• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Top death?

I started some seeds early this season mainly to use up the older seeds and hope for a good start on the spring. I have kept them in the sun and out of the cold as best I can. Now, the very top of the Mustard Habaneros are withering and dying. The Fatalii are doing fine. Thanks in advance for any/all help on this issue. Sorry, no pix.

When there indoors, do you keep a light on them? When you say "withering" do you mean like a slow gradual decline from strong, green and vibrant to soft, olive brown and shriveled?

Not much light inside. Withering as in I can see some shriveled brown part where the top of the plant used to be.

Is the shriveling soft or dry/crispy? If it's soft, then somethings probably up. Could be a number of things. If it's dry/crispy it could be that it's getting too much sun. Sounds like your plants are still seedlings too, so just exposure alone could be your issue.

What type of soil are you using and how old is your plant? If it's old enough, certain strains of pepper may demand more food earlier than others.

A few other things to check:

Make sure your soil is not too dry.

If it's not too dry, make sure it's not too moist. Over watering a plant can cause some wierd things to happen, so if you've got soggy soil, I'm willing to bet thats your issue.

Check for bugs. Do so with a magnifying glass if possible. Look under leaves and check the soil itself.

Back