbage field you'd def know it.  Smelt like wet towels that have been sitting in the basement for a month,  musty and moldy!

Tomato tone is great, but does have a smell to it as well. Haven't tried the kelp meal, but liquid kelp doesn't smell from what I've noticed. My plants love both.

I used TomatoTone in the past and still have 1/3 of a 20 pound bag left.  It did ok, I guess.  The only reason I decided to switch is I decided to use liquid fertilizers this year for pots.  I may still use some of the leftover TomatoTone I have later in the year.  I use Maxicrop Seaweed, though.  I don't know what's working or not working with whatever I'm working with, but whatever's working, it seems to work and that works for me (and that's my scientific analysis).

I was thinking of posting a kimchi recipe here for people lol. 

Flame - Did you just not like it? I didn't buy a lot because I just want to try it out. Thoughts? :) 

Koreansoul said:
I was thinking of posting a kimchi recipe here for people lol. 

Flame - Did you just not like it? I didn't buy a lot because I just want to try it out. Thoughts? :)
I can't really complain about it. I got pretty big scorpion plants (but as usual, they produced fruit too late for me, but that could just be me and the Texas weather -- I'm no expert at this).  I just often wonder if pretty much anything with some N, P, K, etc. will be enough for pepper plants.  My parents grow peppers in Houston and they use plain ol' dirt and fertilize every now and then with Miracle Gro and end up with a ton of peppers, tomatoes, etc.  Tomato growers love the TomatoTone from what I researched before buying it, though.

As for why I switched, I just like the liquid fertilizers better because they're easier for me to mix and pour and get to the roots.  A bottle of the liquid fertilizer where I only use a few mL's each feeding is also easier for me to store than a 10 or 20 pound bag.  That, and I just like experimenting with new stuff. :)

There's nothing wrong with it that I saw, though, so no need to worry.  If I ever decide to go back to a "solid"/granular fertilizer it would be TomatoTone.  And like I said, I still have some left, so I may end up using it this season.

Just remember that organic fertilizers like Tomato Tone don't show immediate results and as it comes in the bag it is not ready to be utilized by the plant.
The soil bacteria needs to break it down and make it available in a form the plant can uptake and that takes some time. ;)

Proud Marine Dad said:
Just remember that organic fertilizers like Tomato Tone don't show immediate results and as it comes in the bag it is not ready to be utilized by the plant.
The soil bacteria needs to break it down and make it available in a form the plant can uptake and that takes some time. ;)

As soon as a week for some of it.

I use Tomato Tone as a base dressing in my garden in spring along with Jersey Greensand and Azomite. I think the smell comes from the feather meal in it, which has chicken doings on them, but when I've spaded it in it doesn't have any smell. After I've planted, I use dilute liquid nutes every other week. Fish emulsion and Molasses until the plants flower, then Mor Bloom and molasses after that. If I dilute the fish emulsion and "water it in" in small amounts around the plants, I've never had complaints about the smell.

I'm down with some kimchi too. :)  Mak Kimchi in fall, but I have Korean green-shouldered radishes coming up now, and when I thin the rows I'll make Yeolmu Mulkimchi for making Naengmyeon during the hot months. Cheers!

Thanks to InTheGarden(aka Ganga Girl) Tomato Tone and Kelp are becoming my amendment workhorses. 

Using this amendment blend at ~2 cups per cuft
lgMfUcml.jpg

I put this tomato in a SIP bucket a month ago 
fI8fMYEl.jpg

in a soil-less blend of 
jRrcZ99l.jpg

The Seabird Guano has 4% soluble nitrogen and the environment is a little shady, hence the legginess perhaps,  but it is setting fruit at least. 

P.S.  There's maybe a cup each of dolomite and rock dust in a 7.5 gal of mix

JJJessee said:
Thanks to InTheGarden(aka Ganga Girl) Tomato Tone and Kelp are becoming my amendment workhorses. 

Using this amendment blend at ~2 cups per cuft
lgMfUcml.jpg

I put this tomato in a SIP bucket a month ago 
fI8fMYEl.jpg

in a soil-less blend of 
jRrcZ99l.jpg

The Seabird Guano has 4% soluble nitrogen and the environment is a little shady, hence the legginess perhaps,  but it is setting fruit at least. 

P.S.  There's maybe a cup each of dolomite and rock dust in a 7.5 gal of mix

A question for you JJ - Why do you use the different tones? Are you making your own soil with no nutrients in it? I'm of the mind that my garden soil has nutrients and I don't want to over do it and have some kind of mutant plants (last year I watched a cucumber grab a trellis right in front of my eyes - it was unnatural).  

Back