favorite Top 5 favorite breweries?

My top 3 here in Québec, in no particular order (too many breweries would fight for the 2 remaining slots) :

- Sir John (mainly hop-focused beers but also some next level stouts)
- Noctem (mostly IPA/DIPA/NEIPA)
- Boréale: one of our first breweries (1987) to produce beer styles other than lager and ale! For maybe 3 years now, they've been releasing two "Episode" beers every month, which are new recipes brewed in smaller batches. At least half of these are hop-forward beers, but the rest are spread across a wide variety of styles, perfect for beer whores like me 🙄 :beer:

Last edited:
For me, gotta be dark - porter or stout

1. Guinness
2. New Holland Brewing (Dragon's Milk stout)
3. Blue Mountain Brewery (Dark Hollow stout)
4. Left Hand Brewery (Milk Stout Nitro)
5. Strangeways Brewing (Woodbooger Belgian Dark Ale)
6. Founders Brewing (Porter)
...any many more

For me, gotta be dark - porter or stout

1. Guinness
2. New Holland Brewing (Dragon's Milk stout)
3. Blue Mountain Brewery (Dark Hollow stout)
4. Left Hand Brewery (Milk Stout Nitro)
5. Strangeways Brewing (Woodbooger Belgian Dark Ale)
6. Founders Brewing (Porter)
...any many more
I used to live near Left Hand, great choice.

Sierra Nevada is my all time favorite, Stone was on the list as well, but they sold to Sapporo in August 2022, so not sure how that will affect the craft. Lagunitas was ok, but was acquired by Heineken. If you look at the top of Sierra Nevada cans and bottles you will see "Family owned, operated & argued over... I really hope they stay independent.

Cheers!

IMG_0002.JPG

I was not aware of the sale of Stone. I can say that Bastard doesn't appear to have changed since then, but that might be why I haven't seen any one-shot special releases lately.

Some beers I always wanted to try are Pliny the elder and Pliny the younger respectfully, but they seem beyond the reach of mortal man. The Trappist beers while available, are crazy high in alcohol content. None the less, the monastery beers are almost a craft above.

In no particular order:

1. Uinta (Baba Black Lager)
2. Celis (Celis White)
3. Live Oak (Hefeweizen)
4. Saint Arnolds (Amber)
5. Normaltown Brewing (all of them)

My basic stand-by is Sam Adams. Pretty sure that one isn't going to be sold anytime soon.

There's a local NC one I like: Foothills. They make a pretty decent pilsner (Torch) and a good IPA (Hoppyum) that I like to keep on hand.

My basic stand-by is Sam Adams. Pretty sure that one isn't going to be sold anytime soon.

There's a local NC one I like: Foothills. They make a pretty decent pilsner (Torch) and a good IPA (Hoppyum) that I like to keep on hand.
I always enjoyed Red Oak. I grab some whenever I am back.

How's the recently 'remasted' recipe? I haven't had a Boston Lager in ages and now I'm not sure if it's worth trying.

How's the recently 'remasted' recipe? I haven't had a Boston Lager in ages and now I'm not sure if it's worth trying.
I actually had some of the before and after that i tried back-to-back.

Really pretty close, not a big change at all. The new one is a little brighter and crisper, that's about it. I'm guessing a bit of a drop in the darker malts and maybe a change in the hop variety. Unlike Coke, they didn't break it!

Not in order

Barncat Ales
Wellington
Nickle Brook
Beau's
Collective Arts

things change, one closed, a couple have fallen off slightly and some new players in the game .

in no order again

Wellington
Nickel Brook (spelled correctly this time)
Storm Stayed
Fairweather
Royal City - this is more of a vibe pick than for straight up great beer (5 mins from home, cool beer hall, great fresh pretzel, decent beers)

The Trappist monastery brewers in France but you have to own stock in Microsoft to get a bottle. So that's out of reach. Dont think they will ever sell out haha.

funny how 100+ years ago they started in France and now there is only 1 French Trappist left (most are in Belgium)

That said, I absolutely agree that it's either local craft or Transit for great beer!

Have any of you had a chance to try out the Russian River Brewing: Supplication, Pliny the elder or Pliny the younger beers by chance??? The supplication beer is supposedly one of the best beers on the planet?? Cannot find them available anywhere.

Cheers!

Back