• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Too hot?

What is too hot for germination? All of my seeds in soil are at a a pretty even 85-86 degrees, but I can't seem to keep my paper towel soak at a regular temp. My house is at around 70 degrees and my satellite box just doesn't get warm enough. I had them on the light reflector and it was getting in the 90's. What temp am I cooking the seeds into oblivion?

Most say you'll be cooking them if you get into the upper 90s.

85-86 should be close to ideal.

If you have a gas stove, consider setting your germ trays on the range top. The pilot light burning under the range creates a pretty agreeable environment for a lot of the seeds I plant.

Never had a temp issue, never had to use a heat mat, just put em in the Jiffy trays and let em go, maybe its cause I'm in FL?

Never had a temp issue, never had to use a heat mat, just put em in the Jiffy trays and let em go, maybe its cause I'm in FL?

I've often wondered if this was true. I really thought about just skipping the whole heat mat thing and trying this, but everything I read says 80+ and my house is 70 at most.

Cool. So basically I should stop being a worry wart. :) My jiffy trays are good so far, just don't want to cook my paper towel soaks.

I stopped using paper soaks a long time ago, they are a pain in the ass and never seemed to improve the germ rate enough tah justify the extra time involved.

Using a heat mat or any other source of heat isn't required. It's been found that the superhots will germinate quicker if they're kept nice and toasty, 80F to 86F is what I've always read. Cooler temps, to a point obviously, just means it will take longer for the seed to pop. Much higher temps and you run the risk of drying the medium and seed out and creating the perfect environment for nasties ie., fungus' and molds.

Back