• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Took the first step

I made a hot sauce on Friday, and used 5 of the "yellow chiles". I saved about 1/2 the seeds (50 or so)
I placed 2/3 of the seeds in a damp paper towel and into a ziplock bag
I place 1/3 of the seeds in a damp napkin and into a ziplock bag
The baggies were placed on a paper plates and put on top of my cable box where it's warm.

How long should I wait before I pen the bags and check for germination?

Do you know the species of pepper you have? If they're annuums, they'll probably be ready in a day or two. If they're a variety that typically takes longer (like some chinenses), it may be another week before you see signs of life.
     I usually plant all the seeds of a variety as soon as I see one seed in the batch poke out a radicle (sometimes even before). Even if there's no overt sign of growth, the seeds will be hydrated and have a jumpstart on breaking dormancy. The less time seeds spend on paper, the less chance for mold or root damage.

Also, there's nothing wrong with opening the bag and checking often. I do it like 50 times a day.  ;) Once they start to pop, I'm like a little kid on Christmas morning!

dash 2 said:
     Also, there's nothing wrong with opening the bag and checking often. I do it like 50 times a day.  ;) Once they start to pop, I'm like a little kid on Christmas morning!

I too, share in this sickness. I've checked my MoA seeds every day since I put them in wet paper towel. I add a small splash of water when the paper towel seems dry. I've got 4 out of 6 or 7 with tap roots now. The last time I left seeds in the towel so long that they sprouted, shed the case and were fighting to find light :). After that it was simply a matter of filling a small pot, poking a hole in the soil and dropping the seeding in. 

It seems to me that checking them often allows fresh air into the baggy and at the seeds. I've had way less mould and a seemingly higher success rate in recent times when doing it this way. I can't quantify any of this though.

Neil

Halbrust said:
Not sure of the type. Probable caribe.
They're sold at eh grocery store as "yellow peppers"
Got any pics? But yeah they may take a while.. I've had them go with in a few days to weeks. Soon as you see a little white tail I'd pop em in your soil/mix.

Also its not gonna hurt to peek but make sure if there is a root be carefull not to damage it.

Didn't check last night. But my wife said she thought they sprouted.

Will check them tonight and get them in some seed starting potting mix if the have tails.

Smileyguy: Pics of the peppers, or seeds?

My experience has been longer time for popping, but mine have all been bhuts, scorpions, etc.  I also check frequently.  The last batch that I did this way was fine on Friday when we left for a weekend trip, and very long roots by the time we came back!  RIght now I have brain strains and bahamian goats in the towels, but they aren't taking...  :(

Maybe...

lMPray0.jpg

It worked!!!!

Those are my "yellow peppers" I took seeds from

Halbrust said:

Those are my "yellow peppers" I took seeds from
     I think those are cascabellas. They are a variety of annuum.

edit: Just noticed the broiler pan. You gonna roast those babies? High five, if so!  :party:

Those ones were roasted, peeled, deseeded and used in bread.
The ones that didn't get used in the bread were frozen for later use.

Back