• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Transplanting depth

cone9

Extreme Member
I have always transplanted my tomato plants very deep to benefit from the profuse root growth along all that stem.

However, I thought pepper plants were to be planted at the same depth as they were in their original pots.  I recently saw a reference to planting deeper to encourage root growth from the submerged stem.

What is correct?  Should I re-pot my peppers deeper?

People have varying opinions on this.  I have seen peppers grow roots from the stem when planted deep and I have seen them fail to root from the stem and actually begin to become infected.  With this consideration I just plant them at the level of their root ball with a very small top dressing.

Noah's approach seems the responsible and cautious way.

Personally, I plant deep when potting up only if I feel the root ball hasn't been growing as vigorously as it should. My precautions are to use an healthy medium. The stem seems to root better in high humidity and moderate light. Also, have had less (but not zero) luck after the stem has become woody.

I think planting deeper causes lower leaf issues later on. Next year i will not plant deeper and those problems should go away

I've always heard to plant deeper if the plants are too "leggy". Luckily, with a fan blowing on them (varying speeds and rotating plants) during the pre-plantout grow, my plants have been fairly sturdy. I plant slightly deeper than the original, and then top-dress as needed as already stated.

For peppers, I always pot-up over 3 steps to build as dense a root ball as possible without becoming root bound.  Each pot-up I always do at the same level as the prior step, with just a light layer of worm castings over top to supplement the castings mixed with my potting mix recipe.

Tomatoes I will always bury up to their first true leaves when planting out; which they respond to by shooting out loads more roots.

i plant as deep as i can to help wind problem (i always plant in soil) heavy wind have broke some plants before...

yeah.... that is true... you should definitely stake any taller plants to prevent breaking (pepper plants are pretty brittle honestly).

If young and leggy they go deeper. When setting out in ground or a larger pot they get planted at the same level and I try and remove any lower leaves that touch ground.

Maters get striped of most lower leaves/branches and trench planted.

Back