• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomatoes

Well, I couldn't help myself and just went ahead and ordered a big ol' bunch of tomato seeds. :D

What is wrong with me!? Why can't I stop!? I don't have room for any more plants... of any kind!! :crazy:

Got me some Brandywine, Green Zebra, Marianna's Peace, Mr Stripey, Purple Calabash, Taxi, Tomatillo, and Bush Tomato. Random picks more than anything I guess... Well, that and they did all sound like rather interesting varieties.

Gasi,

Why? Aren't you all on the last half of your growing season? Or where you are at, can you grow for like 10 months? I'll be ordering seeds in the next month or so, but my season is May-October.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Gasi,

Why? Aren't you all on the last half of your growing season? Or where you are at, can you grow for like 10 months? I'll be ordering seeds in the next month or so, but my season is May-October.

Mike
Good question! I may be stretching it very thinly!

If all goes well, our growing season should last until May/June here. :pray:

As I already have to build some big-ass protection cages *very* soon (don't ask... bloody possums), I figure I may as well convert them into hot houses come the end of the season... hopefully buying me some extra growing time.

All said and done, the *real* answer to your question is, because I am crazy... nuts... a lunatic! :crazy:

EDIT:

I also hope the seeds to remain viable until next season... cut some costs and get a head-start.

I know the feeling about ordering more and more seeds. Each year I have to dig up more of my yard to try and fit in more plants. Before I know it I won't have any more lawn.

Tomato seeds usually stay viable for 7 years. Last year I germinated some that were 6 years old. Brandywine is my favorite tomato for taste, but not too productive. The Marianna's Peace is also a good tomato, quite productive for me with very good taste. Haven't tried the others.

Hope you have a great season!
jacob

I was looking at Green Zebras the other day at Bunnings, I might have to get myself some of them.

Currently I'm growing Tommy Toes, Burke's Backyard Italians, San Marzanoes, Sweet Grape, Floriana 'Health Kick' hybrids and some other unknown strain.

edit: I also lack the room to grow anymore plants.

jjs7741 said:
I know the feeling about ordering more and more seeds. Each year I have to dig up more of my yard to try and fit in more plants. Before I know it I won't have any more lawn.

Tomato seeds usually stay viable for 7 years. Last year I germinated some that were 6 years old. Brandywine is my favorite tomato for taste, but not too productive. The Marianna's Peace is also a good tomato, quite productive for me with very good taste. Haven't tried the others.

Hope you have a great season!
jacob

Seven years? That's awesome! And in that case, I won't go sowing all the seed this year - I will only sow one or two seeds of each variety. If they pop up, well, they pop up and I find room for them - If not, no biggie, I'll just have to wait until next year.

As do I wish you a great season!

LordViykor said:
I was looking at Green Zebras the other day at Bunnings, I might have to get myself some of them.

Currently I'm growing Tommy Toes, Burke's Backyard Italians, San Marzanoes, Sweet Grape, Floriana 'Health Kick' hybrids and some other unknown strain.

edit: I also lack the room to grow anymore plants.

Out of all the tomatoes I chose, the Green Zebras probably have me the most intrigued. Can't wait to produce one! And they sell them at Bunnings? Well I'll be...

I actually scored a dozen or so free packs of the Burke's Backyard Italians a few years back... Would you believe, I never got around to sowing them? Are they any good?

gasificada said:
Out of all the tomatoes I chose, the Green Zebras probably have me the most intrigued. Can't wait to produce one! And they sell them at Bunnings? Well I'll be...

I actually scored a dozen or so free packs of the Burke's Backyard Italians a few years back... Would you believe, I never got around to sowing them? Are they any good?

I was surprised to see them at Bunnings As for the Burke's Backyard Italians, they're my preferred variety for growing every year.

LordViykor said:
I was surprised to see them at Bunnings As for the Burke's Backyard Italians, they're my preferred variety for growing every year.
Yeah, that's Bunnings for you... they always have something you didn't expect to find there, but never have what you initially went there for. Not once in my lifetime do I recall actually finding what I set out for, but always end up coming home with something interesting anyway. hahahha

Might have to give the Burkey's a go some time. Now, if I could only recall where I stashed the hundred packs I had....

LordViykor said:
They had no Green Zebras at the Bunnings I was at today, I got some more 'Health Kicks' and some 'Tomato Berries'.

Haha Like I said, they never have what you go there for! I could spot you some seeds if you want? Hopefully I will get them in the mail by Tuesday.

gasificada said:
Haha Like I said, they never have what you go there for! I could spot you some seeds if you want? Hopefully I will get them in the mail by Tuesday.

Thanks for the offer, I did manage to grab one plant today from another Bunnings. Also got a Black Russian, a Lemon Drop and a couple of big birdseye chilli plants.

Black Russians are nice Lord, i haven't had much luck but the fruit i have had has been very tasty and sweet.

Are Black Russians the same as Purple Russians? I dunno... I just assumed they were. But the guy I bought them from corrected me when I went back and asked for more "Black Russians". Doesn't really matter I guess, the "Purple Russians" I had tasted pretty damn good anyway.

Back