Top 10 Craft Beers

Whilst cruzin through the news pages following the developments with Isaac and the storm creap near to us, I happened upon a link to www.gayot.com (pronunced Guy Oh according to the website) where they had picked the top 10 Craft Beers.

Link: http://www.gayot.com/beer/top10craft-beers/main.html

Here's the list, and I've only had, even seen 1 off of this list. I lead such a sheltered life :rolleyes:

Allagash Curieux
Bourbon Barrel Aged Tripel
Allagash Brewing Company/Portland, Maine
Price: $18 for 750 ml
11 per cent ABV

Gordon Biersch IPB-Imperial Pilsner Brau
Imperial Pilsner
Gordon Biersch Brewing Company/San Jose, California
Price: $9 for 750 ml
6.5 per cent ABV

Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere
Saison/Farmhouse Ale
Jolly Pumpkin Artisanal Ales/Dexter, Michigan
Price: $12 for 25 oz
4.5 per cent ABV

Old Foghorn Ale
English Barleywine
Anchor Brewing Company/San Francisco, California
Price: $15 for a six-pack of 12 oz
8.2 per cent ABV

Orval
Belgian Pale Ale
Brasserie d'Orval/Abbaye Notre-Dame d'Orval, Belgium
Price: $5 for 11.2 oz
6.9 per cent ABV

Saison Dupont
Saison/Farmhouse Ale
Brasserie Dupont/Tourpes, Belgium
Price: $9 for 750 ml
6.5 per cent ABV

Schneider Weisse Original
Bavarian Hefeweizen
G. Schneider & Sohn/ Kelheim, Germany
Price: $3.59 for 16.9 oz
5.40 per cent ABV

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
American Pale Ale
Sierra Nevada Brewing Company/Chico, California
Price: $8 for six-pack of 12 oz
5.6 per cent ABV

Three Floyds Dark Lord
Russian Imperial Stout
Three Floyds Brewing/Munster, Indiana
Price: $60 for 4-pack of 22 oz (or $15 for 22 oz)
13 per cent ABV

Uinta Detour Double IPA
American Double/Imperial India Pale Ale
Uinta Brewing Company/Salt Lake City, Utah
Price: $8 for 750 ml
9.5 percent ABV

So, have any of you been able to enjoy any of these brews? Let us know what you had and what you thought.

Oh, the only one I've had I would be willing to bet a dollar to a doughnut that you've had too.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

RM

I have had the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. And, like you, I've only heard of that one, never heard of the others.

Sierra Nevada is pretty good but I don't think I would put it in my top 10. I think it's kind of funny that out of those 10 beers it's probably the one that's most available. I'll have to ask my beer snob friend if he's heard of these. Will be interesting to see if anyone else on the forum has heard of the others.

I've heard raves about the Three Floyds, but never tried it. I'll try to find some at Total Wine in a bit and let you know....Sierra Nevada started the craft brewing phenomena in the US so it always gets props... As for the rest, I'll go with Aleheads.com instead of some random culture website.

i've had the old foghorn. it's a barleywine so it's very strong, very malty. i like it, but i prefer an ipa style beer.
also had the orval. pretty good, but i prefer delirium tremens if i'm gonna go belgian
sierra nevada is always good, but my favorite brewery is lagunitas. check out lagunitas maximus, or if you can find it, the seasonal "undercover investigation shutdown ale." those are my 2 favorites.

Of the beers listed, I have only had Sierra Nevada, which I am a big fan of. The only other beer that is slightly familiar is the one from three floyds. Three Floyds is one of my favorite all time breweries as I have had a few of their other beers which were awesome. Have not tried or heard of this one. Unfortunately, they are rather small and don't distribute very far from their brewery. I drank a lot of their beers when I lived in Chicago 5 years ago but now live in Minneapolis and they do not distribute this far west.

I'm with you wbyrd01, I'm hoping our resident Brewmaster wheebz will stop in. If there is a beer available in the states he's most likely heard of it or had one.

BTW, that First Batt patch is lookin good. I was stationed at Stewart twice and was lucky enough to have a couple of Rangers from Hunter with us when I went to PLDC. Learned a ton from those guys and get a couple of beers in them and the bull would get to rolling.

Good Times

Not to come off as a snob, but I have been fortunate enough to have all of the top 100 rated beers of all time according to Ratebeer, and Beeradvocate!

I have been a craft beer drinker/collector since 1989.

The list you posted is not really a very good representation of some of the styles.

In my opinion Gordon Biersch doesn't make ANYTHING worth drinking.
Orval is a good Belgian if that is your style.
Sierra Nevada has become the Coors Light of the craft beer world, It's fine, but if you REALLY like pale ale there are LOTS of better options. Ska Brewing makes an American IPA called Modus Hoperandi that is fantastic.

With distribution laws what they are, we all can't get the same things. Without going into a 20 page diatribe on freshness, proper storage etc. If you are in CA you should drink a FRESH (Dated bottle) Pliny the Elder from Russian River Brewing!

As for the "Dark lord" and the farce that is "Dark Lord day" each year, it's disgusting! You will not find a legitimate beer connoisseur that enjoys it! If you want an amazing bourbon barrel aged RIS (Russian Imperial Stout) go find yourself Goose Island Bourbon County Stout!!!!

Like I said, I could write for HOURS on the subject, but it would be boring and make me sound pretentious.

You can go to either of the websites I listed and research the top beers rated by their subscribers, not some article jockey! :)

Hopping down from my soapbox .........

KAT

i've had the old foghorn. it's a barleywine so it's very strong, very malty. i like it, but i prefer an ipa style beer.
also had the orval. pretty good, but i prefer delirium tremens if i'm gonna go belgian
sierra nevada is always good, but my favorite brewery is lagunitas. check out lagunitas maximus, or if you can find it, the seasonal "undercover investigation shutdown ale." those are my 2 favorites.

Lagunitas is awesome !!!

Here's to the weekend, a few craft beers that I'll drink from the collection.

post-7027-0-73678400-1345846676_thumb.jpg

Here's my weekend selection, I can't get any Three Floyds locally.

Lagunitas is quickly becoming my favorite brewer...pushing out Cigar City, which is no easy task.

IMG_20120824_182303.jpg

Two Hearted is probably the best balanced beer I've ever tasted.

If you haven't tasted Tocobaga Red, the hop aroma is wonderful...it comes on strong and hoppy then it gets sweet...very, very, nice.

The Hop Wallop has a almost candy like taste that fades immediately...very good and fruity with a stronger yeast flavor afterward,.

bell's is great beer. the two hearted, hopslam (possibly the best beer ever) and i love the the kalamazoo stout. love bell's.

I have to admit I've never had Hopslam... it's just never available here...DIPA's aren't really my forte. I like the singles and regular ales more, but I'm running out of new ones to try.

I have to admit I've never had Hopslam... it's just never available here...DIPA's aren't really my forte. I like the singles and regular ales more, but I'm running out of new ones to try.
my local abc gets hopslam every year. as well as another small liquor store in my area. it's hard to get and every year they get less and less because everybody wants it. so good. it's brewed with honey and it is just amazing.

Scared to choose the 3rd one to open, all are very strong here on out!

yeah i'm a bit tipsy myself

Little Sumpin Wild for me i think

You kinda have to drink the Hopslam now....

my local abc gets hopslam every year. as well as another small liquor store in my area. it's hard to get and every year they get less and less because everybody wants it. so good. it's brewed with honey and it is just amazing.

Bradenton with the good beers....and the Roo too... I'm jelly..

Back