• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Transplanting seedlings... how deep?

I got a handful of little guys here who are ready to be transplanted but as they are all quite lanky, I am planning on planting them a little deeper than usual... what's a safe depth, or it really doesn't matter?

Dont really matter gas, plant them so that the first leaves are not touching the dirt though. It will send roots out from the stem.

i don't think the lankiness is a result of how deep you plant the seeds. Usually it's from the dome being on too long or lights that they're reaching for in their first day or two of sprouting if they're too far away.

So maybe a cm or two below the first leaves?

Thanks Ballzworth, I do realize that but if I don't plant them rather deep, the little buggers are gonna fall over on me!

Also, anyone know, will planting them deep help correct the lankiness or are they destined to keep growing that way?

gasificada said:
So maybe a cm or two below the first leaves?

Thanks Ballzworth, I do realize that but if I don't plant them rather deep, the little buggers are gonna fall over on me!

Also, anyone know, will planting them deep help correct the lankiness or are they destined to keep growing that way?

hey sorry....i think I may have confused your concerns. I thought you were talking about planting seeds, not the transplant. ooops. You can transplant them right up to the first true leaves. Usually I do it pretty close...or within a cm or two like you mentioned.

These bad boys gonna be getting some serious sun after the transplant... I want to try and pump 'em up before the season end. They are already going off in terms of grow speed.

And finally got me a healthy Guntur growing from seeds I took from some dried pods... It took 50+ attempts and I'm sure as hell not gonna let that baby go!

Thanks brothers!

What gets me though, if you can plant them that deep, why all the fuss over not wanting lanky seedlings?

Because they are a pita and can break easy, it also makes sense to keep them short as if they are leggy they are not getting the light that they need.

True, true.

I guess too, if it's done right to begin with, no need for the extra effort required in correcting them......

But hey, new grower here, I'm using my Get out of Jail free card.... :D

millworkman said:
The fuss is that they are not getting enough light to grow properly.

Damn, I would have loved to have seen how fast these guys grew had they been getting enough light... As soon as they broke surface, they took off like rockets.

The reason they took off like rockets is they were trying to get closer to the "sun"! Otherwise they would have concentrated more on leaf growth and not stem growth.

Novacastrian said:
The reason they took off like rockets is they were trying to get closer to the "sun"! Otherwise they would have concentrated more on leaf growth and not stem growth.

Yuppers

I guess I probably left them in the hot house for a day longer than I should have, but after that, I put them on the window sill and then stems kept growing but so did the leaves as well.

Back