• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomatoes.......................perhaps?

If a plant is bush type it is engineered to do just that correct? No sense in pruning off future fruit? *shrug*
99.9% of "Bush, Patio, or Container" labeled plants are determinate type tomato plants. Those type of plants are developed to either stay somewhat small or in most cases to produce all fruit at once. In doing so companies such as "Heinz" or other paste and sauce producers can have an abundance all at once. It also helps the home canner who jars salsa's and other products to have what they need on hand.If someone were to prune the suckers off a determinate type plant they would actually be losing the branches which produce the fruit. Although its claimed that the determinate varieties throwout all their fruit at once, that's not always the case. Usually there is a second wave of flowers, not as many but if you fertilize the plants midstream you should be fortunate to get some fruit later in the season. I plant a combination of paste and plum type of tomatoes. Both determinate (bush) and indeterminate (vine). In doing so I'm able to have a consistant flow of plum and pear type tomatoes all season.

And I still haven't planted any yet........I'm behind in my progress

"No Time"............The Guess Who

Greg

I just read an article on not pruning determinate types. Now I have to go through my list and determine which are determinate and which ones aren't!

But hey, at least I got my 48 varieties in the hydro garden.

Have you ever been called a perfectionist? Everything you do is neat, and clean and propper.
Looks good man!
I love the smell of tomato plants. Mmmmmmmm

I just read an article on not pruning determinate types. Now I have to go through my list and determine which are determinate and which ones aren't!

But hey, at least I got my 48 varieties in the hydro garden.

I prune my indeterminate varieties to 2 main branches, and cut off all the suckers. In doing so the plant will produce its energy into the flowering and fruit production, rather than extra leafage. I know people that don't prune in the warmer climates, the additional branching on the plants helps shield the tomatoes from sun scald.
When in doubt with determining which are the ind's and the Det's , take a look at the growth pattern. The "Ind" plants will vine upwards with straight branches, and will have side shoots or suckers at every branch node.
The "Det" plants generally produce a more stocky growth pattern with the main stem "snaking" upwards with inconsistant side branching

Yea buddy. I love San Marzano's too. Thats weird you noticed that too. Mine germ in CaMg+ 0-0-0 and water of course. Mostly all my plants get that every watering/feeding. I was just down in the city yesterday and went to the Shedd and Spacca Napoli.. Awesome pizza. Their even certified from Naples, and I guess only a handful of restaurant have that stamp. Awesome food.

Have you ever been called a perfectionist? Everything you do is neat, and clean and propper.
Looks good man!
I love the smell of tomato plants. Mmmmmmmm

yea, ...........I've heard that word before ,..............If I weren't so doggone lazy I might just believe that....................... :rolleyes:

Bingo, .......the early morning dew on a bunch of tomato plants has a special scent.............there's nothin like first pick juicy morning tomato.

I've been growing the "spoon" and "currant" tomatoes the last few yrs. They're pea size, or just picture a cluster of "champagne grapes".

On ocassion, not often enough I've filled a rock glass with "Ketel One or Absolute" and floated some of those pea size tomatoes on top.

Its a nice treat at the bottom of the glass...Mmmmmmmm

quote name='Jamison' timestamp='1336965715' post='618749']
Yea buddy. I love San Marzano's too. Thats weird you noticed that too. Mine germ in CaMg+ 0-0-0 and water of course. Mostly all my plants get that every watering/feeding. I was just down in the city yesterday and went to the Shedd and Spacca Napoli.. Awesome pizza. Their even certified from Naples, and I guess only a handful of restaurant have that stamp. Awesome food.
quote]

Nice,
The Shedds pretty cool. There's a fish in a tank thats something like 37 yrs old. Ha , it looked sad and old with gray whiskers.

I haven 't eaten at Spacco before, but with the "Napoli" in the title I'd bet it has a wood fired brick oven.

I've grown all kinds of Italian tomatoes but the "Marzanos" have the best raw or cooked flavor out of all of them.

My daughter did a college semester in Italy and she noticed alot of sun dryed "Tomato Ristas" hangin from the balconies...

You bet it was. Lucky girl, she probably loved it over there! Lots of Italians in both our areas, which equals good food! If your ever in Kenosha for whatever reason you should go to Tenuta's Deli. Its like walking into little Italy. Everything is amazing!

Back