• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tonly's 2011 grow log

2010 was my first season of growing anything other than the common jalapenos, serranos, etc. I have big plans for 2011. I'll try to document it here. There are so many top rate gardeners and photographers here that this will pale in comparison.
I have some random pics posted here from 2010: My link

I have my first seeds down and several plants overwintering that I'll take pics of soon. Still working on my grow list for 2011. So many peppers, only so much room.
Toby

Update on the happenings in the greenhouse the last week or so.

Been running the lights some as sun up to sun down is only about 10 hours right now.

DSC_0002.jpg

The Water Farm Fatali keeps ripening pods.

DSC_0014.jpg

The Winter Texans waitin' for Spring.

DSC_0017.jpg

New seedlings with their mantis guards.

DSC_0010.jpg

The DWC setup.

DSC_0003.jpg

Yellow Scorpion growing in coconut chunks in the DWC.

DSC_0015.jpg

You can see a few more pics here: December 6, 2010

Wow looking awesome. Wonder if your neighbors are wondering what your growing in there lol.

I have seen a couple helicopters overhead goin' low and slow. They must be able to tell there isn't anything of interest to them cause they haven't been back.

I am still planting more seeds. I cooked quite a few. Had them on seedling mats with a thermostat but didn't allow for the "greenhouse effect" of the humidity domes. Morning and evening temps were a nice 84 to 87F. Came home midday to find the Sun raising it to 112F. :shocked:

Last year I used the paper towel method to germinate and it worked great. Thought I would try planting directly into 4 packs this year. With the high temps giving low germination rates, I have alot of 4 packs with only 1 or 2 plants. I'm going back to the paper towel method. I brought a heat mat inside and put a tray of water on it. It's holding a constant 83F. Should see much better germination rates.

do you measure co2 levels inside the greenhouse? id imaging with all the gass your burning it gets pretty high in their, the plants must love it. though it might be to cold for the plants to fully use it?

Nice looking greenhouse!
I will have to do something like that for my next winter to keep everything growing. I have all the materials just need the time to do it.

do you measure co2 levels inside the greenhouse? id imaging with all the gass your burning it gets pretty high in their, the plants must love it. though it might be to cold for the plants to fully use it?

I haven't measured the CO2. Don't know much about it but suspect the plants don't benefit from extra CO2 when it is dark. When the Sun is shining, the heater isn't running. If it is sunny on a 20F degree day the temp inside will be close to 80F or higher.

Thanks megamoo. I know what you mean about time. Never enough of it. I have spent lots of time in my garden but never have I wasted 1 minute there!

I haven't measured the CO2. Don't know much about it but suspect the plants don't benefit from extra CO2 when it is dark. When the Sun is shining, the heater isn't running. If it is sunny on a 20F degree day the temp inside will be close to 80F or higher.

Thanks megamoo. I know what you mean about time. Never enough of it. I have spent lots of time in my garden but never have I wasted 1 minute there!

i see i had just assumed the burners were running during the day aswell i didnt know a greenhouse worked in such cold.

A couple days ago the vent was open and the exhaust fan was cycling on and off. The thermostat is set at 80F and it was 30F outside. When the sun shines it gets warm!

Another update. The praying mantis are all over the place. The only bugs that seem to have a personality. I have enjoyed watching them.
Added 4 more DWC hydro buckets bringing the total to 10. Plants growing in them are: 4 yellow scorpions from 3 sources. One is SR strain, one totally unknown, and two are probably CARDI. 7 pot Primo, 7 pot Barrackpore, Peach Hab, and a Jamaican Hot Chocolate with 2 buckets still not planted. The JHC may actually be crossed with a purple ornamental. Should be a cool plant.
Potted up some of the first batch of seedlings. They look much better in their new homes.

The DWC setup:

DSC_0002.jpg

Here is the JHC possible cross. I've had some other seedlings with purple coloring due to light or nutrients but this one looks too much like the purple ornamental the mother plant grew next to this year.

DSC_0005.jpg

The soil temps were getting high in the black pots so I wrapped them in aluminum foil. These are the plants I dug out of the garden around Oct. 26. They were basically bare stems then. Lots of new growth, even some blooms on some.

DSC_0010.jpg

A shot of the newly re-potted plants.

DSC_0007.jpg

This is the same Yellow Scorpion in coconut chunks from the update about 2 weeks ago.. It's growing just not real fast.

DSC_0017.jpg

Any suggestions on varieties to put in the remaining 2 DWC buckets?

And here's the link to the rest of today's attempt at photography Greenouse update 12/19/2010

Nice going T, just wondering though, do the DWC with Coco Coir use more Nutes than the Hydroton? Just curious because in all you're pics they seem to be a lot wetter on the surface than the Hydroton, and I thought that maybe it would evaporate quicker.

:cheers:

Jas

Nice going T, just wondering though, do the DWC with Coco Coir use more Nutes than the Hydroton? Just curious because in all you're pics they seem to be a lot wetter on the surface than the Hydroton, and I thought that maybe it would evaporate quicker.

:cheers:

Jas

The pics where the coco looks wet is because I have the water level really high in the bucket and had just watered from the top because I had just put the plants in. I will lower the water level after a few days but for now the 2 newest seedlings just aren't big enough to reach the moisture.
The store I bought the coconut croutons from stocks it for orchid growers but it was cheaper than hydroton so I'm trying it as a grow medium. Seems to be just fine for this purpose. I doubt that it will be re-usable though.

Timmie, the Fatali was a neglected leftover plant that grew in a small pot in dirt from January till August when I put it in the Water Farm unit. It is a little pod factory right now.

It's been a couple of weeks since an update. When you see something everyday the changes seem minor but looking at pics from 2 weeks ago compared with today...WOW!

This is the biggest of the Yellow Scorpions in DWC. This one is from PepperLover:

DSC_0005.jpg

Roots are growing too:

DSC_0026.jpg

This one is shown in post #33 above. It was the last picture in that post. This is 2 weeks growth:

DSC_0004.jpg

This is the whole DWC setup:

DSC_0036.jpg

Compare these to the 4th picture in post #33.

DSC_0013.jpg

I potted up some more plants that were really small. Size-wise not ready to re-pot but they weren't doing well in the mix they were in. Potted them up on 2 days before this pic and they already look a little better.

DSC_0012.jpg

In the pic above you can see a few very tall plants. All my scotch bonnets are tall. Is this normal? Never grown them before.

This isn't a pepper but thought I'd put it in here anyway. We were given this plant in 1994 and has been pretty neglected over the years. Decided it deserved a new pot, so, I trimmed it up and now my biggest container is home to a ponytail palm instead of a pepper plant. I used the hydroton just as a decorative mulch.

DSC_0039.jpg

Now, back to the peppers! I cut back and dug out of the garden the Yellow 7 plant that produced pods with stingers or tails. It is now flowering and still putting out the unique pods. Here are a couple:

DSC_0019.jpg

Same plant, different pod shape

DSC_0018.jpg

The Water Farm Fatali just keeps on putting out fresh pods:

DSC_0014.jpg

Some small Bhut Jolokia pods and a bloom:

DSC_0023.jpg

One of the pubescens trying to bud:

DSC_0021.jpg

You can find more of today's photos here: Greenhouse Jan 2, 2011

Anybody want some fresh Fatalis?

Picked all the ripe Fatali and Yellow 7's today. Definitely not the big pods of summer will still heat up your day!

DSC_0005-1.jpg

Back