• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Tons of big wood in promix

I used pro mix potting and seeding mix last year and bought the same this year. There are tons of big pieces of wood in and and I wondered if I missed it last year or what? Some pieces were like driftwood.
012-4.jpg

what type of Promix (HP, BX or one of their other container brands?
I am thinking of buying HP but am waiting for it to come on sale.

I got a bail for some plants and noticed the same thing. Although not a lot I was surprised to find any. I got BX

I have the potting and seeding mix as well as the BX and HP. I haven't found any twigs in any of them. Seems strange, but it'll happen. It's the soils where there are tonnes of twigs that aren't the greatest to deal with.

I have seen piece of wood like that before in Pro-Mix BX, not to worried just a few pieces. Only worried when I am starting seed in the mix, not when it goes outside in containers.

thats much better then the 8 inch piece of lumber with a nail in it and the broken glass I found in the wal-mart "expert gardener" mix lol

I mixed my pro-mix BX by hand with compost and found no chunks of anything in my bale.

thats much better then the 8 inch piece of lumber with a nail in it and the broken glass I found in the wal-mart "expert gardener" mix lol

Seems like the walmart employees may have been drinking a little too much hooch at work and got a little out of hand.

This is my first year using Pro Mix BX and I was kind of disappointed with the amount of small twigs and the occasional pencil sized chunks of wood I found in it. Wasn't that much percentage wise of course. I buy the 3.8 compressed bales.

This is my first year using Pro Mix BX and I was kind of disappointing with the amount of small twigs and the occasional pencil sized chunks of wood I found in it. Wasn't that much percentage wise of course. I buy the 3.8 compressed bales.

I'm confused by this. There should be no garden/ground junk in ProMix. It's basically peat + vermiculite + perlite - not dirt such as you'd find in a bag of garden soil from Home Depot. I've used about 8 or 9 3.8 cu. ft. bales of ProMix and have never seen a twig, stick or anything like that.

I'm using the stuff that comes in the white bags. Are you referring to the stuff that comes in the black bag?

I've bought two bales and they both had chunks of wood in them. A couple were as wide and thick as a carpenters pencil. Most were about two inches in length and about as big around as this guy: :mad: I would estimate between 200 and 250 of them per bale.

I've used pro-mix in bales for many years and have never found chunks. When I worked in a commercial greenhouse, we'd go through 50+ bags a year. Looks to me like some of you guys got a bottom layer of peat that wasn't screened properly for some reason

The one bale I tried had a few small peat twigs (probably a dozen) in it but nothing major and I was satisfied. For the premium price they charge though, if I had major wood in the mix I'd return it and maybe they would improve quality control if enough returns occurred.

I agree for the money it should be screened much better. I've got about a quarter of a bale left so instead of tossing the wood I'll collect it and post a pic in this thread.

:woohoo: Yeah screen out all the small stuff and there wouldn't be anything left. I keep what most people throw away. More airflow aye?
Why not grow in bark and wood chips?

:woohoo: Yeah screen out all the small stuff and there wouldn't be anything left. I keep what most people throw away. More airflow aye?
Why not grow in bark and wood chips?

My potting mix is over 50% bark, but when I buy bags of bark, that's what I expect and when I buy Pro Mix at a premium price I expect a professional quality controlled mix that doesn't require screening.

Back