• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Too much Epsom salt?

I figured id spray some Epsom salt on my pepper plants so I did and now 1 day later some of the leaves have turned yellow and are falling off. I mixed about 1.5 tablespoons of Epsom salt in an empty car cleaning chemical wash bottle the size of a windex bottle. It contains soapy water and Epsom salt. Now the plants look miserable. did I over do it?

Well I normally do 1 tbl./ gallon for pouring on the soil. So for spraying on the leaves I imagine it would be a 1/10 of that.

Yeah that's too hot a mix.  Rinse the leaves off if you haven't already with enough water to flush the soil a bit too.

Sounds like the problem is from too much epsom salt, but you said the bottle also contains soapy water. Is that from soap you added, or just what was left of the original "car cleaning chemicals"? That could also be a factor if the bottle wasn't washed out very thoroughly before mixing up your solution. Personally I wouldn't use an old chemical bottle for anything on my plants. New spray bottles should only cost a buck or two. :)

FireBreath said:
Sounds like the problem is from too much epsom salt, but you said the bottle also contains soapy water. Is that from soap you added, or just what was left of the original "car cleaning chemicals"? That could also be a factor if the bottle wasn't washed out very thoroughly before mixing up your solution. Personally I wouldn't use an old chemical bottle for anything on my plants. New spray bottles should only cost a buck or two. :)
I washed it extremely thoroughly dude. And I used what was laying around the house

obeychase said:
I washed it extremely thoroughly dude. And I used what was laying around the house

Nothing wrong with being resourceful, as long as you're careful, which it sounds like you were. The "soapy water" part kinda threw me off is all

A few questions, did you spray the plant in full sun? What type of soap? Dish detergent or something stronger and at what concentration? Was it a soap/water mix for your typical soft body insect infestation? Also when you apply dish soap and water for insects you should rinse the leaves off after 2-3 hrs as it can cause damage to the leaves. Some plants can be sensitive to dish soaps as well, just depends on the plant. I've mostly heard that too high a concentration of epsom salt (esp foliar) can cause leaf scorch similar to fertilizer burn, have never heard of leaves turning yellow but i'm not saying that it doesn't happen. Hell in Pepper Joe's faq and videos he tells people to use 2 TBSP epsom salt in normal size spray bottle, that's a lot. I've never personally used or seen someone use too much epsom salt spray but I've read about it and what damage it can cause. Hopefully the plant will bounce back with no issues.

I use 2 tbsp:32 oz water. Never had any problems and have been doing it for 2 years

I mix my sulfur at about the same ratio
30 ml:32 oz to be exact

I dont think epsom salt is the problem. pepperjoe.com has this answer to someone else.

"Epson Salt and fertilizers Dear Pepper Joe,
Oh Master of everything Hot and Spicy, I have a question. You frequently recommend using epson salt on Hot Pepper plants. Why and how much should I use? Any other tips, oh wise one, on fertilizers?
M. Wells, Charlotte, NC

Hi M.
Epsom salt delivers a immediate shot-in-the arm of magnesium to the plants and boost growth when applied as a foliar spray. Mix 2 tablespoons of Epson Salt in an average size spray bottle...shake it vigorously and apply to plant every 2 weeks with a thorough soaking. My favorite fertilizer is Fish Emulsion. I like it because it is a great all-around fertilizer and 100% organic. An alternative if Organic isn't important to you is Miracle-gro or it's equivalent.
Use your choice of fertilizer every other week on alternate weeks from the Epson Salt spray. Therefore, your Chile plants are getting fed weekly.
Fiery Regards,
Pepper Joe"

^  I'm wondering if the issue is how much magnesium is already in the soil, whether you're giving them a needed dose or they now have excess.  It could also be that the soap caused higher leaf coating and absorption rate by reducing the water surface tension.

pwb said:
I dont think epsom salt is the problem. pepperjoe.com has this answer to someone else.

"Epson Salt and fertilizers Dear Pepper Joe,
Oh Master of everything Hot and Spicy, I have a question. You frequently recommend using epson salt on Hot Pepper plants. Why and how much should I use? Any other tips, oh wise one, on fertilizers?
M. Wells, Charlotte, NC

Hi M.
Epsom salt delivers a immediate shot-in-the arm of magnesium to the plants and boost growth when applied as a foliar spray. Mix 2 tablespoons of Epson Salt in an average size spray bottle...shake it vigorously and apply to plant every 2 weeks with a thorough soaking. My favorite fertilizer is Fish Emulsion. I like it because it is a great all-around fertilizer and 100% organic. An alternative if Organic isn't important to you is Miracle-gro or it's equivalent.
Use your choice of fertilizer every other week on alternate weeks from the Epson Salt spray. Therefore, your Chile plants are getting fed weekly.
Fiery Regards,
Pepper Joe"
The issue of an overdose of Epsom Salt via foliar feeding came up in the topic Epsom Salt Burn has been discussed previously. Both of the growers that tried the quoted application rate saw the result of fertiliser overdose. Using that concentration is not recommended.

harry said:
The issue of an overdose of Epsom Salt via foliar feeding came up in the topic Epsom Salt Burn has been discussed previously. Both of the growers that tried the quoted application rate saw the result of fertiliser overdose. Using that concentration is not recommended.

I had leaves like the pictures in the epsom salt burn, but i havent used epsom salt in any time at that point. Another point, if i have 2 tsp in 1L spray bottle and use it on 20 plants or 2 plants should have something to say to? How much spray to use pr plant should be mentioned.

pwb said:
I had leaves like the pictures in the epsom salt burn, but i havent used epsom salt in any time at that point. Another point, if i have 2 tsp in 1L spray bottle and use it on 20 plants or 2 plants should have something to say to? How much spray to use pr plant should be mentioned.
The issue jlacosta saw was one likely one of Calcium lock out caused by the overdose of sulphate (from Magnesium sulphate).

jlacosta said:
20131208_162214.jpg
If your leaves are a solid green and bubbly in texture as the in the photo of jlacosta's plant then you should look into the issue of Calcium deficiency. Sometimes Calcium deficiency is caused by a lack of readily available Calcium rather than the Calcium simply not being present. i.e. Bad pH or interaction between fertiliser components.

The reference I mentioned in a post to the other thread is still available and the post is quoted below:

harry said:
What you can see above is one type of fertiliser burn. An excess of other nutrients may present itself differently. See Symptoms of Deficiencies and Toxicities by Element on hydroponics.net for a table that describes the impact of an excess of other nutrients.
Have a read of the Sulfur and Magnesium sections of the table and see if they describe any symptoms of deficiency on your plant:
S Sulfur: Deficiency: The initial symptoms are the yellowing of the entire leaf including veins usually starting with the younger leaves. Leaf tips may yellow and curl downward.

Mg Magnesium: Deficiency: The older leaves will be the first to develop interveinal chlorosis. Starting at leaf margin or tip and progressing inward between the veins.
It can at times be a little tricky narrowing down a nutrient issue as some of them initially have similar symptoms.

A chart I referenced a while back provides a good visualisation of how the symptoms may be similar:
harry said:
There are a few nutrient issues that affect older and young leaves in severe cases. Take a look at my primary reference, Symptoms of Deficiencies and Toxicities by Element, to see if it helps you identify other symptoms.

I think it's worth investigating whether you have a possible nutrient lockout issue as raised by AtomicCobraPeppers. The Impact of Mineral Deficiency Stress article lists some of the causes of deficiencies.

Queequeg152 referenced a useful chart a while back when somebody else was having a different issue:
when a plant is calcium deficient, the margins tend grow at a slower rate than that of midrib or center portion of the leaf. thats why you tend to see distortion with calcium.

we can infer its not nitrogen because nitrogen is mobile and begins at the bottom of the plant and moves towards the top. we can infer it is not magnesium because mag also shows up on older leaves first, it also tends to show up in the leaf margins first as interveinal chlorosis.

this imo is the best flowchart for deficiency symptopms. keep in mind some of these symptoms can also be caused by PH etc.
nutrient_deficiency_flowchart.gif

i dont think anyone here is claiming its 100% calcium deficiency, or at least i am not. it just seems to strongly resemble it.

IMO you should take stock of what exactly you are giving the plants using that website i linked. your fertilizer bottles should have all the necessary information. use saltmix.xls or that website i linked.
I've kept a printed copy of the Symptoms of Deficiencies and Toxicities table and the Diagnostic Flow-Chart handy for a while. In my first season I had plants with interveinal chlorosis (yellowing between the veins) that wasn't resolved simply by the application of Epsom Salts. The table is additionally handy as it lists the symptoms of toxicities. The yellowing obeychase saw is a symptom of Sulfur toxicity.

harry said:
The issue jlacosta saw was one likely one of Calcium lock out caused by the overdose of sulphate (from Magnesium sulphate).

So its better to use magnesum chloride?

I too used the 2tbs/32oz recommended mix and it cratered the two plants I tried it on
I then used 1 tbs/32oz and saw nothing negative with the two plants it was used on

1TBS per 32oz proved out for my use

pwb said:
So its better to use magnesum chloride?
I haven't personally used Magnesium chloride due to lack of availability. What I have read suggests more care needs to be taken when foliar feeding with chlorides due to the toxicity level of it on plants being lower.

I have foliar feed plants with a mixture of Magnesium nitrate and Calcium nitrate in the past.

Do any of your plants have older leaves with green veins but yellowing in between them? The photos I have seen in your previous posts are of green plants.

Back