• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

"Too much" hot pepper in the sauce

So one of the critiques I have read (thank you for all who have sent back the survey, btw) said that there was too much heat in the sauce. Almost as if i exceeded the requirement of the ammount of pepper matter in the sauce itself.

Example:

100g of red hab in a 1200G batch may be medium heat, 250G may be very hot, but 500G may be just as hot as the 250G but the flavor of the red hab becomes over powering... almost as if it was a diminished / inverse return.

I've noticed on some recipes that only a handful of habaneros are used to make the entire batch... where my model has allowed for a set % of the total weight to be used.

I often use 450G of red hab in a sauce. Perhaps I only need 200? Has anyone else noticed that using too many peppers doesn't, infact, increase the heat but 'flips' the flavor instead?

Some of the best sauces I have had are all hot peppers with just a tad of vinegar and salt. AJ's puree for example. I like to taste the pepper. And the heat depends on the pepper.

What the heck does "flip" the flavor mean?

I think I understand what you’re asking here and this is just my 2 cents.

You can achieve your flavor profile but to reach your target heat level you have to increase the amount of peppers to a level that alters the flavor profile, maybe not in a negative way but it’s not the same. That’s a tradeoff that you’re going to have to make a decision on. The only other way to reach a target heat level without changing the flavor profile is using something like Salsa Ladies Pure Evil to add heat while not changing the flavor. Personally, I’d rather match my flavor profile and know that I’m making a tasty sauce, even at a lower heat than put out a sauce that’s not as good but has a higher heat. You might also consider the peppers your using. If your using 250 grams of Orange Habs try 250 grams of Red Savina’s and see if you’re getting the heat without affecting the flavor.

Flip the flavor is what im trying to convey as going from a balanced sauce flavor wise, to one that tastes too much like the pepper and you cant discern the other ingredients

Too much of anything can do that not just peppers. Too much sugar all you taste is sugar.

Make your perfect flavor and worry about the heat later (like RM said) you can always toss in a super hot or two and increase the heat quite a bit without changing the flavor profile that much.

There are a lot of chiles with similar flavor profiles and drastically different heat levels. IMHO, orange habs have a totally different profile than Red Savina, which are more along the lines of a 7 Pot. T-scorps have a different profile than 7 Pots, even though they are both considered superhots. I wouldn't throw in a moruga into a red savina sauce to jack up the heat. Maybe a 7 Pot... your own research of flavors will help out in achieving the balance you are looking for. Also, I know it's a pita, but you may want to consider removing seeds etc and only using the flesh to keep the chile flavor at the forefront.

with the way i make my sauces im not sure too much is possible(that is for me personally) on the other hand as king said worry about the heat later

i do in respect of a very hot sauce(puree ie) and cut it back with other things to bring balance
but for the most part most have praised the flavor of my sauces because they could actually taste the peppers in it
some have said "ITS TOO HOT" BUT NON HAVE EVER SAID IT DIDN'T TASTE GOOD!! :party: ;)

SO MY BEST ADVICE WOULD BE TO EXPERIMENT LIKE I DO :dance: !! i have found its the only to know what works and what doesn't and what do you have to lose most times when i have never had a batch that i could not use in something else

thanks your friend Joe

Back